menstrual cycle question

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jannine

menstrual cycle question

Postby Jannine » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:59 pm

So I'm having a flip of what one might expect... I'm 48, had been skipping more and more periods while also having uncharacteristically heavy flow when I did get them, for the past couple of years. Was diagnosed with sigmoid CRC in May, and at that time hadn't had my period for maybe 6 or 7 months. Had a resection done May 9, and they also removed a 5cm uterine fibroid while they were in there. The inflammation was also close to my uterus and they thought I might need a hysterectomy based on the CT scan, but the uterus was not compromised so I kept all my girly parts.

Started FOLFOX a week and a half ago, and lo and behold, today I got my period. Ugh. Fortunately it seems back to the old normal for me, and not a crazy amount of blood. They warned me that I might see some changes because of the fibroid removal, so this isn't a huge surprise, but the blood loss still makes me nervous. I'm in the US so most of the chemo staff are on holiday today. I didn't ask about menstrual cycle impacts, and I'm concerned about the implications for my anemia problems... ladies, does the chemo just happen when it happens, or does timing matter for this? I'm actually getting my 2nd treatment delayed a week because of a long-planned family vacation that only happens every other year, which I didn't want to miss. So my next chemo treatment isn't until late next week.

I'll call the oncologist tomorrow just to check in about this, but I'd appreciate hearing others' experiences. Thanks!!
DX: sigmoid colon cancer 5/2018. 48 F
laparoscopic sigmoid resection (24 cm removed); no stoma.
7.5cm adenocarcinoma -- mod. diff.
1 noncontiguous tumor deposit removed; 0/31 lymph nodes
T3 pN1c M0
5/18 before surgery, CEA 11.2
6/18 began FOLFOX
7/18: CEA 1.9; added neulasta post infusion
9/18: CEA 2.8
10/18: 25% chemo reduction
11/18: CEA 1.8
7/19 CT scan clear

tarheelmom

Re: menstrual cycle question

Postby tarheelmom » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:27 pm

I was 52 and starting to show signs of menopause- missed periods, hot flashes, extreme moodiness, etc. I didn’t have chemo but my resection seemed to affect my hormones in a weird way because all signs of menopause stopped, and I went back to having clockwork type periods for about 15 months. I asked my doctor about it, and he had no clue. Coming up on a year without periods so I think I am almost through menopause now.
52 y at dx, mom to 4
DX: RC on 2/22/2016
Stage I, T2N0M0, 0/32 LN
23 mm x 7 mm moderately differentiated invasive adenocarcinoma
3 cm from anal verge
4/12/16: ULAR, TME, & temp ileostomy
6/14/16: ileo reversal

Jannine

Re: menstrual cycle question

Postby Jannine » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:04 am

Aha, thanks for your perspective. Sounds like it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Also, love your user name; I grew up in N.C.! :)
DX: sigmoid colon cancer 5/2018. 48 F
laparoscopic sigmoid resection (24 cm removed); no stoma.
7.5cm adenocarcinoma -- mod. diff.
1 noncontiguous tumor deposit removed; 0/31 lymph nodes
T3 pN1c M0
5/18 before surgery, CEA 11.2
6/18 began FOLFOX
7/18: CEA 1.9; added neulasta post infusion
9/18: CEA 2.8
10/18: 25% chemo reduction
11/18: CEA 1.8
7/19 CT scan clear

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”