Hello

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ihatecancer
Facebook Username: Patrick C Miller

Hello

Postby Ihatecancer » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi..just introducing myself. I don't have cancer, but my wife does. She was diagnosed with rectal cancer in June of 2017. Initially they said she was stage 3, and slated her for a colostomy to remove the cancer. When she went in for surgery, opened her up, and promptly aborted the surgery. The had discovered the cancer had spread to her peritoneum. They told us it would be too dangerous to do it now because her cancer was too aggressive and the down time from chemo would be too much and the cancer in the peritoneum would just run rampant. So now her diagnosis is stage 4, and terminal..I've watched her slowly wither away over the last year..she barely has the energy to do anything, and chemo cause her plenty of discomfort..it has caused me to fall into a deep depression..i have a full time job, AND I am working my own startup, so I am undesirably busy, but my heart breaks daily seeing my best friend suffering. Some may say I should be thankful it's not me that has cancer, but I would take her place in the blink of an eye if I could..it sucks feeling powerless and unable to help her. I guess I am here on this because I am trying to cope..

veckon

Re: Hello

Postby veckon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:46 am

Ihatecancer wrote:Hi..just introducing myself. I don't have cancer, but my wife does. She was diagnosed with rectal cancer in June of 2017. Initially they said she was stage 3, and slated her for a colostomy to remove the cancer. When she went in for surgery, opened her up, and promptly aborted the surgery. The had discovered the cancer had spread to her peritoneum. They told us it would be too dangerous to do it now because her cancer was too aggressive and the down time from chemo would be too much and the cancer in the peritoneum would just run rampant. So now her diagnosis is stage 4, and terminal..I've watched her slowly wither away over the last year..she barely has the energy to do anything, and chemo cause her plenty of discomfort..it has caused me to fall into a deep depression..i have a full time job, AND I am working my own startup, so I am undesirably busy, but my heart breaks daily seeing my best friend suffering. Some may say I should be thankful it's not me that has cancer, but I would take her place in the blink of an eye if I could..it sucks feeling powerless and unable to help her. I guess I am here on this because I am trying to cope..

The same thing happened to me with surgery, except I was already stage 4 because of liver Mets. Regardless, I’m still here, 1.5 years later. You will get through this no matter what. I’m sorry you have to deal with it, but believe me, she appreciates and loves everything you do for her.
27 yo male
Metastatic rectal cancer diagnosed 12/16
Liver metastases and peritoneal carcinomatosis
Lynch syndrome, MSI-H
Failed liver resection 3/17
FOLFOX6 12/16 - 05/17
Keytruda 5/17 - present
@Memorial Sloan Kettering

teacher2017
Facebook Username: Lydia Clark

Re: Hello

Postby teacher2017 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:03 am

My advice is to get her on here. And the other Facebook support groups. They are wonderful even for you. Chemo is ugly but necessary and it may really do it’s job. Tell her to start here. There are many success stories of stage 4 people to motivate her. And honestly, there are many that are worse off too. Best wishes for a better outcome this time.
50 yo mom of 2 (15, 18)
DX stage 3c - 12/17 LN. T3
8" colon resection 9/22/17
6.1cm tumor
folfox 11/17-4/18
CEA -1.4 11/8/17
Colonoscopy- 5/18-CLEAR!
Cea -1.8 6/18
Cea -2.1. 8/18
8/10/18 Stage 4
1cm met in seg.8 liver
Liver resection-9/18