Salami

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mpbser

Re: Salami

Postby mpbser » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:11 am

"but maybe feeling good and relaxed is important too??"

Absolutely... which is why I don't push him to do healthy things in way that stresses him out or gets a negative reaction.

However, my own test results that I got at the end of June were extremely interesting relative to the issue of stress. Stress adversely affects the cardiovascular system, as everyone knows, but my annual carotid artery sonogram results and inflammation markers were no worse than than my last test. This is despite the fact that I have had the most stressful year of my life with my husband's congestive heart failure and near death, his diagnosis at a time when we didn't have health insurance, his three surgeries and winding up in the ER twice and need to be hospitalized for a week after one of them, his chemo and stress over everything, my baby brother who was like a son to me being killed in a hit and run (just a couple weeks before DH's liver surgery), and then a major career-on-the-line meeting a week or so after said surgery.

My inflammation biomarkers were the lowest they have ever been and my IMT measurements were unchanged, amazingly. I have been drinking more than usual, not working out as much as usual, but my diet has been pretty much the same since the year before. The one big difference this year has been consistent use of Omega 3s and Vitamin D and the addition of pine bark and decaffeinated green tea extracts to my supplements. Now, if I cut back on alcohol and exercise more and keep everything else the same, I can reverse the plaque in my artery as I had done about seven years ago.
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
Immunohistochemsistry Normal
Fall 2017 FOLFOX shrank the 1 met in liver
1/18 Liver left hepatectomy seg 4
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
5/13/19 HAI pump catheter dislodge, nearly bled to death
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:27 am

mpbser wrote:"but maybe feeling good and relaxed is important too??"

Absolutely... which is why I don't push him to do healthy things in way that stresses him out or gets a negative reaction.

However, my own test results that I got at the end of June were extremely interesting relative to the issue of stress. Stress adversely affects the cardiovascular system, as everyone knows, but my annual carotid artery sonogram results and inflammation markers were no worse than than my last test. This is despite the fact that I have had the most stressful year of my life with my husband's congestive heart failure and near death, his diagnosis at a time when we didn't have health insurance, his three surgeries and winding up in the ER twice and need to be hospitalized for a week after one of them, his chemo and stress over everything, my baby brother who was like a son to me being killed in a hit and run (just a couple weeks before DH's liver surgery), and then a major career-on-the-line meeting a week or so after said surgery.

My inflammation biomarkers were the lowest they have ever been and my IMT measurements were unchanged, amazingly. I have been drinking more than usual, not working out as much as usual, but my diet has been pretty much the same since the year before. The one big difference this year has been consistent use of Omega 3s and Vitamin D and the addition of pine bark and decaffeinated green tea extracts to my supplements. Now, if I cut back on alcohol and exercise more and keep everything else the same, I can reverse the plaque in my artery as I had done about seven years ago.

I've generally said that you can't convince someone else to make lifestyle changes - they have to see it themselves. This goes double for spouses. My wife has always worked out to some degree but I tried getting her into strength-training and she hasn't been interested outside of using weights under five pounds. She does walk an hour a day and she does some other stuff that I've only caught a glimpse of but general strength training is important at our ages.

It sounds like you are doing several things right and may have genetic advantages for reducing stress. It also sounds like you've had a horrible year and survived intact.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:19 am

My genetics predispose me to cardiovascular disease as a MTHFR mutation I inherited makes my blood hyper-coaguable (sp?). I was truly astonished by my test results.

We just ran out of decaffeinated green tea extract this morning so I am buying some right now!
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
Immunohistochemsistry Normal
Fall 2017 FOLFOX shrank the 1 met in liver
1/18 Liver left hepatectomy seg 4
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
5/13/19 HAI pump catheter dislodge, nearly bled to death
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:02 pm

mpbser:
! Wow ! What a harrowing year you have endured, on several fronts.

You have demonstrated resounding resiliency. You have been a fully present and caring spouse to your husband. Your posts shine with your deep commitment to him in accessing the best care possible and in supporting healthful life-style changes. You are leading by personal example.

Congratulations on your positive cardiovascular health. Change is never easy. You have succeeded in making a number of lifestyle changes to your betterment.

We each have only this one body. It is important to treat the body well.

I hope that this coming year is a gentler and kinder year to you and to your husband,
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”