New here-questions..

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Tcjw

New here-questions..

Postby Tcjw » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:41 pm

Hello-

My husband was hospitalized three times last spring with a small intestine blockage before they did surgery and discovered cancer. The surgeon removed two different places in his colon, part of small intestine and where the appendix used to be and placed a colostomy. The cancer also involves seeding in the omentum and is classified as stage 4.

Today he had his fifth round of chemo-oxaliplatin and 5fu. He’s currently off the avastin because he is having a surgery on Friday to try to improve his stoma which is significantly retracted and is scarring and becoming smaller and smaller. They can’t do a complete revision now due to chemo but are at least going to try to dilate it. Anyone have any experience with this? I can tell he is increasingly anxious, understandably.

He also brought home a detailed lab report which says he has KRAS wild type (codons 12 and 13) and KRAS/NRAS (codons 12, 13,59,61,117 and 164 in exons 2, 3 and 4). Microsatellite staus cannot be determined but also says STAT3 Y640F. Tumor mutational burden cannot be determined. Can anyone put in plain English what this means? I had to go back to work (first day of school) and could not go to the appointment. I don’t think he asked many questions. I’ve tried it look these terms up but mainly come up with scientific studies that don’t make sense to me.

Thank you!

O Stoma Mia

Re: New here-questions..

Postby O Stoma Mia » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:36 am

Maybe you can find some answers to your KRAS questions in this article:

Colorectal Cancer and KRAS/BRAF
https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1690010-overview

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”