NED for now

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
StDrogo

NED for now

Postby StDrogo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:13 am

Just a brief update. I looked over scans with surgeon from last week today. There's nothing there, so that's good—might be enough of an impetus to lay off on the drinking for the the next six months' reprieve that we've got. The cancer really ought to be back by now, and in a dreadful way, so I'm tempted to revert to an earlier theory that this was never even cancer . . .

ETA: Or that it was actually a borderline ovarian primary of intestinal type all along. The performance status of that rare subset of colorectal patients (29 reported, not including my wife) with ovarian metastases involving concomitant ascites and pleural effusions without diffuse disease is exceptionally good compared to the normal cohort of CRC patients with ovarian metastases, who generally have a dismal prognosis.
Wife Age 33
02/17 dx Ovarian mass, ascites, pleural effusions
03/17 Resection of 16 x 20 cm ovarian mass; CEA = 10, CA125 = 180, CA19-9 = 36
04/17 Emergency surgery, diastatic perforation, purulent peritonitis, extended right hemicolectomy, well-differentiated adenocarcinoma in splenic flexure, 1/16 lymph
11/17 CT = NED, CEA < 1
12/17 CRS (peritoneal nodules of foreign body giant cell reaction, no evidence of malignancy; liver resection—1 cm FBGCR and .5 cm focal nodular hyperplasia), HIPEC

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Re: NED for now

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:32 pm

Congratulations to your wife on being NED!
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Dh13

Re: NED for now

Postby Dh13 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:12 pm

StDrogo wrote:Just a brief update. I looked over scans with surgeon from last week today. There's nothing there, so that's good—might be enough of an impetus to lay off on the drinking for the the next six months' reprieve that we've got. The cancer really ought to be back by now, and in a dreadful way, so I'm tempted to revert to an earlier theory that this was never even cancer . . .

ETA: Or that it was actually a borderline ovarian primary of intestinal type all along. The performance status of that rare subset of colorectal patients (29 reported, not including my wife) with ovarian metastases involving concomitant ascites and pleural effusions without diffuse disease is exceptionally good compared to the normal cohort of CRC patients with ovarian metastases, who generally have a dismal prognosis.

Diagnosed with colon cancer in 2013, did the colostomy, reversal and then six months of chemo. In 2015, I had a metastasis to one ovary and opted to have that one ovary removed. I didn’t want to do full hysterectomy unless it looked like cancer on other ovary. I figured I was not up for early menopause only to die a year later. Well, here I sit over three years later and very lucky and grateful to be NED. My oncologist told me he didn’t believe my cancer would return given my consistent scans and being past the most dangerous time for recurrence.

Denise

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”