blood clot in the in the brain and arms is it from Chemo?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tsingh

blood clot in the in the brain and arms is it from Chemo?

Postby tsingh » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Hello Urgent help needed please. My mom has Adenocarcinoma mid-rectum with with signet-ring component, grade 3. She is in India having her medical treatment. Prior to her treatment they did a CT-Scan and MRI and found no signs of clots. Well shorty after her chemo she started slurring and couldn't' stand. My brother took her to the hospital and they found blood clots in her brain and arms. She needed emergency surgery or otherwise she could have a stroke/heart attack. There was NO sign of any clots prior to. Did Chemo cause this? Doctors are not sure. I am thinking if Chemo caused this then how can we give her more chemo? Any experience please.

weisssoccermom

Re: blood clot in the in the brain and arms is it from Chemo?

Postby weisssoccermom » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:36 pm

A couple of facts that you should be aware of.

1. Cancer, by itself, predisposes a patient to blood clots.
2. Chemo can cause a patient to be diagnosed with a blood clot.

Now, just because a patient has cancer doesn't mean that every can patient will end up having a clot. I was told that our bodies are 'in balance' with respect to our blood clotting factors and cancer affects that 'balance'. It certainly doesn't happen to everyone but cancer patients, on a whole, are more predisposed to getting a clot (or more) because of some factor(s) that doctors aren't completely sure of.

Chemo also is a risk factor for blood clots.....doctors believe that it may have to do with the fact that chemo damages the blood vessels and/or that chemo may reduce certain proteins in our body which affect clotting.

It is also suspected that chemo and other medications a patient may be taking (birth control or hormone treatments for breast cancer) may actually have an adverse effect with respect to clots.

I can tell you that there have been people on this board, myself included, who have had a clot/clots while on treatment. In my case, I was put on a low dose birth control pill to combat severe menstrual bleeding and the combination of YAZ (BC pill that I was Rx'd), Xeloda and cancer was too much for my body. I ended up with a dozen clots....one DVT in my arm .....the rest of the clots were not life threatening but still very painful. Back in 2007, the only drug (that I am aware of ) for clotting issues was Coumadin (warfarin) and that is what I was put on.....after my hospitalization being treated with Lovenox. As I never had any other issues with clotting and since I was immediately taken off of YAZ, I only stayed on the drug for 2 months. Since then, no other issues but I am very cognizant of what a clot can feel like and to seek medical treatment right away (I also take a baby aspirin everday without fail!)

So to answer your question.....yes, chemo and cancer can be factors which can predispose a patient to blood clots. Your mom should be able to continue with her chemo but be put on a blood thinner such as Coumadin or one of the newer drugs for that problem.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

SteveNZ

Re: blood clot in the in the brain and arms is it from Chemo?

Postby SteveNZ » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:05 pm

Hi. If you look at my thread I had what is a TIA (temporary stroke- although you do not know that at the time) under chemotherapy that was sorted out. Fortunately it hit at the radiation clinic and I was quickly wheeled into the hospitals accident and emergency clinic . In my case they did extensive searching for other possible clots and let me go when happy all was OK.

I was warned beforehand that this was pretty rare but a factor to watch. Every person is different and as shared there may be many underlying health issues that chemotherapy triggers. Yes chemotherapy is a rather aggressive medical solution, with a fair bit of stress on a body, but has proven to help fight cancer. They will be watching out for these issues throughout and you must keep in close contact (I had a 24hr number to call) with medical folk.

Are thinking of you and your mum.
Aged 56 - I feel really young...
Colo-Rectal Cancer T2 N1 M0
March 2018 - Diagnosis
April-May 2018 Radiation+Chemo then a TIA (Minor Stroke). - Stopped Chemo.
August 27th-November 2018 - Surgery and long, long recovery
*Decided to live to 100 as I will get a telegram from Her Majesty the Queen when 100yrs old. I so, so want one.
Am a Salvation Army chap so I complete 'knee drill' (prayer) to the Commander in Chief often. For myself personally this helps me through.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”