Correlation between weight loss and prognosis?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Daniellabella

Correlation between weight loss and prognosis?

Postby Daniellabella » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:32 am

Hi,

My husband was diagnosed on May 23 of this year.

He has not started chemo or radiation yet.

Since diagnosis, he has lost 34 pounds. His hair has thinned significantly.....so much so that I can see his scalp now. Also, he is acting strange, in the sense that he is frequently forgetting common words, can’t remember where he put something.

Again, no chemo yet so can’t be chemo brain.

He was diagnosed as stage 3 tumor in recto-sigmoid (T3-4a, N2, M0).

He has gone downhill so fast....especially in terms of weight loss. Did any of you experience this? Is this all common for colorectal cancer?

BTW, He has his radiation setting/mapping appointment this Friday.

NHMike

Re: Correlation between weight loss and prognosis?

Postby NHMike » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:07 am

I dropped a fair bit of weight in worrying but also the size of the tumor made going to the bathroom difficult so eating less meant less effort in the bathroom.

Not eating enough can result in lightheadedness, headaches, and somewhat diminished cognitive ability.

I think that it's good to have some amount of weight available going through treatments as there can be weight loss as a result of treatment.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

rtcasper

Postby rtcasper » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:52 am

Yeah, seems like it's taking forever to get my scans done, so that we can chart a course of action. I agree with Mike, just the worry alone can throw you off. My bloodwork came back showing I'm just a wee bit anemic, and since I'm still having blood in my stool, it makes sense. And yeah, I seem to get tired more quickly and I have the feeling of being "not quite all there"sometimes. Likely a combination of anemia, and just overall worry. So, just letting u know, your husband isn't the only one. Hopefully,u guys can get on the path to treatment and recovery very soon. Wishing you the best!
By the glory, by the grace, by the strength of God, I will be made whole.

43-M
Aug 3, 18-colonoscopy, 5cm mass 12cm from AV rectal cancer
Aug 16-MRI
Aug 17-CT,chest and pelvis
CEA-.99-likely not a good marker
Clinical DX-T2/T3n1 -3cm mass, 13.5 from AV-might be colon? - let surgeon make determination
Sept 10-14 radiation
Sept 25-CR lap surgery, temp loop ileostomy
Oct 2-path stage pT1N0M0-no chemo recommended
Jan 8-stoma takedown
Jan-April- C diff
May-Fecal matter transplant
Sept-Clean scan NED

martd

Postby martd » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 am

Did he change his diet after being diagnosed? When I first leared I had cancer the panic set in I drastically changed my diet cutting out everything know to cause cancer. This caused me to lose quite a bit of weight and as the other poster said my blockage was causing a problem to. Then I started to eat more sensible, as healthy as possible but still eating good. It's important for him to keep a good diet to stay strong enough to tolerate chemo. You might try add a boost or other protein drink with every meal. Good luck to you

Dan
49 y/o male dx 11/2017 crc
Stage 4 with 17 liver Mets, cea 490
RAS, BRAF WT Tp53 LOF
12 rounds folfox , avastin
5/18 cea 2.8 liver resection and pve
7/18 part 2 liver resection, remove right side of liver
Surgical site mrsa infection, wound vac
8/18 cea .9 cCR, rectal tumor is gone
Rectal surgery postponed, watch and wait
10/18 clear scan CEA .7
01/19 clear scan CEA .9
04/19 clear scan CEA .9
07/19 clear scan CEA 1.0

Daniellabella

Postby Daniellabella » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:07 pm

Thanks for the replies.

We had been tracking his calories and he was eating about 2300 a day for a solid month.

Despite this, he has still lost all this weight.

I’m so angry at him for having delayed his treatment for so long. I feel that he has no gotten to the point of no return....not sure this can be fixed.

rtcasper

Postby rtcasper » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:06 am

I'll be honest, that seems like a long time to wait to begin treatment. Seems most people on here are at it within a couple of months at most. But to more clearly answer your question, I've lost maybe 5lbs in the last 3 weeks, but like the other guys have said, I've also adjusted my diet and have been eating much more balanced and healthy. I'll pray for you guys, hopefully you can begin to get things rectified soon.
By the glory, by the grace, by the strength of God, I will be made whole.

43-M
Aug 3, 18-colonoscopy, 5cm mass 12cm from AV rectal cancer
Aug 16-MRI
Aug 17-CT,chest and pelvis
CEA-.99-likely not a good marker
Clinical DX-T2/T3n1 -3cm mass, 13.5 from AV-might be colon? - let surgeon make determination
Sept 10-14 radiation
Sept 25-CR lap surgery, temp loop ileostomy
Oct 2-path stage pT1N0M0-no chemo recommended
Jan 8-stoma takedown
Jan-April- C diff
May-Fecal matter transplant
Sept-Clean scan NED

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:51 pm

Daniellabella wrote:... I feel that he has now gotten to the point of no return....not sure this can be fixed.

In terms of weight, there is a condition called "cachexia" which is also referred to as "wasting syndrome".

You can check whether weight is getting close to the cachexia boundary by calculating the body mass index (BMI).

https://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46365&p=340274#p340274

If the BMI falls below 18.5, then the weight is in the cachexia/wasting-syndrome zone, and it may be time to contact the doctor about this, because once the BMI drops too far under 18.5 it becomes very difficult for patients to re-gain weight.

NCMike12
Facebook Username: Mike Wright

Postby NCMike12 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:10 pm

I was diagnosed with colon and rectal in July. Had a cat scan then pet scan because lymph nodes looked enlarged. It just happens that the pet scan scans from the bridge of your nose to your pelvis and any cancer lights up with the contrast and radioactive stuff they inject in. Well at the top of the scan they barely saw a light up which was a brain tumor. Went for a MRI that showed entire tumor.

Anyways, this started because my wife noticed me forgetting things we talked about. I started getting dizzy spells. Went to primary and was extremely endemic and low on vitamin D. Went for colonoscopy and found tumors in colon and rectum. Weight loss of 25 pounds before this due to nutrician being lost from colon cancer. So be aware, hair loss, weight loss is all part of the lack of nutrients regardless how well he eats. Use CBD oil and Cannabis oil if you have access, it helps some along with treatments, just let oncologist know to make sure its not an issue with them. Mine supports it.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”