Liver resection recovery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
RulaLenska

Liver resection recovery

Postby RulaLenska » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:02 pm

Just checking in. It’s been a slow recovery so far from my resection 6/12. I knew it would be challenging but didn’t know in what ways. Every third or forth day is pretty good and it feels as though I’ve turned a corner. Then I feel crappy again. Some days no appetite then edema shows up again then referred pain to my shoulder then bloat. *sigh* I feel like I’m chasing something around! I’m staying hydrated, eating small meals with as much protein as I can get, walking or using my exercise bike, and managing my pain as best I can while avoiding constipation. I want to feel better already!
Peace and healing to all
Cyn
Dx 8/16 IV stage with mets to lungs liver adrenals
KRAS wt MSS CEA over 400
2 x folfori caused refractory diarrhea but dropped CEA to 200
Switched to folfox stopped after 10 due to neuropathy
Avastin leucorvorin 5fu dropped after 11 due to hfs
Chemo break to travel.
Nov. 2017 emergency sleeve colectomy of primary tumor.
Vectibix irinotecan
PET scan shows no lung or adrenal tumors
5/2 Portal Vein Embolisation in preparation for liver resection.
6/12 extended right resection removing 60%.

stu

Re: Liver resection recovery

Postby stu » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:53 am

Hi ,
You are doing great . It’s a big surgery . My mum had four wedge resections the first year and was fine two weeks later . Kayaked six weeks later . Her surgeon warned us to set totally different expectations of larger liver resections . He was totally right . Around two months you could see her liver was literally regenerating to the point that it started dealing with some of her post surgery issues . Very slowly it started to change but it was between three and four months that the bigger changes started to occur and she got over the bump in the road . Five months her normality was back .
It was a much slower recovery but you know she has never looked back and her GP was just saying last week her liver function is amazing . It slowly got there but it’s going a fantastic long term job.
Take special care,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

VeggieLvr

Re: Liver resection recovery

Postby VeggieLvr » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:45 am

I had my resection around the same time as yours, on 6/19. I feel like my recovery has been slow as well but I know I am an impatient person. Everyone is happy with how I am healing but I really want to feel "normal" again. I still find it hard to stand up straight sometimes (especially after eating for some reason), it's like I feel a pulling sensation in my belly which is weird considering I can lay flat on my back without issue.

I am going to need another resection after more chemo so I'll have to go through this all over again!
F, 42, Stage IV CC
2/23/18 - colonoscopy/virtual colonoscopy, diagnosed CC
3/6/18 - left hemicolectomy, 12" removed, clear margins. Multiple mets to lymph nodes (removed), omentum & liver, 1 possible lung met
4/6/18 - port install
4/9/18 - Folfox (Oxaliplatin/Leucovorin/5FU) 4 rounds
6/19/18 - liver resection, HAI pump install
8/30/18 - Folfiri (Irinotecan/Leucovorin/5FU)
12/5/18 - Erbitux added
5/28/19 - 2nd liver resection/ablation

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”