I could use some advice

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
SVR1969

I could use some advice

Postby SVR1969 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi all,
I could really use the advice of the incredible people here on this site. I am so fortunate be 8 years NED from stage 3 rectal cancer. During my treatment I had a lower anterior resection, radiation, chemo, ileostomy and then a reversal. I also had my gallbladder out. Over the years after treatment I’ve had issues with frequency, bloating and gas but I’ve been able to manage with medications. Unfortunately my symptoms have gotten worse over the past few years, to the point where I now have chronic diarrhea and gas. I am miserable, and in the bathroom 15+ times a day. I have cycled over the years through many medications and combinations of medications with my GI. I had a colonoscopy this week just to make sure I wasn’t missing anything, and everything is normal (thank goodness, I am so grateful). For the first time in years I am contemplating having a colostomy so I can get my life back. I was so happy to have it reversed but the way I’m living now is awful. Please help- what are your thoughts? Am I missing something? Should I consider this? Thanks in advance for all of your advice.

MissMolly

Re: I could use some advice

Postby MissMolly » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:33 pm

SVR:
I had the privilege of sharing a warm friendship with a member of this forum, Belle Piazza (online name NWGirl). Belle was a gifted writer. She chronicled her bowel management challenges after treatment for rectal cancer in a 3-part blog series written in 2012 for the colorectal cancer community titled: The Colostomy Conumbrum. Belle opted for a permanent colostomy. Belle’s blog is a deeply personal and insightful composition, spoken from her heart.

You can find Belle Piazza’s 3-part series by clicking in the topic titled “Blog Post Archives” on the main page of this forum (11th topic down).

Belle wrote the series with the hope that her writings would enable others troubled by never-ending bowel distress post reversal to consider an elective colostomy without shame or a sense of failure. Belle was glad that she made the decision for a colostomy, and she never looked back.

I have a permanent end ileostomy. It has become second nature to me. Most days, I give little thought to my stoma and ostomy.

The Unites Ostomy Association of America has an online support forum. This forum was a life-line to me during the early months of recovery. Feel free to go the United Ostomy Association of America website and click on the support forum. People helping people.

www.uoaa.org

Be well,
Karen

O Stoma Mia

Re: I could use some advice

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:14 am

MissMolly wrote:...You can find Belle Piazza’s 3-part series by clicking in the topic titled “Blog Post Archives” on the main page of this forum (11th topic down).

Belle wrote the series with the hope that her writings would enable others troubled by never-ending bowel distress post reversal to consider an elective colostomy without shame or a sense of failure. Belle was glad that she made the decision for a colostomy, and she never looked back.

Unfortunately, Belle Piazza's 3-part series is no longer located where it used to be. It was in the blog directory as recently as late last year, but it disappeared sometime before March 2018. No one seems to know what happened to it.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”