confused by pet scan

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
betula

confused by pet scan

Postby betula » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Dh was diagnosed with rectal cancer in Dec 2016. (T3, N1, M0) He had 28 days radiation and chemo (5FU). That was finished Feb 2017, had surgery (permanent colostomy) in April 2017 and then finished Folfox in Septeber 2017.

His most recent ct scans showed three spots on his right lung so they now did a pet scan. We go tomorrow for results but of course I did the big no-no of reading the pet scan report.

There was some uptake in the spots on the lungs but it also showed "intense hypermetabolic uptake" in the rectum. I am confused because he no longer has a rectum so I am wondering if they mean in the area that the rectum was and could this uptake be due to the past radiation and surgery in that area? I have read that radiation can cause this.

As for the lung nodules, we live in an area that histoplasmosis is very common and his leisure activities seem to make him a prime candidate for that. My research shows that histoplasmosis can cause a false positive pet scan.

I know I am trying find any bit of hope that he does not have to go through all of this again. He feels good, looks great but I am freaking out.

Any words of wisdom and experience would be a appreciated.

Betula

Lee

Re: confused by pet scan

Postby Lee » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:24 pm

betula wrote:His most recent ct scans showed three spots on his right lung so they now did a pet scan. We go tomorrow for results but of course I did the big no-no of reading the pet scan report.

Any words of wisdom and experience would be a appreciated.

Betula

I don't have any words of wisdom, butt bumping this back to the top. How did the appt go the next day?

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”