Anxious about upcoming colonoscopy and endoscopy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mlh2896
Facebook Username: Morgan.sturgeon

Anxious about upcoming colonoscopy and endoscopy

Postby Mlh2896 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:56 pm

Hi all,

I'm sorry this is lengthy - this is my first post here, but I have been lurking for some time. To get to the point, I am a 27 year old married mother of 2, and there's a (higher than I'd prefer) chance I might have CRC and/or somethign wrong with my liver. I have an endoscopy and colonoscopy scheduled for Friday afternoon to get down to the bottom of it all. I'm just here mostly for advice and positivity, because I am worried to death about a CRC diagnosis, as 4 members of my family (2 grandfathers, great-aunt and her daughter) have all had colon cancer, with my cousin diagnosed at 30.  Here have been my symptoms, as well as test results thus far (sorry if TMI):

·       SYMPTOMS: Intermittent blood w/ and w/o stool, sometimes with clots over the last 3 weeks; Extreme fatigue getting progressively worse over the last 2-3 months; Feel like I need to have a bowel movement most of the time but I either can’t (constipated) or only a small amount comes out; No abdominal pain unless I’m lying on my sides – otherwise, just pressure/discomfort mostly on left side under ribs;  Alternating bouts of constipation or diarrhea with smaller stools than usual; Headaches and nausea; No appetite and have lost over 40 pounds in the last 3 months; Increasingly forceful and smelly gas; Feel like I am going to pass out. 

TEST RESULTS:

I went to the ER 2 weeks ago for the persistent rectal blood and just feeling overall like crap. They performed a CBC and a ct scan. The CBC showed the following concerning results: Positive Occult Blood Stool; Low AGAP (9.9 mEq/L); Low BUN (6 mg/dL); High bilirubin (1.6 mg/dL); Low MCV (77.4 fL); Low MCH (25.5 pg); High RDW (17.1%); High MPV (10.7 fL); High monocytes # (0.9 K/CMM). 

Additionally, my CT scan showed the following: "Mild circumferential thickening of small bowel loop in the descending colon suggestive of colitis. No significant fat stranding is identified which would suggest that this may represent a more insidious lesions such as a primary carcinoma. Correlation with history is suggested."

Of course, I saw my GI doctor immediately, who ran a series of 5 blood panels while I await my Endo/Colo on Friday. Those results are:

-H. pylori - NEGATIVE

-Celiac Disease Ab Screen w/Rfx - NEGATIVE

-Hepatitis Panel (4) - NEGATIVE for all types

-Thyroid Panel - NORMAL

+Liver Serologies (FLP) (ANA+Iron+TIBC+Ferritin, Mitochondrial Ab+, Smooth Muscle Ab+ AFP Tumor Marker+Ceruloplasmin+A1Antitrypsin Qn) - Iron Saturation was LOW at 9% and Ferritin Serum was LOW at 12 ng/mL (I am anemic). All other liver levels looked OK. 

I am probably reading too much into these results, but I just need another (less freaked out) brain to process this in context, and tell me I need to chill out. I can't imagine what life will look like with two small kids if the diagnosis is not good.  I am both anxiously anticipating and dreading Friday, as I expect I will know right away if my GI doctor has found anything suspicious. Please let me know if you've had symptoms such as mine and they turned out to be something less-horrendous than CRC. Thanks in advance for your advice, and please know that I am rooting for you all, whatever your siutation might be. 

rtcasper

Re: Anxious about upcoming colonoscopy and endoscopy

Postby rtcasper » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:28 am

Hi, I'm sorry for the reasons you are here, as none of us truly want to be a part of this group, as caring and supportive as it is. I can understand your concern and worry, as it's all a very scary potential. I would be willing to guess that 100%of the persons on here have had at least a couple of the symptoms you describe, but I'd also wager that the are tons of folks out there that have had those symptoms and were not dx with any sort of cancer. Honestly, the waiting and wondering is some of the worst of it, so I will hope and pray that your tests go well. And just remember, if they turn out to be less than desirable, you have a lot of support here, many good people with a wealth of knowledge, and as difficult as it might be to believe, you'll be OK. Good luck and God bless!
By the glory, by the grace, by the strength of God, I will be made whole.

43-M
Aug 3, 18-colonoscopy, 5cm mass 12cm from AV rectal cancer
Aug 16-MRI
Aug 17-CT,chest and pelvis
CEA-.99-likely not a good marker
Clinical DX-T2/T3n1 -3cm mass, 13.5 from AV-might be colon? - let surgeon make determination
Sept 10-14 radiation
Sept 25-CR lap surgery, temp loop ileostomy
Oct 2-path stage pT1N0M0-no chemo recommended
Jan 8-stoma takedown
Jan-April- C diff
May-Fecal matter transplant
Sept-Clean scan NED

hiker

Postby hiker » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:43 am

It very well may not be cancer. But if it is, just know that it doesn't have to be a death sentence. There is treatment available and new medicines are coming available all the time. I know it's difficult, but try to slow down and breathe and don't make any decisions without all the info.

When I was diagnosed with stage iv a year and a half ago, I made some decisions early on that I wish I could redo. I was told by a local cancer center that I had less than 2 years to live and that a colon resection would give me a better quality of life (for those two years) since I was having difficulty using the facilities. Four weeks after the colon surgery, I took a trip to MSK in NYC for a fourth opinion. There I heard the word "cure" for the first time. But this would involve a liver resection. So now I would undergo two major surgeries within four months. If I had it to do over, I would have done everything at MSK during one surgery.

In the event the results of the upcoming tests are not what you want to hear, there are plenty of folks on this site to help guide you through this process. Use us as a resource - we would love to help you.

hiker
Colonoscopy 2/17, 5cm tumor descending
Diagnosed stage iv, liver mets 3/17
Colon resection 3/17
Told surgery not an option, get my affairs in order
Meet w/MSK team 5/01/17
Folfox(3rds) 5/17-6/17
Liver resection/implant HAI pump 7/17
HAI pump chemo(5rds) 8/17-2/18
Folfiri+Vectibix(11rds) 8/17-2/18
Spot on chest CT 10/17
Lung biopsy (that was fun) 11/17
Nocardia bacterial infection w/spread to brain (this is serious) 11/17
IV antibiotics 12/17-2/18
Oral antibiotics 3/18-12/18
Clear of cancer since surgery

crikklekay

Postby crikklekay » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:13 am

Hello!

Goodness, that list of symptoms is awful! I'm sorry you've been feeling so bad, and hope that your tests on Friday go well.

I am familiar with this line on your CT Scan: "Mild circumferential thickening of small bowel loop in the descending colon suggestive of colitis." It's what showed up on my husband's CT scan during our first ER visit followed by the line "Possible cancerous mass cannot be ruled out" right after. I'll tell you what the ER nurse told us, colitis can be caused by many things, this does not necessarily mean you have cancer. That is why you're having the colonoscopy, to see what is causing the problem. Unfortunately, in our case it was cancer but that may not be the case for you. You will have the results the same day you have the procedure, once you recover from the anesthesia the doctor will come in and discuss what they found with you.

I can't tell you not to worry, because I would be doing the exact same thing in your shoes, but try to find things to keep your mind off of it if you can. Take your kids out to the park, watch a favorite movie, visit with friends, start reading/listening to a really good book. I have always found my anxiety only worsens when I'm alone with nothing to occupy me. I hope your tests come back in your favor on Friday, but if not then know we're here to support you.
Caring for DH John
Stage IIIC, Lymph nodes: 6/22
Chemo: FOLFOX (6)
12/17 ER and emergency surgery
02/18 Hospital w/MSSA infected port, PICC line inserted, chest CT scan showed septic emboli & blood clots
03/18 Hospital w/CDIFF
08/18 CT Scan Clear, NEMD
2018/2019/2021 Colonoscopy Clear
2019/2020/2021/2022 CT Scan Clear
2021 PET scan & MRI show one spot on liver
08/21 Liver surgery to remove spot, confirmed mCRC. Now Stage IV
09/21 Start Folfiri + Avastin
03/22 CEA Rise, continuing chemo

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”