split prep question for scope ....

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Deann

split prep question for scope ....

Postby Deann » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi,
I was on this board six years ago when I had my first scope and you all were so wonderfully helpful ... thank you.
At that time, I had asked the doctor's office about whether I could do a split prep (since I had gotten so nauseated from the 'regular' version using miralax/gatorade/dulcolax) so had to cancel the scope..... but then was successful the next time I did it since I took an anti nausea med prior to starting. I had a clear scope six years ago, no polyps even, but now that I'm having some bleeding I have to re-check.

Anyway apparently they've now switched protocols to 'split prep' whereas six years ago they said I had to finish everything the evening before, which I did. Now they're required to recommend a split prep ......so I guess it is a new standard or guideline in the US (guessing here).

I thought split meant half and half, but looking at my directions, it says 64 oz gatorade or crystal light beverage, with 8.3 bottle of miralax 6 pm night before procedure, plus dulcolax tabs, I think before and after that, and then 4 hours prior to procedure, next morning, take 4.1 bottle of miralax in 32 oz of clear liquid of your choice. I guess it isn't 50/50 after all.

Also I can't help wondering if one will have to constantly have one's sleep totally interrupted by going to the bathroom during the night instead of sleeping ....? Hmmm. That didn't happen when doing it all the night before.

I had had a 10 year call back in 2012, but I guess you cannot be too careful when you see bleeding over the past 2 months now. Could be hh's (as it was last time, small hh's) but ... doctor was quite insistent I get checked. I am grateful but am also a bit apprehensive about the prep. They told me my prep was 'a good prep' last time using the 'night before' version, but I'm happy to do the split prep. Any words of wisdom you may have for me will be appreciated this time..... will I be 'going all night,' for one thing? The procedure isn't till 11:30 a.m.

TIA, and good wishes to all the wonderful people on this board. D.

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Re: split prep question for scope ....

Postby betsydoglover » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:37 pm

In my case the split prep was wonderful (as wonderful as a prep can be!). Mine was 2 Dulcolax around 3PM, then at 6PM 1 quart of go-lytely spread out over 15 min intervals. The next AM another quart of go-lytely (this means only used half of the go-lytely). This was absolutely the easiest prep I have ever done.

Good luck,
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:40 pm

P.S. I went to bed around 11+ PM - slept all night and then started again 4 hours before my appt.
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

KimT

Postby KimT » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:43 pm

I have refused the split prep. I do the miralax prep the day before. I have to do a scope every year. The miralax is by far the easiest I’ve done and I refuse to do any other. No doctor has ever said my prep was a bad one. They send me a prescription for suprep in the mail and it goes right in the trash.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

Deann

Postby Deann » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:56 pm

Thanks for the answers.
I had another GI at first this time who was going to have me do go lytely which I've never done. But because I got propofol last time and want it this time, and the golytely using doctor didn't offer propofol, I'm returning to my original doc who will do propofol and who does Miralax .....I admit I was also kind of afraid of golytely although I know it's safe on one's system. So, glad to hear u had a good experience with it. It seems I feel a bit more comfortable using only the prep I used before, rather than trying to switch. But, the split prep is in itself a switch.
Thx again. I'm also going to double check to make sure there's no problem taking prep 4 hours prior to propofol....I wouldn't do the scope with any lighter sedation.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”