Mother has 2cm tumor

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Sips22

Mother has 2cm tumor

Postby Sips22 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:25 am

Mother (78) went to Emergency because of pain, but had been iron deficient anemic weeks if not months. Colonoscopy showed ischemic colitis (Colitis ischaemica (necroticans) segmentari), with ulcers (biopsied), two polyps. (polypus coli sigmoidei). Also biopsied. and tumor, ulcerated and thick edges, diameter 2 cm. (Carcinoma coli). Biopsied too. No results of biopsy yet. Had CT, and CT with contrast material, and CT angiography. Which did not found tumor, confirmed ischemic colitis. No local or distant infiltration discovered.

Can CT discover metastasis? How it can be that colonoscopy found tumor but CT did not? I am puzzled.

No more results yet.

(Sorry my English, it is not my native tongue)

Jannine

Re: Mother has 2cm tumor

Postby Jannine » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:21 am

I'm not sure why, but my adenoma was 7.5cm and was not considered a tumor based on my CT scans, one with IV and oral contrast (months before diagnosis) and 2nd one with IV contrast only. I had a lot of inflammation going on and it was identified as diverticulitis initially due to the presence of diverticules in that area. I understand colonoscopy frequently catches things the CT scans miss or misidentify. Getting in there and getting a biopsy seems to be the only reliable way to identify tumors, regardless of size.

I don't know anything about the difference between metatstatic vs. not metastatic, so can't speak to that.

Also your English is just fine. :) Welcome to the boards, and I am sorry about your mom's situation.
DX: sigmoid colon cancer 5/2018. 48 F
laparoscopic sigmoid resection (24 cm removed); no stoma.
7.5cm adenocarcinoma -- mod. diff.
1 noncontiguous tumor deposit removed; 0/31 lymph nodes
T3 pN1c M0
5/18 before surgery, CEA 11.2
6/18 began FOLFOX
7/18: CEA 1.9; added neulasta post infusion
9/18: CEA 2.8
10/18: 25% chemo reduction
11/18: CEA 1.8
7/19 CT scan clear

Deb m

Postby Deb m » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:51 am

The ct scan did not show the mass my husband had in his colon. It was found during the colonoscopy. A ct, however, will pick up a spread to other parts of the body though.

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:50 am

My tumor was discovered by colonoscopy. I know ct is to look for metastasis. I'm not certain if my tumor showed on the ct scan. I know an MRI was ordered for my surgeon to better visualize it before surgery. I had ischemic colitis at the end of 2015 at 37. It was awful! I hope your mother feels better soon and that you don't have to wait long for answers.*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Sips22

Postby Sips22 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:21 am

Biopsy confirmed malignancy. The pain was caused by ischemic colitis, not the tumor. There was no metastasis, doctor said. It is local. At moment they wait ischemic colitis subside and heal, otherwise they cannot do surgery, it may be too dangerous because of possible complications. However, he also said it is not hurry, and there will be even wait weeks or months before surgery happens, because at this stage it may take year or more before this cancer can spread. He did not said the stage. I could not ask, because it was my brother who talk with doc. But i can guess it is low stage one.

Update: G2, lowest stage, surgery done.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”