New and scared

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Faithful Lisa

New and scared

Postby Faithful Lisa » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Hello, I had a colonscopy on Thursday due to blood in my stool, pencil thin stools and constipation for about 3 months. I am 53 never had a colonscopy before. Should have had one at 50 but too busy, scared, didn’t want to drink that stuff etc etc. Excuse after excuse. Would have could have should have.
The colonscopy showed a “likely malignant tumor in proximal sigmoid colon”. Sent to pathology STAT and asked by my doctor to return to his office Tuesday. This Tuesday. I am scared to death. What now? Is it normal to read likely malignant? The wait is killing me? If it is malignant what happens then? What if it benign? Do they just keep a 1 1/2 inch tumor in me? I am scared and I know this will all be answered by my doctor when the results come in. But anybody experienced this? I can’t eat or sleep and scared beyond anything I have ever experienced. Thank you in advance. Lisa

rp1954

Re: New and scared

Postby rp1954 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:55 am

We took several decisive actions at this point in the diagnosis-treatment chain to improve the odds, and it has paid off big time. My view is that these first days and weeks can be used more effectively to gain years of survival, or increase the odds of a cure.

We get extra blood tests, beyond the "standard of care", which you can request. We also use some mild drugs for their anti-stem cell properties, and potent nutrients recommended by other doctors, beyond the ASCO/NCCN guidelines.

Please read my previous posts in "First Aid" for colorectal cancer. We did these things and have gained extra years of continuing, high quality survival for my wife, at lower out of pocket costs. Her sigmoid colon cancer had even already spread to seriously wrong places. Knowledge is power, and helps us sleep.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:40 am

Hi Lisa,

First of all, don't be too hard on yourself for not having a colonoscopy earlier, what's done is done.
I had a colonoscopy nine years ago due to blood in my stool. My GI doc knew straight away that my tumor was cancer by the look of it. My surgeon saw me in the recovery room and I was referred for a CT scan the next day. I saw the surgeon the following week and the week after I had surgery (lower anterior resection). I understand your fear completely.
I was diagnosed stage III as I had lymph nodes involved. I had six months of chemo which was hard but doable. I'm still here nine years later.

Waiting sucks....it's so hard. Try and distract yourself and try to avoid those awful thoughts...easier said than done I know.
You will receive great support here. Please keep us updated after your appointment. Thinking of you and sending strength and best wishes. Not knowing causes so much anxiety and fear...I get it. Hang in there xx
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

teacher2017
Facebook Username: Lydia Clark

Postby teacher2017 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:16 pm

Lisa-
I was you last Sept. very scared. But this site and others on facebook can help you. Look for positive stories. Your tumor will
Likely be removed- some people have it removed and then chemo, others have some chemo to shrink it, surgery, possibly a bag, more chemo and then a reversal. Chemo is doable but hard. No hair loss really. The thought of cancer is terrifying but there are many people even stage 4 who are alive to tell their tales. Don’t google which you are probably already doing. Stats are old and outdated. You need to find your resolve and handle it. Good luck!
50 yo mom of 2 (15, 18)
DX stage 3c - 12/17 LN. T3
8" colon resection 9/22/17
6.1cm tumor
folfox 11/17-4/18
CEA -1.4 11/8/17
Colonoscopy- 5/18-CLEAR!
Cea -1.8 6/18
Cea -2.1. 8/18
8/10/18 Stage 4
1cm met in seg.8 liver
Liver resection-9/18