Rectal Cancer Lung Nodule follow up (FREAKING OUT)

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MassMike

Rectal Cancer Lung Nodule follow up (FREAKING OUT)

Postby MassMike » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:32 pm

So my mom had some lung nodules on her first scan, so they did a recheck 6 months later (after 3 FOLFOX treatments). The thing is they shrunk. Now I’m freaking out, did they shrink from the chemo because they’re Mets??? Did they shrink because she was getting over an infection or for some other reason? Now my mind is going crazy. I will attach her initial first scan and her second scan so you guys can see what it says. I can’t stop freaking out now and it sucks because she just completed treatment and is getting her reversal surgery Ina few weeks. The doctors don’t seem concerned. I know that it’s probably not Mets considering every single nodule shrunk but I need some reassurance since I do have extremely bad anxiety so I could just be thinking too much but I can’t help it.

First CT scan: FINDINGS:
3 x 7 mm nodule along the right minor fissure image 48 may represent an incidental intrapulmonary lymph node. 4 mm micro nodules right upper lobe image 30 and left apex image 12. additional scattered less than 4 mm micro nodules. No suspicious lung
nodules or consolidative changes. Central airways are patent. No pleural effusions. No evidence of metastatic disease in the chest.

Most recent CT scan (6 months after initial scan, after 3 FOLFOX treatments)Lungs: Multiple bilateral nodules and micronodules are smaller and less conspicuous on this study (images 14, 33 and 49, series 3). Interval decrease in size and conspicuity of multiple bilateral nodules and micronodules. Recommend follow-up with low-dose noncontrast chest CT in 6 to 12 months.
Mom DX Stage 2/3 Rectal Cancer 8/17
Chemoradiation 9/17-11/17
Surgery w/Temp Colostomy 12/12/17
yP Stage T2N0 0/20 nodes
8 cycles folfox begun 1/15/18
Folfox finished 5/18
Reversal 8/18

stu

Re: Rectal Cancer Lung Nodule follow up (FREAKING OUT)

Postby stu » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:05 am

Hi ,
It is such a scary thing and it does raise anxiety more than any other organ as there are so many unknowns in the lungs and it seems that they are happy to allow another six months to pass . It could be an infection resolving at that size it’s impossible to tell .
I would mentally handle it this was . At the moment there is nothing to indicate it’s anything sinister and observation is the only recommendation . If however it should be something you already know she is super responsive to treatment and that it a game changer in those circumstances.
So it’s certainly not without a lot of hope .
Take care,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”