Recurrence confirmed: Para aortic nodes are positive for cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CLD

Recurrence confirmed: Para aortic nodes are positive for cancer

Postby CLD » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:42 pm

DH had his follow up appointment today for his lymph node biopsy. Unfortunately, the cancer has returned. He has a port placement scheduled on the 31, than will begin FOLFIRI + Avastin on Aug 1. His Dr also ordered an MRI of his femur, spine, and brain to rule out mets. If anything looks suspicious, than they will biopsy the bones. If those are clear, and his PET scan is showing improvement in 3 months, she will send him for a consult with Dr. David Bartlet, at UPMC Hillman Center for a surgery consult. He might also have to undergo another lymph node biopsy to look for BRAF and KRAS mutations. She called the operation a "super heroic operation" but said he is young (46), strong, and otherwise healthy, so he is an excellent candidate. I'm grateful that we left with options, but my husband is not looking forward to the hell of chemo life that is to come, especially the diahrreah (I still cant spell that damn word). Hi brother, age 42, just died from lung cancer in November. Anyhow, we have a lot to digest after todays appointment, but I am grateful for the friendships on this site.
Wife to DH/ Father of 6 (age 42 at dx) diagnosed Jan 2015 stage IIIC
Tumor deposit in mesentery 13/24 lymph nodes +
CEA at dx: 5
MSS
Low Grade/Mod. Diff.
FOLFOX 6 months
N.E.D until June 2018
PET Scan 6/18
Biopsy confirms cancer in 3 Paraaortic lymph nodes
Folfiri + Avastin (6tx) and Xeloda during radiation
Cancer all over both lungs dx Jan 2019
FOLFIRI +AVASTIN presently

stu

Re: Recurrence confirmed: Para aortic nodes are positive for cancer

Postby stu » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi ,
Really sorry to hear that news . Takes time to balance out after appointments like that .
My mum was an older woman facing 73% of her liver being removed but she decided to pursue it aggressively and can I tell you she would try again if need be .
Facing more treatment is rotten but he has age on his side , a good team by his side so I believe he can get over this bump on the road .
Pressing on to wellness and full recovery ,
Take care,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

chrissyrice

Postby chrissyrice » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:33 pm

I had this super heroic operation done on Dec 20th 2017 at Emory Winship Cancer University Hospital here in Atlanta Georgia.

I had 3 surgeons and 8 + hours on the table. I was very lucky as I had very little blood loss during the surgery and at 66 yrs old I left the hospital in 4 days.

All the cancer was removed with clean margins.

When I read the operating report it is truly amazing and very few surgeons in the US would even try to do this type of operation.

I had Dr. Charles Staley, Dr Shishir Maithel, Dr William Jordan. All 3 very experienced and excellent in their skills. The operation requires a vascular surgeon like Dr William Jordan as grafts and arteries had to be removed where the cancer had spread.

I have been well and cancer free for 7 months.

Good Luck,
Chrissy
DX 10-31-09 Surgery 12-1-09 Sigmoid Colon
Stage IIIb T3,N2,MX; Chemo Feb 2010-Aug 2010; 4 rounds Folfox; 8 rounds 5FU +LV
12/2010 PET/CT Scan, Cancer Free
7/2012 CT Scan NED 2 years
10/2013 NED 3 years
8/2014 NED 4 years
Recurrence 6/2015: iliac lymph node(s)
8/2015 Surgery: 3 cm tumor removed+iliac artery graft
3/2016 CT Scan Stable
6/2016 Stable
9/2016 Stable
12/2016 Stable
3/2017 Stable
Recurrence 6/2017
12/2017 Surgery removed all cancer w/ clean margins
07-27-2018 Cancer-free for 7 months

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:27 am

We did things differently on surgery, testing, chemo and chemistry. The metastatic para-aortic lymph nodes, in a conglomerated cluster, were dissected near the aorta above the renals in under 45 minutes with two highly skilled surgeons, in their 50s. One I think of as "Zorro", he had had lots of PALN dissections for ovarian cancer and is reknown for his speed. Historically surgery on para-aortic lymph nodes was not done because drs thought disemination made surgery futile - this is not correct, especially with limited sites of mets and with continuous, effective mild oral chemo. To get the surgery, we were turned down several times, so I worked to improve the background information, presentation and summary each time.

We had chemo sensitivity tests done for ordinary chemo and 5FU with heavy duty vitamin C and K2 (MK4), to follow up on some research papers. The select heavy vitamins + 5FU did better.

1. We administer oral chemo every day with celecoxib, PSK and selected heavy cancer inhibiting supplements to stop spread and to inhibit active sites as much as possible.
2. We used cimetidine liberally before, during and after surgery; oral chemo in therapeutic blood levels up to 12 hours (!) before surgery.
3. CA199 can be an important treatment marker for KRAS/BRAF mutants, and MCV for chemo in general. CA199 is better behaved with immunochemo, anti-inflammatories and supplements vs unsupplemented Folfox or Folfiri patients.
4. We use IV vitamin C especially on elevations of CA199, AFP and / or inflammation (ESR or hsCRP), along with menatetrenone, human vitamin K2.

Now, before chemo, is an important time for extra blood tests for better biological information, useful long term. You can order them, on the phone or internet, from national labs or Life Extension Foundation, yourselves, avoiding the common delays or conflicts with insurance or "std care only" drs.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:30 am

I'm sorry it wasn't better news and hope his chemo goes well!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”