Symptom Question/Colonoscopy Results

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Megn93

Symptom Question/Colonoscopy Results

Postby Megn93 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi! I have not been diagnosed with colon cancer - I hope it’s okay that I’m on here - but I have been having symptoms plus a family history. I went to a gastroenterologist and she prescribed a colonoscopy and endoscopy as well as biopsy and food allergy tests. I stopped eating gluten and dairy weeks ago (plus certain fruits because they were suddenly causing my mouth to feel tingly). I have basically been eating rice for weeks. The diarrhea for better but now I’m constipated (and I had been constipated for a long time before the diarrhea but I didn’t realize it). There has been blood in my stool and my back has been hurting a little bit but that has mostly gone away now. I feel like I’m not able to empty my bowels completely when I go to the bathroom. Now the bleeding has decreased but there are yellow specks in my stool. I haven’t found a lot about yellow in stool as far as colon cancer is concerned. Can that be a symptom? Also is it possible to have other symptoms and not have narrow stool and still have colon cancer? Not asking for a diagnosis just information. I am aware this could also be ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease because the symptoms are so similar. I’m only 25 and I wouldn’t be worried about cancer if I didn’t have a family history. I have to wait over a week for my colonoscopy and I’m just going crazy waiting. How long does it take to get results from a colonoscopy?

KimT

Re: Symptom Question/Colonoscopy Results

Postby KimT » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:09 pm

We ar not doctors. We are colon cancer survivors or loved ones of survivors. It would be irresponsible for us to speculate a diagnosis. You have done the right thing in consulting a doctor and getting a colonoscopy. You will find out the results that day although biopsies will take a few days for final results. Best of luck to you.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

erins

Postby erins » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:49 pm

You’re doing everything right, so the best thing to do is to just relax best you can (easier said than done, I know) You’ll get results the same day as your colonoscopy, though definitive diagnoses may require biopsy results which can take a week or two. Hopefully you’ll get answers that can put you on the path to treatment, since eating only rice is no fun at all.

Everyone has different symptoms, so alas, it’s a bit like reading tea leaves, and for me trying to predict the future based on Dr Google actually made things worse because of stress.

I found that probiotics helped my pre-surgery symptoms a great deal, so you may want to ask your doctor about that.

Good on you getting checked out, by the way—hopefully it’s good news that can help you feel better soon!
38 yr old female
Rectal bleeding for 1 month—>
5/4/18 colonoscopy found mass in sigmoid colon
5/21/18 LAR
stage 2a, 0/17 lymph, clean margins
T3N0M0 G1
LVI neg, PNI neg, MSS
9/21/18 CEA 0.8
11/16/18 CEA 0.8 & CT clear
12/7/18 iron infusion
2/1/18 iron improved, CEA stable.

Megn93

Postby Megn93 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:53 pm

Thank you so much :) I really appreciate your answer and advice. I am hoping I’ve googled it to death and that’s what’s causing most of my anxiety. Laying off google for now lol.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”