cartech78 wrote:Hey Cemac, I am new here as of today. I just thought i would chime in because in reading this post it seems we have a lot of similarities. I am 40 and was dx on 10/5/18. I am stage 4 with 6 or 7 mets to liver. Had a colon resection on 10/6. Like you my CT scan of liver showed clear originally but the MRI told the truth unfortunately. I also noticed you mentioned an Abbvie trial. My Wife works for Abbvie here in IL. I found out about their trial through her and we are currently trying to find out if i would qualify for it. I am starting Chemo on Monday and am going on I believe oxy and xeloda then Avastin at some point after i heal from colon resection. In 2 months i have an appointment at the Mayo clinic for a second opinion as my current doctors say my liver is not operable. Mayo wants the 2 months of treatment before i come to see them! I was curious if you know anything more about the trial as even my wife who works there cant seem to find much info on it. Anyways good luck and may god bless you on your road to recovery.
Hi Cartech, nice to meet you. Wish it was under different circumstances. But this has turned out to be a great place to get information and support.
I actually ended up not doing the trial. At least not yet. To qualify for the trial you have to show progression after taking FOLFOX/AVASTIN. You will not be accepted into the trial unless that was the specific chemo cocktail you were on. The trial is not blind, but it is random. So, you’ll either end up in the control group receiving FOLFIRI/Avastin or you’ll be in the experimental drug group taking FOLFIRI + the Abbvie drug (ABT-165).
Now, while I was indeed on the FOLFOX/Avastin cocktail, my oncologist isn’t convinced I’ve shown true progression. Yes, they found previously unidentified spots. However, they can’t rule out microdisease that was already there and grew in the absence of any chemo/treatment while prepping and recovering from liver surgery.
As such, my oncologist did not want to burn the FOLFOX/Avastin match just yet. There are only so many matches in the box when it comes to chemo. Since it worked so well to shrink my tumors the first time, we decided to go back to it. If or when FOLFOX/Avastin stops working (or I can’t tolerate the Oxiliplatin in FOLFOX anymore), then we’ll decide on trial.
That said, there’s been an interesting new development here at Duke Cancer Center. My oncologist is currently part of a board in talks with Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC. It looks imminent that Duke will beging working with MSK specialists to offer HAI pump treatment. They already do maintenance for several patients who’ve had the pump installed at MSK in New York City. Dr. Kemeny, who pioneered this technique, has had good success. So, this could potentiall become another viable option. Frankly, my wife and I were prepared to visit MSK anyway. But it’s a blessing we may not have to incur the travel and cost burden of out of state treatment.
Happy to keep you posted as I learn more. Reach out any time. We’re all here for each other, after all.