Flat Ribbon like stools - Terrified

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
domduv87

Flat Ribbon like stools - Terrified

Postby domduv87 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:57 am

Hi all

Looking for some advice. I'm really scared of cancer. I have an amazing fiance' I dont want to lose!

I'm 31, overweight and for about 4/5 months now have been experiencing flat-ribbon like stools. Majority of the time they are quite large but grooved and thin-ish like a ribbon the only times I get thin (not pencil) is when I go but it's a small amount and they are very short and thin.

I have had two rectal exams (finger) and got told nothing seemed wrong so I have a colonosocpy booked for just over a weeks time which im really scared about. I have been suffering with health anxiety due to this as I can't stop checking my stools every time.

Would I lose weight with colon cancer!?

No weight loss, no blood. No abdominal painw. I have noticed at times my stomach feels like a balloon is being blown up inside me which caused some discomfort but not pain

I don't each much fibre or drink alot of water

Also my anus itches quite alot and is sore sometimes, this sounds graphic but my anus gets damp alot even after wiping (sweat due to being over weight?)

Also I am dieting and trying to change me eating habits

domduv87

Re: Flat Ribbon like stools - Terrified

Postby domduv87 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Anyone ? :(

Really scared

KimT

Postby KimT » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:50 pm

We are not doctors. We are colon cancer survivors or loved ones of survivors. It would be irresponsible for us to speculate and or give you advice. You have done the right thing in consulting a doctor. Best of luck to you.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:11 pm

domduv87 wrote:Hi all

Would I lose weight with colon cancer!?

No weight loss, no blood. No abdominal painw. I have noticed at times my stomach feels like a balloon is being blown up inside me which caused some discomfort but not pain

I don't each much fibre or drink alot of water

Also my anus itches quite alot and is sore sometimes, this sounds graphic but my anus gets damp alot even after wiping (sweat due to being over weight?)

Kim was posting when I was typing. Her advice is probably the best, butt here goes. . .

Hi and welcome. Sorry no one has responded yet, butt sometimes on weekends members are busy with families and kids, especially with school around the corner. Last minute vacations, etc.

Does colon cancer run in your family? Yes weight loss is a symptom associated with colon cancer.

I am not a doctor and this is an "assumption" on my part, butt NO I don't think you have cancer. That is why a colonoscopy is so important. It will give you a true diagnoses, anything else is just a speculation.

The itches around your anus could be caused my hemorrhoids, and if those hemorrhoids are inflamed enough, that could be causing your flat stools. I suspect your stomach feeling like a balloon could be caused by gas.

This is the mother in me, after you get your colonoscopy done, and you get "good bill of health", which I think it will be. Think about losing weight. I'm not sure how overweight you are, butt being overweight put you at a higher risk not only for developing colon cancer, butt many other cancers as well. Losing weight will also help get rid of those "probable" hemorrhoids.

You are 31, you've got your whole life ahead of you, being overweight also contributes to diabetes, high blood pressure, etc early in life. Eating a balance diet can help you lose weight. Walking is a wonderful form of exercise to help lose weigh, and it also helps people to feel better mentally. Simple things can help improve your body a lot. Think about it. Okay mother hat off now. . .

Be sure to get that colonoscopy as that will give you a true diagnoses if anything is going on. Butt between now and then, try not to worry about about cancer. The prep the day before is the worst, and we are more than happy to help you with that. Please let us know how your scope goes.

Hope this helps.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

O Stoma Mia

Re: Colonoscopy prep

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:26 pm

domduv87 wrote:... so I have a colonoscopy booked for just over a weeks time ...

O Stoma Mia wrote:For your up-coming colonoscopy, here are some sources you can read in preparation. The most important point is to follow the prep instructions carefully in order to insure a "squeaky clean" colon that will allow the doctor to see all of the details clearly. If your problem is indeed in the rectum or colon, the doctor will be able to see what it is and take pictures of the affected area.

Colonoscopy - What to Expect

10 Questions You Need to Ask About Colonoscopy

Frequently Asked Questions About Colonoscopy and Sigmoidoscopy

Colonoscopy preparation guide UnivMich

Frequently Asked Questions about Colonoscopy

Common Colonoscopy Questions... Answered!

Ask About The Quality Of Your Colonoscopy It Matters

Sample colonoscopy prep instructions
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53348&p=422050#p422050

Colonoscopy Prep Tips
https://fightcolorectalcancer.org/blog/colonoscopy-prep-tips/

There are several options for prep solution, some of which are easier to handle than others. You can ask your doctor to prescribe one of the less distasteful ones

Colonoscopy Prep Solutions
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58394&p=460250#p460250

Here are some other links:

https://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59823&p=475587&p=475587#p475587

http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=51653&p=401721#p401721

https://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59617&p=473536&p=473536#p473536

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”