Sore Port

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
maria

Sore Port

Postby maria » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:13 pm

Hi-
Has anyone out there experienced a sore, bruised port? My platelets are low this round and had to be postponed until next week. The port was accessed for blood work on Tuesday with no problems and the pain wasn't as as bad as I expected - maybe because I recieved news beforehand that my PET/CT looked "very good" and I was on a natural high !!
Where the port is accessed and the surrounding area is very tender....
Maria
StageIV Colon Cancer Survivor
Surgery 4/06, peritoneum, 4/11 lymph nodes age 42
11 Treatments 5/06-11/06
Avastin, Oxaliplatin, 5FU

missj

SORE PORT

Postby missj » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:47 pm

HI,
HOW LONG HAS PORT BEEN IN? MINE DOESN'T GET SORE JUST BOTHERSOME SOMETIMES IT IS LIKE AN ALIEN I GUESS. HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD CHEMO? GLAD YOUR SCANS LOOK GOOD. I AM STAGE 4 ALSO 2 MORE CHEMOS TO GO THEN OFF FOR RESECTION IF THE SPOTS ARE STILL THERE THEY WERE SMALL TO START WITH AND I HERE AVASTIN WORKS WELL TO SHRINK THEM. IF YOUR SPOTS DISAPPEARED WHAT DOES YOUR ONCO RECOMMEND NEXT IF YOU DON'T MIND MY ASKING?

maria

Postby maria » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:49 am

Hi
My port has been in since May - I'm currently going on 7/12 round. My tumor preforated the colon wall and dripped into the peritoneum where another tumor formed and was removed. Luckily from what the surgeon observed and CT it stayed contained into one area. Chemo for me is more of an insurance that the nasty little cells aren't lurking somewhere else! I am at stage IV as well since it perforated, formed another tumor in a large organ, and 3/11 lymph nodes were positve. My doctor went with a very aggressive treatment 5FU, Eloxatin, Avastin, and Leukovorin. Side effects are mostly nausea - nose crusting and bleeding - and some neuropathy during the first few days - nothing unbearable. I also take 8 neupogen shots prior to chemo for wb count. My port is actually getting better - I think my platelets being low caused lots of bruising. I agree it is like an alien :shock:
Hang in there - I will keep you in my prayers!
Stay strong in spirit and prayer.
Maria
StageIV Colon Cancer Survivor

Surgery 4/06, peritoneum, 4/11 lymph nodes age 42

11 Treatments 5/06-11/06

Avastin, Oxaliplatin, 5FU

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”