DH had surgery consult yesterday for para aortic nodes

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
gringo51

Re: DH had surgery consult yesterday for para aortic nodes

Postby gringo51 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks for your responses... I have read your related posts but never posted myself... His initial recurrent lymph node states it is an interaortocaval node. The new ones are stated with one as same description and other as left paraaortic retroperitoneal lymph node. The dr really only stated more than one node negates surgery.
Cea is 1.5. CA-199 is 7.55. He is MSS with no KRAS mutation detected.
Have you heard of reactive nodes to radiation? One can only hope.... They are having us wait till end of Oct for next scan.
Wife to DH diagnosed June 2015 age 51.
Stage IIIC Rectal Cancer with regional lymph nodes
FOLFOX 6 months
Chemo Radiation Therapy
Complete Response to treatment - Watch and Wait
NED March 2016 - Feb 2018.
PET Scan March 2018 - single 1cm Para aortic lymph node
Xeloda/Avastin- 2 months, Fail.
2nd opinion at MSKCC suggested SBRT
SBRT July 2018
August CT showed original lymph stable with two additional Para aortic lymph nodes 7mm each
CT scheduled for Oct 2018

Brearmstrong

Postby Brearmstrong » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:45 am

If you can, please see if you can get a second opinion. MSK reviewed my case( mine were shining bright with 12 suv on Pet scan so they knew there was more than one) and said they wouldn’t remove but then my original surgeon at Smilow in CT said he’d try and he got 8 out, 5 of which were cancerous. I realize that I am still considered incurable with very high chance of recurrence but I felt in my heart that it was the right move. I have heard that radiation to this area is doable but can be harsh. Keep us posted!
50 F diag 1/17
Muc Adeno 4cm
mod diff G2 T4aN2
nodes 8/50
CEA 4.6 after surgery <.05
KRAS G12D MSS
FOLFOX Apr-sep 17
Nov 17 PET p aortic nodes Stage IV
Folfori w/avastin
May 18 surgery on nodes xeloda 2yr
Aug 18-May 20 NED
July 20 hysterectomy
July 21 vats right lung
Clinical trial- failed liver Mets biopsy shows now poorly differentiated carcinoma.
HAI pump at MSK may 2022
Nov met to pancreas- causing pain
Radiation ablation to pancreas Dec 22
New lung Mets watch and wait

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:26 am

gringo51 wrote: His initial recurrent lymph node states it is an interaortocaval node. The new ones are stated with one as same description and other as left paraaortic retroperitoneal lymph node. The dr really only stated more than one node negates surgery. Cea is 1.5. CA-199 is 7.55. He is MSS with no KRAS mutation detected.
Have you heard of reactive nodes to radiation? One can only hope.... They are having us wait till end of Oct for next scan.

Size or total volume of met counts because the body can only tolerate so much radiation. This maximum amount of radiation is divvied up on the tumor masses, so smaller is better. In our case the imaged mass was smaller than the conglomerated mass where the imaged mass was borderline for reliable kill and the actual mass was too large for reliable kill.

We used surgery for one big site with multiple nodes. One accessible LN site or one LN chain to surgically remove obvious LN mets is now acknowledged as beneficial, another additional site might be feasible but an uphill battle. The places that big medicine often trip up on are perioperative chemo plus metronomic immunochemo and supernutritional approaches to wound healing and recovery. Perioperative chemo with an effective metronomic immunochemo should best suppress LN mets, both existing and future seeding, with the least side effects. Increasingly remote LN locations require increased skills, from harder to find surgeons.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”