Opinions on my situation? Scared?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ravenia

Opinions on my situation? Scared?

Postby Ravenia » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:55 pm

Hello, I am a nineteen year old female that has been having problems with using the restroom lately and have noticed a few things. Sometimes not all the time, usually every month or so, I'll see some blood mixed in with my stool. It's bright red. Also I only go to the bathroom maybe three or four times a week. I lost some weight, but prior to all this happening I was trying to all loose weight and lost 15 pounds. I haven't really lost any since then. My diet wasn't good, I didn't eat many greens and ate mostly meat. Now I'm 5'9 145llbs. Sometimes when I'm at work, I feel the left side of my stomach tingle? It's hard to explain but I ruled it as stress. The only thing that runs on my family that I know of is diabetes. But I don't know my mom so is it possible that this is colon cancer since I don't know what runs on that side? My Stella come out pretty fine, I usually don't have to struggle or force them out and they are brown, a little darker sometimes in the middle but brown. The thing is, I really can't afford to go to the doctor but I have hypochondria and it's scaring me to death that I have colon cancer. Thank you

Lee

Re: Opinions on my situation? Scared?

Postby Lee » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:57 pm

OKAY, 1st, breath in, breath out, repeat.

The chances of you having colon/rectal cancer is VERY low. Not impossible, butt VERY unlikely. I've been on the forum for 10+ years, I only know of one other teenager diagnosed with this cancer and believe me, we've had many people your age grp come here concerned they have colon cancer. Your symptoms could be caused my many things, cancer just being one possible cause. So please don't jump to the worst case situation (cancer). And avoid Dr. Google!!! You can diagnoses yourself with anything with Dr. Google. Hang around here if you need support and info.

Have your noticed any itchiness after passing a stool (hemorrhoids probably). Do you know if Crohn's disease or IBS runs in your family? Yes I understand you don't know your mom's family history. But you could be dealing with something like Crohn's disease or IBS Not life threatening, butt something that should be monitored. My mother had bad eating habits for many years and ended up with diveticulosis.

Are you in the USA? Do you have a primary care doctor? The best way to determine what is ACTUALLY going on is a colonoscopy. That will give you a true diagnoses, anything else is just a speculation. Many doctors will not refer you to a GI based on your age, butt by the shear fact you passing blood, a colonoscopy should be done. If you are in the USA, can you sign up for Obamacare? If you want to get the scope out of your own pocket, I'm sure you could have one done for about $2000.00. Yes a lot of money, butt peace of mind. And compared to a lot of procedures down today, down right cheap.

Give up a little more infor about you? You talk about a job, can you get medical insurance thru employer?

Again try to worry,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Ravenia

Postby Ravenia » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:10 pm

Thank you for replying. I really appreciate it. I don't get itchness, but sometimes the stools do hurt because they are big or such. I've been eating that activia yogurt and it's making me go every day to every other day. I don't know of anything that runs in my family other than diabetes. I'm actually having other health issues that cause me to have bad migranes and a friend of mine suggested it might be causing ulcers or such in my stomach. Or it could be stress. The blood only lasts a couple stools and then its gone and usually only happens every other month or so. I'm not really having any pain in my stomach, so, unless I experience something terrible, like stomach pain or black stool, or excess blood, I think Im just going to try to eat healthy and excerise, perhaps to see if that helps any.

I do live in America, but I have so much going on in my live (Sorry I know this isn't a therapy channel) and I think I'm going to wait it out and see what happens, I already told my mother that I was having problems and we are just going to wait it out. Thanks again for everything, I appreciate it.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Hello Ravenia!

Any update on your case? Thank you!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”