Back to the Hospital

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
risto

Back to the Hospital

Postby risto » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:50 am

My DW has been vomiting quite a bit over the past 5 days. This morning, she woke up vomiting, with a 102 degree fever. After consulting with our oncology team by phone, we followed their recommendation to get her to the ER, and from there, she has been admitted into the hospital.

The CT scan preliminary findings show another small bowel obstruction, the cause of which is not yet clear. An NG tube has been intubated, and 3.5 liters of fluid have been pumped out of her GI tract, relieving some of the pressure in her abdomen. They believe the obstruction may be close to her stoma in which case stenting may be a possibility, as it is unlikely at this point that surgery would be any benefit. But first they want to see whether the obstruction may clear up on its own after the pressure is relieved. They won't continue giving chemo while she has an active obstruction, so it's important to get it cleared even though her nutritional needs are being provided by the TPN.

Has anyone on this forum had chemo during an active obstruction? Or is this a standard thing not to give chemo while there is an obstruction?
DW Dx 7/15, 41 yo, st IV, 3+ liver mets: 11.3 cm, 7cm, 3cm. MSS.
KRAS, APC, SMAD4, TP53 mut.
7/15-10/15: FOLFOX+bev. x8
11/15-12/15: SIRT (Y90)
1/16: Toxic Hepatitis, chemo break
4/16: Liver resec. fail
5/16-7/16: FOLFIRI x6
8/16: Liver resec.
8/16-11/16: FOLFIRI x6
2/17: IMRT/Xeloda x25
4/17: LAR
6/17: CT: Progression. Peri, Lung, Liver mets. FOLFIRI x6
9/17: FOLFIRI+Bev x5.
11/17: CT: Stable. 5FU+bev. maintenance x5
1/18-2/18: Surgery for SBO
5/18: ascites, acute liver injury

stu

Re: Back to the Hospital

Postby stu » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:36 am

Hi ,
I sincerely hope she is feeling some relief. That sounds a lot to endure .
If it can be stented I would imagine it should clear up quite quickly but I would think she would want a little down time to recover from that . It must have given her quite a fright and painful .
How are you holding up ? My mum had a few emergency abmissions for other reasons . They are emotionally tough on top of everything else.
You are such a great support to her.
Take special care,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:03 am

risto wrote:My DW has been vomiting quite a bit over the past 5 days. This morning, she woke up vomiting, with a 102 degree fever. After consulting with our oncology team by phone, we followed their recommendation to get her to the ER, and from there, she has been admitted into the hospital.

The CT scan preliminary findings show another small bowel obstruction, the cause of which is not yet clear. An NG tube has been intubated, and 3.5 liters of fluid have been pumped out of her GI tract, relieving some of the pressure in her abdomen. They believe the obstruction may be close to her stoma in which case stenting may be a possibility, as it is unlikely at this point that surgery would be any benefit. But first they want to see whether the obstruction may clear up on its own after the pressure is relieved. They won't continue giving chemo while she has an active obstruction, so it's important to get it cleared even though her nutritional needs are being provided by the TPN.

Has anyone on this forum had chemo during an active obstruction? Or is this a standard thing not to give chemo while there is an obstruction?

While my mom was admitted for her fractures she got an obstruction again. We were told before and now again that during an active obstruction no chemo will be given. N although I get it with oral chemo I don't understand how IV chemo cant be given.the only thing can get from the doctors is itll make it worse. Have you heard of intraperitoneal chemo? We really want mom to get that. But the doctors arnt listening to us
Daughter to mom 67, colon cancer
Diagnosed Dec 16, bowel obstruction.
Hemicolectimy done,Dec 16.
4 lesions in liver on scan before chemo jan 17.
Folfox +Avastin 12 cycles,disease progression on pet Aug 17.
Attempted liver resection, failed. Mets peritoneam. Diffuse.
Mets to lungs, liver. Peri on scan Nov 17.
3 cycles of folfiri+ cetuximab. Cea down from 888 to 383.
Small bowel obstruction jan 18

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:04 am

risto wrote:My DW has been vomiting quite a bit over the past 5 days. This morning, she woke up vomiting, with a 102 degree fever. After consulting with our oncology team by phone, we followed their recommendation to get her to the ER, and from there, she has been admitted into the hospital.

Also is she getting output from the stoma?

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:15 am

I'm sorry your wife is going through this and hope she feels better soon!*hugs*
Last edited by DarknessEmbraced on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:54 am

Hey how's ur wife doing now? I hope she's better

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”