Shoulder hurts after port flush?!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AppleTree

Shoulder hurts after port flush?!

Postby AppleTree » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:16 pm

Yesterday I had my port flushed. It was a good flush. It hurt a,little more than usual, but not too bad. By dinner time I could not raise my hand over my head to put dishes away. I went to the hospital today and she says she never heard of that and maybe I strained my arm doing another activity. I did not. It is her painful in my shoulder bone and biceps. So, is this weird? Anyone else have this happen? The nurse was not too concerned.
Diag Feb 5, 2016 Age 45
3 cm tumor 5 cm from verge
Radiation + Xeloda pills - 3000mg 5x week
3/14 - 4/16 - 25 sessions
Shrank just over 50% L nodes 0/13
Remove rectum with temp Ileo 6/17
Reversal 7/20 due to infection
Acute hepatitis August. Chemo cancelled
June to September 2016 - 58 days in hospital

6/16, MRI shadow in lung
Pet - 6.6mm Met in Upper R lobe
7/30 VAT surgery Mass General/Boston
8/24 port
8/30 - 4/28 Folfox. 12 rounds
June CT shows new lung Mets.
July/Oct PETs...CLEAR!

MissMolly

Re: Shoulder hurts after port flush?!

Postby MissMolly » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:03 am

Appletree:
I disagree with the nurse who minimized your concerns . . It certainly could be the case that a generous flush of your port caused the difficulties with volitional movement of your arm in raising it above your head.

Flushing of a port can mimic symptoms of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS). TSO involves spasm of the jugular vein and/or compression of the brachial plexus as they travel under the clavicle and first rib. Symptoms of TOS: Weakness of the shoulder, a heavy arm, difficulty with bringing the arm above the plane of the shoulder; tingling; numbness; shloulder girdle and upper arm pain.

You can Google “Thoracic Outlet Syndrome” and see how TSO and the symptoms you experienced with the flushing of your port share in similarities.
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

AppleTree

Postby AppleTree » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:23 am

Thank you MissMolly. I felt a little silly going back to the hospital, but my arm bicept, under my armpit and shoulder really hurts. The pain goes down into my wrist and my hand/fingers are tingly. The nurse told me it was neuropathy...but my other hand is fine. My only neuropathy is about 1/8" on the tips of each finger. The nurse told me I might have slept on it wrong, but I do not sleep on my port side because it causes it to hurt. I used to be 150 pounds and now my weight is 106. My port really sticks out! So I was worried it was my port. I will take Tylonol and monitor it...if I feel worse I will go back to the hospital with the information you have provided. Thank you so much! I have my port flushed a lot, but this time it just felt different.

My oncologist wants me to keep it for at least a year. Next PET is October even though I had one this summer, she wants another be cause it did not quite match the June CT scan.
Diag Feb 5, 2016 Age 45
3 cm tumor 5 cm from verge
Radiation + Xeloda pills - 3000mg 5x week
3/14 - 4/16 - 25 sessions
Shrank just over 50% L nodes 0/13
Remove rectum with temp Ileo 6/17
Reversal 7/20 due to infection
Acute hepatitis August. Chemo cancelled
June to September 2016 - 58 days in hospital

6/16, MRI shadow in lung
Pet - 6.6mm Met in Upper R lobe
7/30 VAT surgery Mass General/Boston
8/24 port
8/30 - 4/28 Folfox. 12 rounds
June CT shows new lung Mets.
July/Oct PETs...CLEAR!

angie1975

Postby angie1975 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:44 am

Hi AppleTree
I had a very similar experience but with my pic line in my arm. I went to have it flush and bandage changed told the nurse it hurt and I could barely dress myself since I couldn’t raise my arm, she sent me to the ER and they discovered I had several blood clots. I don’t want to scare you but if you really worried about please ask your doctor to investigate further.

Angela
Stage 3 RC, DX 9/15/15
Prospect Trial, Folfox only
Surgery 2/11/16, successful w/clean margins
1/13 nodes positive
4/11/16clean scan, NED
7/13/16, CLEAN SCAN NED
7/21/21 clean scan released by Doc
6 years NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”