MAP and colectomy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
DianeD

MAP and colectomy

Postby DianeD » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:49 pm

I have MAP. I also have ulcerative colitis. I am 69 years old I had a malignant polyp 20 years ago. Just recently I had another one. Both were caught in time No chemo or anything. I am having colonoscopies every 6 months. About 20 polyps are removed each time. They are all adenomas. My doctor is strongly recommending Ileorectal Anastomsis. I am in good health. I’m torn about what to do. Is there anyone who has had this surgery who could tell me what to expect especially with regards to how often and how urgent you need to use the bathroom. I am very active and don’t want to be housebound. My doctor says I should be more concerned about getting cancer than the side effects of surgery

Lee

Re: MAP and colectomy

Postby Lee » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:17 pm

DianeD wrote:I have MAP. I also have ulcerative colitis. I am 69 years old I had a malignant polyp 20 years ago. Just recently I had another one. Both were caught in time No chemo or anything. I am having colonoscopies every 6 months. About 20 polyps are removed each time. They are all adenomas. My doctor is strongly recommending Ileorectal Anastomsis. I am in good health. I’m torn about what to do. Is there anyone who has had this surgery who could tell me what to expect especially with regards to how often and how urgent you need to use the bathroom. I am very active and don’t want to be housebound. My doctor says I should be more concerned about getting cancer than the side effects of surgery

Hi and welcome. Sorry no on has responded to your thread yet. I really don't have any answers for you. I will just wanted to throw this out there if you are really concerned about being housebound. Many people on this forum have found success with daily enemas. If you enter "daily enemas" into the search bar at the top left side you will find a wealth of information on that subject. We have a few experts here where these people went from being housebound to normal activities and eating normal food again.

Just something to consider.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

DianeD

Postby DianeD » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:22 am

Thanks for the info Lee. I will check it out. I had not heard about this option

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:29 pm

DianeD wrote:Thanks for the info Lee. I will check it out. I had not heard about this option

You are welcome, butt I have to ask what is MAP?

Again welcome to the forum. You will find a lo of helpful people around here.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

DianeD

Postby DianeD » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:34 pm

Myh associated polyposis. It is like FAP familial adenomatous polyposis. MAP is very rare. You need to inherit the bad gene from each of your parents. If you only inherit 1 gene, you are ok. You keep growing polyps and they will turn cancerous if not removed.

Capercrohnieileo
Facebook Username: Jayne Olson

Postby Capercrohnieileo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:13 pm

I have Crohn's and had a total proctocolectomy. I have an ileostomy and my quality of life is way way better than pre op.
Severe Crohn's colitis jan 2015
Developed fistulas feb 2015
Open total proctocolectomy with end ileostomy (bye bye colon and rectum hello barbie butt) because of fistulas, Crohn's and crc risk May 5, 2017
Gastroduodenal Crohn's Nov 1, 2017
Severe Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) Nov 9, 2017 GES showed 70 % remaining in stomach at 4 hrs. Normal is <10%
Jejunostomy (J tube) surgery Oct 17, 2018.
Didn't go so well. Small bowel obstruction found Oct 26, 2018.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”