Worried about colonoscopy next week!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MachineGunKelly

Worried about colonoscopy next week!

Postby MachineGunKelly » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Hey there - 34 yr old male

So...roughly about 6 months ago I noticed that I had some bouts of diarrhea, and abdominal pain for which I went to my PCP for. Unrelated to the other symptoms, I developed an abscess on my neck for which my PCP gave me clyndamycin for 2 weeks for. During the next two weeks I had diarrhea pretty hardcore, which is a related side effect of the medication.

My abdominal pain persisted, so my PCP ordered an adnominal ultrasound and CT scan w/ contrast. The only thing they turned up was NAFLD. Colon was fine, no wall thickening...etc. However, about 2-3 months ago I noticed that I was getting some blood on the TP and even a little streaking on my stool, with an intense burn/itch. Both my PCP and colo-rectal surgeon said I have multiple hemorrhoids and a fissure at one point. They've kinda come and gone and the surgeon would like to do surgery on the remaining hemorrhoids, but recommended a colonoscopy first to make sure that the rhoids are not the result of Chrons, IFB or colon cancer.

My stocks are generally good size, good color, a little flatter than normal, but I've noticed that when I strain even a little, they go back to round. My abdominal pain turned out to be an abdominal strain, and in the past month I had a CBC for celiac testing, which showed no anemia. I also do want to add that 8 years ago I had a sigmoidoscopy which came back totally negative.

My question being, at this point, the only thing is that there's occasionally some blood streaking on the TP or stool, and if I go back to the bathroom after a bowel movement and press again the area w/ TP, I do get a little pink blood spot. Abdominal pain is gone, I'm not dizzy, no anemia or weight loss. Outside of touches of diarrhea, I've had good caliber/color stools. My scope is next week - I should be expecting all clear outside of the hemorrhoids right?

I’ve got two little ones 8, & 6 that are my world. All I want is to be able to walk them down the aisle.

CAGirl

Re: Worried about colonoscopy next week!

Postby CAGirl » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:05 pm

Let us know how the scope goes. Only thing I can tell you is a lot of us on here were pretty asymptomatic. I had anemia but didn't feel much different than I had for years. So, anemia and Stage 3C yet no blood apparent anywhere. (In retrospect, my stools were fairly "black and tarry", though they seemed normal to me.) Anyway, guess your scope will be here in a few days, but I wanted to respond to your post since no one has yet. Best advice I can give you (though I'm not currently following it myself) is stay off this site and internet until your scope results. Being on here and speculating won't change anything, and you will know VERY SOON whether or not you have to be on here to help with an actual CRC diagnosis. Go enjoy your kids (and I will, mine, too!)
I don't know much about hemorrhoids, but yes -- why not just assume that's all you have to worry about?
Dx 2/2017, age 45, 2 kids: 6 yrs & 3 yrs
History of Crohn's disease - dx in 1997; in remission, thus no colonoscopy in over 10 years
Anemia dx 11/16: GI doc assured me "the likelihood of colon cancer" was "very low".
Stage 3C - T3N2b
8/64 lymph nodes; clear margins surgery 3/17
12 cycles of Folfox 4/17-9/17
3-month CT scan midway through chemo, no changes
2-3-mo CT scan post chemo 11/17 slightly larger lung nod (incr. from 7mm to 8 or 9mm)
CT scan 3/18 - NED
clear CT scan 1/2019 NED

MachineGunKelly

Postby MachineGunKelly » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:07 pm

Thanks CAGirl!

Yeah, honestly, really the only thing out of the ordinary right now is the fact that I pass a little blood occasionally, but I have a fissure too :). How much faith would anyone put in the fact that between the Abdominal Ultrasound, CT w/ IV Contrast and every conceivable blood test - all of that so far has been fine? The colo-rectal surgeon also did a full rectal exam and found 3 rhoids and a fissure.

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 am

I hope that your colonoscopy goes well and that you get good news!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

MachineGunKelly

Postby MachineGunKelly » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:52 am

Colonoscopy was this morning. Completely clean - no polyps, tumors etc.

They did take a sample of my lining because I've had some loose stools so they just want to make sure I'm absorbing all the food that I eat. Thank you again for your support and thoughts. All the best to you on your journeys.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”