Abscess

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Gloriamazz
Facebook Username: gloriamazz@ yahoo.com

Abscess

Postby Gloriamazz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:16 am

Hi
I had a Lap rectum removal and was in severe pain when it should have been getting better.Had cat scan showed abscess and Dr drained . Was put on Flagyl and Cipro. Still hadpain so dr did another cat scan. The abscess is still there but shrunk. Was told to rest and take tylenol.

Any members with abscess knowledge
Would appreciate input. Does it take so long to heal.
Came home from 2bd admission on the 30th August
June, scope
2.6 adenocarcinoma
8/8/18 APR
Stoma
March 19 CT 2 lung N.
April 29, 2019 Pelvis TMR 1.8 x 1.8 cm

7/22 - 7/29/ 2019 5 radi
no chemo 10 mo.
6-10-19 Folfox, Oxill
2nd Irinotecan , Folferi, FU5
12/14/2020, off folferi lung nods new
break going on pill drug Jan 2021
1/19/22, appt 2nd opinion wait to start Vectivix
2 mos no CHEMO
MMR
MSI/stable/HER2
1/2/2021 - round 1 Vectibix
Oligometastatic (NSCLC)

MissMolly

Re: Abscess

Postby MissMolly » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:48 am

Gloria:
I have had a recurrent pelvic abscess (associated with my original intestinal perforation) and also experienced pervasive fatigue, headache, nausea, loss of appetite. It felt like an omlngong case of the flu.

If the CT scan shows that the infection is encapsulated as an abscess that is the body working at its best to contain the infection. Abscess = The body forms a protective wall/barrier of collagen and fibrin to enclose the infection.

It sounds as though you have had a drain placed to siphon off a good portion of the collected infection/pus/cellular debris. It
Can take several weeks for the body to absorb the remaining material through an immune system clean-up.

It sounds as though your medical providers are carefully monitoring the size of your abscess and keeping tabs on any systemic symptoms. A spike in fever would be concerning. Keep in touch with your providers and report any new or worrisome symptoms.
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Gloriamazz

Postby Gloriamazz » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:52 am

Hi Miss Molly,
That is exactly what it feels like fatigue, loss of appetite,
It hurts not intolerable but very uncomfortable sometimes hurts more take Motrin and Tylenol.

Dr said to relax for couple weeks so abscess can take care of itself.

Did your abscess resolve itself?
June, scope
2.6 adenocarcinoma
8/8/18 APR
Stoma
March 19 CT 2 lung N.

7/22 - 7/29/ 2019 5 radi
no chemo 10 mo.
6-10-19 Folfox, Oxill
2 mos no CHEMO
MMR
MSI/stable/HER2
Oligometastatic (NSCLC)

Gloriamazz

Postby Gloriamazz » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:57 am

I notice you give advise on living with the pouch

It is not comfortable and I spend a lot of time empty it.

I don’t like it dirty. Does it ever slow and do you know of a bag that you hardly notice on?
June, scope
2.6 adenocarcinoma
8/8/18 APR
Stoma
March 19 CT 2 lung N.

7/22 - 7/29/ 2019 5 radi
no chemo 10 mo.
6-10-19 Folfox, Oxill
2 mos no CHEMO
MMR
MSI/stable/HER2
Oligometastatic (NSCLC)

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:44 am

Gloria:
My pelvic abscess came to be as a result of my original intestinal perforation, which was extensive. I had two drains placed through my “butt cheeks” that was successful in slowly siphoning off most the purlent drainage. Like you, I had a residual amount of material that remained - a porridge, of sorts, of cellular debris that was eventually absorbed by my body from within. It was a s-l-o-w process of several months (4-5 months$.

All the while, I felt as though I had an ongoing case of the flu. Deep pelvic pressure, not unlike menstral cramps. Low grade fever. Periodic drenching night sweats. Unrelenting fatigue, fatigue not relieve with rest. Diffuse muscle and joint pain.

I purchased a few buckwheat-filled microwaveable warming packs (often marketed for neck and back pain suffers) and would place these between my butt cheeks when lying on my side. These warm packs were immensely comforting. You may find similar warm packs (or ice packs) helpful.

Nausea and low appetite was concerning as I am a small/petite person. I kept mainly to liquids. Sipping/drinking was easier for me then chewing solid food for substance. Carnation Instant Breakfast became a staple. I focused on drinking clear liquids as a means of helping my body flush the toxins from the infection.

Because of underlying endocrine problems, my immune system is not robust. I have had this abscess reappear under circumstances when my immune system is otherwise run-down. Unfortunately, for me, reappearance of the abscess is something that I have to be watchful for. If your immune system is fairly healthy I would not think this would be a concern for you once the original infection has been “cleaned-up” by your body’s immune warriors.

Living with an ostomy pouch is a process of adapting and adjusting. Taking time to find the optimal pouching system (wafer and bag) for you can make a significant difference emotionally. The bag that was provided to you initially at the hospital is one of many permutations available.

Take time to call each of the main ostomy manufacturers and talk with a customer representative. The customer representatives are knowledgeable of ostomies and give generously of their time to help new patients find a best system.
The main manufacturers: Coloplast, Hollister, Convatec. Google each for 1-800 telephone numbers or e-mail addresses to request samples.

You can also visit the United Ostomy Association website and forum (www.uoaa.org) for support in sourcing a new ostomy wafer/pouch and pouching maintenance. This is a nice group of people who know everything there is to know about ostomies - adding a sense of humor. I am a regular poster.

The Coloplast Mio is my recommended ostomy pouching system. The Mio wafer has imbedded elastic polymers which provided for a thin, pliable wafer that moves as the body moves. Coloplast offers pouches in 3 sizes/capacities: Mini (about 5 inches), Moda (about 7 inches), Maxi (about 10 inches).

I barely give my ostomy any notice during the day when I have the Coloplast Mio on. I am a loyal Coloplast customer.

Many people like a the feeling of a fresh pouch after draining fecal contents into the toilet. A small squirt bottle filled with warm water does the trick. Place the spout of the squirt bottle into the tail end of the pouch, squirt 2-3 ounces of warm water into the pouch, secure/close the tail end and sloush the warm water around the inside of the pouch to “clean” the inside of the pouch. Open the tail and empty the contents, again, into the toilet. Hocus pocus . . . The inside of the pouch is clean.
Many ostomates swish their pouches with warm water. A small squirt bottle does the trick.

Come on over to the UOAA support form. You can always read and browse. Living in harmony with an ostomy pouch can be helped by learning and sharing with others. www.uoaa.org

Sending healing wishes,
Karen
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Gloriamazz

Postby Gloriamazz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:46 am

Hi Miss Molly,

Last week I had another cat scan. The abscess has shrunk
Some. Here is the measurement:
noted in the midline perineum,
posterior to the anus, measuring 3 x 1.6 x 3.7 cm in AP, transverse and
craniocaudal diameter, previously 4.1 x 3 x 4.7 cm. No other mass or
ascites. The visualized urinary bladder shows no significant.

It has shrunk some sine Aug 29,2018. The second cat scan was takes last week.

I was originally released on Aug 13, then readmitted on Aug 28 and had some of the abscess drained.

I have pain ranging from 4 to a 10. I had pain that started in early June. Excruciating pain. I also have fatigue, and loss of appetite.

The drs assistant says to lay flat and don't do much relax and hopefully it resolves. What do you think of this
advise?
My pain is a constant 5. Till I stand then pain comes 7-10

I don't know why not drain again.

I also have issues with pouch. I need a Convex and my Ostomy nurse keeps ordering the flat pouch. She was told by my Doctor what to order. I am about to tell tell them I don't need their services and start ordering my own supplies
June, scope
2.6 adenocarcinoma
8/8/18 APR
Stoma
March 19 CT 2 lung N.

7/22 - 7/29/ 2019 5 radi
no chemo 10 mo.
6-10-19 Folfox, Oxill
2 mos no CHEMO
MMR
MSI/stable/HER2
Oligometastatic (NSCLC)

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:02 am

Gloria:
The dimensions of your pelvic abscess have not reduced substantially between the 2 CT scans.

I gather they did not leave in an indewlling drain but rather did a one time needle aspiration of the abscess when it was treated at the end of August?

The treatment for my (similar) low pelvic abscess was placement of an indwelling drain that stayed in place for several weeks. It was similar to a surgical drain after a cholecystectomy, as it had a small bulb on the end that served to provide a negative pressure to “suck” the infected contents into a small bag.

The indwelling drain was no fun. It was placed between my butt cheeks and was uncomfortable . . . But it was effective over the course of several weeks. The consistency of the infected material was thick and would sometimes clog the tubing, which required some manipulation to facilitate the flow.

An abscess is not always poked and drained, as there is always concern of releasing contained infection more widely into the body. The body can do an amazing job of internally absorbing and discarding a contained abscess.

But it does sound as though you are rightfully fatigued both physically and mentally by the effects of this persisting abscess.

Does your surgeon have communication through a patient e-mail portal? If so, write down your questions and concerns in a bullet point format and send it off to him/her for a reply. The communication you have received to date to continue to take Tylenol and rest is inadequate.

Like most ostomates, I coordinate my own ostomy supplies through a medical supply company aligned with my medical insurance provider (an approved contractor). I was issued Holloster from the hospital and quickly changed to Coloplast. Realize that hospitals and physician practices usually have a relationship with one ostomy product manufacturer, where they purchase supplies at a preferred/agreed price. It is prudent for anyone with a ostomy to investigate and explore the wide range of ostomy brands and products available. Not all ostomy brands and products are the same.

If you are slated to have your ostomy for only a short period of time (6 months or less) it may be fine to have your physician order supplies through his office - to keep hassle at a minimum.

If you are slated to have your ostomy longer than 6 months, personal comfort and quality of life in taking the time to source an ostomy wafer/pouch that is a best fit for you would be with the added effort in coordinating for your own supplies. You would set up an account with a medical supply company (Byram, Wdgepark, Sterling Medical - as examples) who would then bill your insurance company or MediCare. Check with your insurance to see if there is a preferred provider for supplies.

I am sorry that you have such a heavy burden to contend with in not feeling well. The period of my abscess felt like a prolonged case of the flu.

I hope that you can get better direction in care from your medical providers so that you can feel like yourself again.
Karen

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:18 am

I'm afraid I don't have any useful advice, but I'm sorry you are afflicted with this debilitating condition. I hope that they can take some more aggressive steps to heal it more quickly.
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable
6/28/19 Pause Key, predisone for joint pain
7/31/19 Restart Key
9/19 CT stable
Pain: all fails but Celebrex
12/23/19 CT stable
5/20 MRI stable/NED
6/20 Stop Key
All MRIs NED

Gloriamazz

Postby Gloriamazz » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:06 am

Hi. Miss Molly,

I am going having more pain with rear end and now feels like razor blades on left stomach side. I know you said takes a long time. But this is unacceptable.

I called surgeon office. Got a call back need another
Cat scan tomorrow. I should not be. Hurting like I Am
June, scope
2.6 adenocarcinoma
8/8/18 APR
Stoma
March 19 CT 2 lung N.

7/22 - 7/29/ 2019 5 radi
no chemo 10 mo.
6-10-19 Folfox, Oxill
2 mos no CHEMO
MMR
MSI/stable/HER2
Oligometastatic (NSCLC)

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:37 am

Gloria:
Please do not misconstrue what I am trying to relay to you.

The pain, flu-like symptoms, and loss of appetite that you continue to experience are worrisome.

My abscess was treated with the placement of two indwelling “butt cheek” drains that remained in place for 4-5 weeks.

Your abscess has been tested with a one-time needle aspiration.

There is a Big difference between the two approaches.

While I have discussed how he body is able to absorb infected material, this is from the stand-point of residual necrotic cellular debris or remnants of WBCs and macrophages of an abscess that has been reduced/withering by either drainage, lavage, oral/IV antibiotics (or all three).

I am glad that you are making your voice heard to your physician and that you will be seen for a CT scan and assessment. You live in your body and best know when something is amiss.

Thinking of you and hoping that your physician is attentive to your concerns,
Karen

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”