Second parent diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Frazzle

Re: Second parent diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer

Postby Frazzle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:22 pm

Hi

We're going through something similar with my dad and I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you're going through this. My dad was diagnosed just over 3 weeks ago with stage IV bowel cancer which has spread to his liver, kidneys, lungs and bones and there is nothing they can do for him. We had no idea he was sick! He went to the hospital with back pain and was told it was probably a slipped disc. He'd had symptoms such as bleeding and passing mucus but before he was overweight - they told him it would just be haemorrhoids. They didn't even check :(

I completely understand what you're going through - especially with your son. I have 3 young children (the oldest is 8) and I have no idea how to tell them. I thought they would start to ask questions when they saw him but they didn't even notice. I don't know whether to prepare them or not? :(

I really hope your mum is able to receive some kind of treatment xx

ocstacy
Facebook Username: stacy

Postby ocstacy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:17 am

Hey there guys! We just found out yesterday that my mom has stage 4 colon cancer that’s spread to her lungs and bones as you can imagine this isn’t the easiest news to receive.

Hi there,

First,I don't know what to say except for that this support group is really supportive and awesome. I hear it's bad to say "I'm sorry" when you hear awful news, but that we are here for you. My dad is 84 and my mom is 78. They had me sign their cremation paperwork last week and that was super tough. My dad really wants to leave this earth, he is so miserably depressed and in pain with arthritis and slight dementia. Mom is in remission, but she has no desire to go anywhere due to her ileostomy, but getting reversal in 4 days and she is nervous and so am I. Her depression brings me down. I am her caretaker when I am off work. Hugs to you and take some time for yourself too.
Caregiver/daughter to dear mother age 78, dx 5/09/17 because of me!! :wink:
Rectal CA Stage 3 low-grade adenocarcinoma- 6 cm
Neoadjuvant start 7/10/17 ended 08/16/17
3D Lap. surgery @ Keck USC, Dr. Sang Lee 10/17/17 temp ileostomy
11/1 hospitalized abscess/hernia - home 11/06/17 antibiotics
NO LYMPHS INVOLVED! NEAR PATHOLOGICAL RESPONSE! YAY! :shock:
Took her last chemo med 05/10/18! Ileo reversal 07/24/18
1st BM after reversal 07/25/18 Anal Fissure 8/15/18
Me:1st Colonoscopy age 38. 08/17 Benign polp.

dliu

Postby dliu » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:17 am

Tjas1987 wrote:Tomorrow we’re going to our first oncology appt .. im nervous for it. But I’m trying to keep positive. I can’t sleep because I’m so anxious for it..

How did your appointment go? I hope you got some answers, and hope you've been able to sleep lately.
Caring for my mum, 65
Sigmoid resection, multiple liver mets
09/05/2018 Dx Stage IV, 6/11 LN - KRAS G12V
28/05/2018 First round of FOLFOX + Avastin

CEA down from 6000+ (05/2018) to 843 (08/2018) to 377 (11/2018)
9/10 rounds with Oxaliplatin
8/10 rounds with Bevacizumab

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”