8 year TAE for T3 follow up - NED!, so I opened a winery!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dschreffler

8 year TAE for T3 follow up - NED!, so I opened a winery!

Postby dschreffler » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Happy 2018!

It has been a while since I checked in on the board and wanted to share how I'd doing 8 years since my TAE surgery, and 7 years NED In short, all is good.

I left by Foirtune 50 Corporate life due to effects of chemo brain, could not compete in the day to day high pressure, multitasking, needing facts on demand job.

Took time off, traveled across country for 9 weeks and then implement plans for an urban winery.

In past 2 years I run 1/2 marathons, 5/10 k races at least once a month.

If ever in Dunmore PA, stop by Space Time Mead & Cider Works. We will be making commercially a mead (honey wine) that I first made when I was under going chemo 8 years ago, FURC Mead, as in FU rectal cancer.

Here is update on health status, and some hope for all that they can have similar or better outcomes.....

I had chemo and radiation prior to surgery, transanal excision surgery, and post surgery chemo for my T3 rectal cancer.

Quality of life is pretty close to what I reported back in 2012:
-I have no side effects from the surgery; some due to chemo and the radiation.
-I have no eating or bowel issues other than I seem more sensitive to fruit and juices - i.e. next day frequent bathroom visits - manageable. I think due to the chemo. Otherwise same as prior to having colon cancer.
-Skin irritations at the radiation site - only an issue when using sandpaper toilet paper at cheap work and public place rest rooms!

The following improved a lot due to exercise, eating better, and meditation. Not in any ruthless fitness nut way, just simple changes. Stuff we should all do anyway, cancer or not.
-Still fighting some fatigue and chemo brain (forgetfulness). I dumped a gallon of wine as someone was talking to me when I started to pump product and failed to close valve on vessel before pumping
- Red and white counts remain on low end, so prone to colds and naps
-Post cancer depression -- has been managed now that I changed jobs... I really believe mental health needs to be part of the cancer treatment journey. Sound mind and sound body - treat the whole person. Therapist thinks PTSD from going thru treatment. That has merit, but also think I had some depression issues for a long time prior. A case for baselining mental health as we do with physical healthc.I did get a cognitive evaluation and have effects from the chemo.. adjustment disorder due to cognitive impairment of the chemo. Confirmed my need to fine a new line of work.
-Some sexual dysfunction... radiation and chemo impact plus an issue with age, weight gain and lax exercise. Continues to improve with diet and exercise and dealing with stress/depression.
-Neuropathy in feet - rare, usually at night in bed.

For more of the back story, you can check these threads out.
year 5 checkin:http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53560&p=424506#p424506
Year 2 checkin: http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34910
Post chemo and back to work: http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20059
Mid Chemo brain fun: http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16481#p128784
Immediately after the surgery in 2010, and my rationale for the chemo/surgery choice I made (read all threads): http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13877
If anyone has any questions ask here or feel free to PM.

I remain indebted to the people on this forum whom helped me thru this tough issue and I hope tho information can help others.

I wish you all the best - health, success, and happiness.
DX:T3,Nx,M0 2/5/2010 RC 3cm@analverge CEA7.3
Neoadjuntive 2/24-4/5: 28 rad/Xeloda(M-F),5 rnds Oxaliplatin IV weekly
6/15/2010-TAE surgery 10 weeks aft neoadjunctive.
Path clean, CEA1.3
post surgery 12 rnds FOLFOX
NED 1/26/11

Daniellabella

Re: 8 year TAE for T3 follow up - NED!, so I opened a winery!

Postby Daniellabella » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:02 pm

That update was AWESOME!

Congratulations!

Thank you for taking the time to post and giving the rest of us hope. Blessings to you!

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Congratulations!!

May you always reside in NEDville.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

KathyLynn

Postby KathyLynn » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Awesome!! This is a great! I’ll definitely stop by when I visit my daughter in PA and have a drink of FURC with you!!

Enjoy your life!!

KathyLynn
8/2017. RC
11/27/2017. Robotic LAR. No chemo/rad
12/2017 Moderatley differentiated, 3.0 cm in greatest dimension
Macroscopic tumor perf: not identified. All margins of resection and proximal neg for tumor.
Lymphovascular and perineural invasion: not identified.
1/13/2018. T2N0M0 with isolated tumor cell (ITC)
7/2018. CEA 2.0. 10/18: 2.0. 1/19: 2.3 11/19. 2.1
11/19 CT NED
06/21 CT NED CEA 1.3

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”