Worried about my symptoms.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Dm87

Worried about my symptoms.

Postby Dm87 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi guys and girls,

I’m currently in the waiting game to see a gastroenterologist. I started having fluctuating flat stools that would go from small to normal to small for a couple of years. Recently, in January I started seeing more undigested food in my stools but didn’t worry about that. February came along and i started seeing blood here and there. My doctor said it was probably hemorrhoids but because I have a direct family history to Crohn’s disease and colon cancer I pressed to get it checked. March came and the bleeding was every bowel movement for a couple weeks and then subsided for a bit and I went in to see my doctor again about it. She didn’t do any rectal exam or anything and it was around this time I noticed a little mucus present with the stool. End of March and all of April, may, and June so far I’ve had blood with every bowel movement. I typically go 1-2 times a day. I eat very healthy and I’m involved in martial arts and intense exercise. I haven’t felt that fatigued other than the fatigue of being a new parent. I decided I check myself into the ER at the end of May to push the tests ahead because I am worried. The doctor did not feel any hemorrohoids during the rectal exam and noticed pink on the stool he touched. I did a stool sample and blood work and he said stool was healthy stool but saw red blood coating the stool. My blood counts were all perfect as well. The bleeding tends to happen during or after a bowel movement. I notice blood on the stool but not really in it. Sometimes the stool is completely cover d to a few streaks and then I drip blood in the toilet for a few minutes and sometimes it’s just a little tiny bit on the stool or toilet paper. I get itching sometimes but mostly it’s all painless bleeding. I’m just worried and hope it’s nothing bad. I hate this waiting game and I’ve had doctors tell me I should’ve been seen a long time ago. The ER doctor said he suspects the start of IBD, due to my perfect blood counts he doesn’t suspect cancer. Could this be internal hemorrhoids? Are those usually far up there? Can they bleed that much? July 12 is my consult and I hope it’s not a long wait after that. I’ve been waiting since February already. Take care everyone.

Lee

Re: Worried about my symptoms.

Postby Lee » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi, welcome, sorry for the reason you are here.

Because you have rectal bleeding, a colonoscopy should be done, PERIOD!! That will give a true diagnoses of what is going on, anything else is just a speculation. And your life is worth more than a speculation. Yes it is possible to have internal hemorrhoids, again a colonoscopy will give you that true diagnoses.

How old are you?

Until the July 12, try not to worry, your symptoms can be caused by many things. Avoid Dr. Goggle, the information there is either out of date or just plain wrong. Vent any frustrations here, believe me, we do get it here.

Good luck, keep us posted,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:24 pm

I'm sorry you're going through this and would ask for a colonoscopy. Good luck and hope you get answers soon!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:28 am

Ditto what Lee said. You need a colonoscopy.
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
Immunohistochemsistry Normal
Fall 2017 FOLFOX shrank the 1 met in liver
1/18 Liver left hepatectomy seg 4
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
5/13/19 HAI pump catheter dislodge, nearly bled to death
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

Dm87

Postby Dm87 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:55 am

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. I will push for a colonoscopy. I am 31 years old and I have a direct family history to IBD (crohn’s). I also have had a few relatives get colon cancer and pass from it in recent years. I am annoyed that I’ve had to wait 6 months but it is what it is. Hopefully I don’t have to wait much longer for the colonoscopy.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:33 pm

Dm87 wrote:Hi guys. . . Hopefully I don’t have to wait much longer for the colonoscopy.

If it is scheduled several months out, ask if you can be put on a cancellation list. Just make sure you have everything you need for the scope before hand.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Dm87

Postby Dm87 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:00 pm

HI guys/girls

I just got my consult for a colonoscopy today. He didn’t show much concern with me but is doing a colonoscopy and endoscopy due to my family history of IBD. He said I look very healthy and do not look anemic and have no signs of that in my blood. He felt around on my abdomen asked me if I felt pain where he pressed in certain places. I said I did not. I’m a little disappointed that I have to wait til September 27 to do a colonoscopy due to him believing that he will not find anything significantly wrong with me. He said the bleeding can be caused by something as small as a hemorrhoid. He reassured me to not worry until my colonoscopy as he doesn’t think he will find anything serious. It was good positive reinforcement but I’m bummed that I have to wait two more months. Thank you Ontario health care system... :( I asked to be put on a cancellation list as well so hope to get in sooner than later.

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:12 am

I hope you will get in sooner!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

fadams18

Postby fadams18 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:01 am

Holly molly, I have the same symptoms. and in addition im losing weight. I dont know if its from anxiety and constant thinking or its from my problem. I need to go ask for colonoscopy too. I had a rectal exam and they found internal hermorroids and a fissure. but why am I losing weight so much. and my stools are flat. thats not normal. Please let us know what they see in the colonoscopy.

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:10 pm

Dm87 wrote:HI guys/girls

He said I look very healthy and do not look anemic and have no signs of that in my blood. He felt around on my abdomen asked me if I felt pain where he pressed in certain places. I said I did not.

My wife was very athletic and physically fit. She had low BMI, Low Blood Pressure and was a lifetime distance runner mostly 5K, 10K, and half marathons. She was training for a full marathon when she was diagnosed. Mostly because I noticed she was changing up her diet and avoiding foods she loved a lot I got her to finally confided in me about blood in her stools I pushed her to make an appointment with her doctor and to get a colonoscopy. Even then her primary care doctor thought she might have IBS but referred her to a GI doctor for the scope. She also was not anemic and look very healthy for her age (53). She was so healthy in fact that her primary care doctor DID NOT push the recommendation of a colonoscopy at age 50. Had she had one then I believe she would still be with me today as they would have caught it before it spread. At the time we didn't know it but her uncle on her moms side grew polyps like a farm (Would have been useful to know earlier). Her mom had breast cancer late in life and her father had prostate cancer. The being physical fit allowed her to undergo her resection and recover quickly from that - In fact he surgeon wished all his patients we as fit as she was. She was also able to tolerate the chemo afterwards very well - again because I think she was so healthy other than for the cancer.

If you have been on this forum long enough you soon realize that many very "Healthy" and athletic people end up with CRC. So doctors need to quit using this as an excuse they can be and are often wrong. I just read a news article this morning where a young 33 year old new mother who happened to also be a doctor herself was diagnosed with Stage IV Colon Cancer. Turns out many members of her family had Polyps or colon cancer in their history and many they were already monitoring.

History is important so anyone that has a history of cancers or other GI/Colon issues in their family regardless of type need to be extra vigilant. Lets hope that in your case if it is a case of CRC they catch it before it has spread. I lost my wife to it primarily because of a lack of medical history and an attitude that the healthy physically fit don't need to be concerned, and finally because everyone thinks the prep is such a horror to undergo! My wife did then found out it wasn't so bad after all the way her GI doctor had her do the prep.

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”