Modifications to prevent/lessen chance of recurrence

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Capri

Re: Modifications to prevent/lessen chance of recurrence

Postby Capri » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Atoq wrote:There is scientific evidence that meat, especially processed meat increases the probability to develop CRC. Also a diet rich in fibers is positive in many ways.

I was already training a lot but perhaps this lead to producing too many free radicals? :D I avoid meat, diary, added sugar except when I bake a cake at home (then I use less, but I have two kids and should I say no to making a pavlova for birthdays?).

I try to eat a lot of veggies and I will likely try to have an A. Longo wise diet that is almost fasting for 5 days twice a year.

I take some supplements that a doctor of integrative medicine in Italy prescribed to better survive chemo and radio. It is funny because here (Norway) integrative medicine does not exist, while in Italy it is in the official hospital, the same administering chemo :D

It is really difficult to know what to do, you can find a scientific paper saying that something as an effect and another saying that it is not effective or even dangerous. Then you should dig more and be able to evaluate the methods, the statistics, the journal, the research group.

Scientific evidence is not so black and white for all fields, at least intermittent fasting worked on mice and people lacking genes promoting growth are less prone to develop cancer, even with a very unhealthy diet. So avoiding meat and diary (rich in growth factors IGF-1) makes sense to me and is also good for the environment, global warming and ethics.

Claudia

My son is going to ask his oncologist about glutamine. He has 2 smoothies a day (when not too nauseous) with beets, kale, berries, etc and almond milk. He has improved his diet, mostly chicken and fish for "meats" and no more sodas. I'm encouraging more veggies, eliminate processed foods of all kinds. I feel all these changes are important and need to continue--even do better.

Yes, it is difficult to know what to do regarding diets, supplements, etc. as many studies contradict each other.

Thank you for writing.
Mom to son 46 yo at Dx (2017)
1/18 Robotic resection, sigmoid adenocarcinoma, Stg. IIIA T3 N1 MX, mod. differentiated, margins clear
2/18 - 7/30/18 Port placed; completed 12 cycles of FOLFOX
6/18 Put on Early surveillance CT,PET scan-normal. Neuropathy has started.
11/18 Clean colonoscopy; 11/20 CT normal.
2019 to 7/22 colonoscopies, CTs neck to groin have been normal.

Capri

Postby Capri » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:15 pm

margiej wrote:The only suggestions by my oncologist:
- Baby aspirin
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin B-12 (for my neuropathy)
The other things that I do in the hopes of not having a recurrence (I had a pretty healthy lifestyle before all this started, but keep trying to make improvements)
- Vitamin K2 to help with Vitamin D absorption
- Turmeric supplements plus turmeric tea
- Organic everything if possible...so much easier to find organics nowadays and getting more affordable all the time. Fruits, veggies, flours, etc. My sense is that all the pesticides and herbicides like RoundUp in our food are a contributing factor to the uptick in CRC.
- Minimal processed foods
- Lots of fruits and vegetables
- Lots of whole grains - no white flour
- Limited desserts and sugars - a little very dark chocolate with some frequency, though.
- No food coloring - except the occasional M&M ;)
- No artificial preservatives
- Read labels obsessively...so much junk in our food.
- Tree nuts almost daily
- Kombucha several days a week
- Probiotics
- Red meat only occasionally. If I go to a barbecue and they are having burgers, I will have one.
- Limited alcohol - glass of wine about once a week. Used to have 1 or 2 glasses 3-4 nights a week
- Yoga almost every day - home practice
- Walk/run with my St. Berdoodle a minimum of two miles every day - sometimes twice a day adding up to 4-5 miles.
- I drink about 3 cups of coffee a day....recent reports are that it may be helpful., but that's just a bonus...I love coffee!
- I quit highlighting/coloring my hair when I was first diagnosed. This is extreme, I realize!
- Natural cleaning products, laundry products, lotions, sunscreens, etc.
- Have just started taking a CBD gummy every day ... hoping to keep my stress/anxiety at bay
- I avoid plastics--prefer glass bottles, stainless steel, etc. I use glass storage containers instead of plastics.
- I'm sure there's some other little things I do, that I can't think of right now.

I try not to be a nutcase, but I am right on the edge!
Love to all.
Margie

LOL Margie! I don't think you're a "nutcase" at all. I think you're taking a wise approach to lifestyle changes to avoid a recurrence. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to do at least some of the things you're doing. Thanks so much for letting me know what works for you.
1/18 Robotic resection, sigmoid adenocarcinoma, Stg. IIIA T3 N1 MX, mod. differentiated, margins clear

Capri

Postby Capri » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:20 pm

hawkowl wrote:I had a healthy diet and lifestyle before diagnosis...active, mostly plant based, never overweight...but I have taken a few steps to hopefully improve my chances if long term survival:

Exercise (I try for 18,000 steps a day plus biking)
Curcumin 2g daily with black pepper
Celebrex 400mg every am
Aspirin 650mg at bedtime
Coffee 3-4 cups a day or more
Cannabis (I use this for neuropathy pain and persistent nausea from dysautonomia)
Chaga tea (made from our own chaga, don't do this regularly anymore)
Dukoral oral cholera vaccine (available in Canada and Europe, one study showed a survival advantage, all things being equal)
Diet: I follow a mostly paleo Diet`. I can't do legumes and have a sweet tooth (plus need to gain weight) so I use maple syrup instead of sugar).

I was taking vitamin D but now live in sunny Florida most of the time and spend a lot of time outside so my levels are good

Has anyone else here tried the Dukoral?

18,000 steps plus biking? Wow that is awesome hawkowl! I will google the effects Celebrex and aspirin have on CRC.
I've not heard of Dukoral and would be interested if anyone replies to your question.
Thank you for writing!

heiders33

Postby heiders33 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:23 pm

I’ve been taking 81mg Aspirin daily but I keep seeing bruises on my legs. Has anyone else experienced this? I thought maybe it was due to anesthesia but my last surgery was in March. I know aspirin thins the blood, but I’m also on HRT which thickens blood. I wish I could keep taking aspirin, but I also hate having random bruises.
40 year-old female
May 2017: Dx rectal cancer T3N2M0
MSS, KRAS G12D
6/17: 28 days chemorad
9/17: LAR/loop ileostomy, CAPOX six rounds
3/18: reversal
9/18: liver met, resection/HAI pump, 11 rounds 5FU, 1 round FUDR
11/19 - local recurrence, brachytherapy, 3 weeks targeted radiation
12/21 - end colostomy

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”