Slightly elevated CEA and UTI, reflux, obstruction, no gallbladder

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Joiew
Facebook Username: Joie cler

Slightly elevated CEA and UTI, reflux, obstruction, no gallbladder

Postby Joiew » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:32 pm

I’m new here. Diagnosed last summer 2017 with Stage I TI rectal cancer. Had rectum and sigmoid removed at MD Anderson (originally from Houston now in Virginia) because I was 40 with a kid (too anxious not to know about lymph nodes). Pathology came back CLEAR! All malignancy was actually removed at colonoscopy but in too many parts to know about margins. 24/24 nodes CLEAR. Ileostomy reversal two months later on 9/22. It’s been tough since. Acid reflux led to upper GI in April 2018 with all biopsies normal. A little gastritis in lower stomach maybe due to gallbladder removal at same time as resection (there was a polyp but it was benign) so put on bile acid sequestrant, Cholestipol. Constipation more an issue than other extreme. Colonoscopy in April 2018 perfectly clear (and this time I went with a well-respected colorectal surgeon over a GI).

My CEA in Virginia just after polyp removal 6/2018 was 2.something and normal. At Anderson last year and two weeks later it was 3.2 which was then a little above their normal which they have since changed to 3.8. In February it was normal according to lab in Virginia (can’t remrmber the number). At Anderson last week scans were perfect but CEA was 4.2 to their new normal of 3.8

At the time of blood draw, I had an active UTI and had just gotten antibiotics two days before and just started my period. Also a small bowel obstruction on May 25 which quickly resolved without NG tube, etc. but I’ve been crampy if I eat too much fiber. Traveling, I forgot to take my Omeprazole and bile acid sequestrant. I live with terrible anxiety and have Fibromyalgia.

I have 2 confirmed hemangiomas on my liver. Confirmed on May 29th three simple cysts on ovaries (there had been a complex in April so this was to re-check and it was gone...I’ve always had cysts and have endometriosis).

I know CEA is not reliable. I know these are small numbers at different labs. My surgical oncologist at Anderson was not worried but I’m LOOSING MY MIND! He wants me to repeat it up here in VA in three months so I’m going to do more exercise, maybe only have a glass of wine once a week vs 3, eat a low inflammation diet (if that’s a real thing...I eat well to begin with). I was eating more simple carbs due to obstruction but that’s not what I like to eat. No coffee. I only ever have 1 cup anyway.

I need perspective, please. I also have dense breast tissue and have had mammograms and a biopsy recently. Nothing. Oh, and I was tested for Lynch. 95% unlikely or something like that. Neither parent had cancer and dad lived to be 93. Mom still going at 77. No aunts or uncles or siblings with hereditary cancers (sister had cervical from HPV). Grandmother had bladder cancer and lived to be 90.

Thank you!

Koreysue

Re: Slightly elevated CEA and UTI, reflux, obstruction, no gallbladder

Postby Koreysue » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:19 am

Hello,
Elevated CEA is a common topic around here, and it is always a scary thing. Lots of things can cause it to go up a bit and then it goes back down, perhaps it is your gastritis. Mine was 2.4 then 3.7 and the scan was clear. It’s not always a recurrence, but I know it is terribly stressful.
Dx: 6/2017 stage 3 CC
Sigmoid, 2 nodes
CEA at dx: 6.1
Sigmoid Colectomy/folfox (last chemo (1/31/18)
CEA 4/2018: 2.4
CEA 7/2018: 3.7
Colonoscopy 8/18 clean
PET scan 8/20/18 NED
CEA 11/2018: 3.8
CEA 2/2019: 3.2
CT NED 6/18/19 / CEA : 3.4
CEA 10/21/19: 3.2
CEA 3/9/20: 3.8
CT NED /CEA 6/17/20: 3.8
CEA 11/4/20 4.6 <——— whyyyy? (will retest in a few weeks)
CT NED 12/1/20 CEA: 3.5
CEA 5/21 4.2
CEA 10/21 3.4
colonoscopy 10/21 10mm polyp
CEA 4/22 3.7
CEA 7/22 3.8
CEA 12/22 4
CEA 1/22 3.2 and NED 5yr scan

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:52 am

All of the above can cause an elevated CEA. So can hypothyroid. Mine went to 5.8 with clear scans and I'd been pushing for my thyroid to be tested because I was gaining weight even when going to the gym 9 hours a week and eating small portions, etc. I was put on thyroid meds and my next CEA dropped over 50%.

Obstruction is a well know cause of an elevated CEA, as is any infection, inflammation, older age, etc. The only thing I've read that causes a false LOW reading is obesity.

Diane
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

Eleda
Facebook Username: adele Morgan

Postby Eleda » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:13 am

That's interesting Diane
because I had a reading of 4.4( normal under 3 under 5 for smoker )" I'm a ten year X smoker" and I was a fair bit on the plump side
I wonder how many others that relates to??
SWF, 47
Mom to 3 sons 6/8/12
Dec4th 2017 colonoscopy for minor intermittent rectal bleeding during Summer
CEA 4.4
DX T3 L3C M0 2.5/3 cm above AV.
JAN 3RD started 1650mg Zelda 2xday, with 28 radiation
Did tagamet 800mg daily and 75mg IV VIT C WEEKLY UNTIL SURGERY and
Tumor reduce by 80% 1 LN still remaining
TATME May10th, temp illeostomy
10/07/2018 CEA 3
MMR INTACT
Began FOLFOX July 10th
24/08/2018 Allergic reaction so next infusion lucovorin and 5fu
CEA 4
Second attempt with oxi aug 12th

strategygirl
Facebook Username: barbara.loggins

Postby strategygirl » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Have been in a panic for the past week because my CEA keeps increasing post-surgery. My oncologist says its within normal range but mine was normal (2.7) when I was diagnosed with stage III rectal cancer. Post-radiation, pre-surgery, it was 2.1; two months post-surgery, 1.0. But three months later, it was 1.3; and last week it was 1.7. My oncologist and surgical oncologist say it's well within normal limits but I'm still a little antsy because it seems to elevate and not fluctuate. Have driven my oncologist crazy for the past week. After all the great information I just read, I think I'll give him a break for a little while. Thanks.

Eleda
Facebook Username: adele Morgan

Postby Eleda » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:08 pm

Totally understand and even tho the understudys are not concerned,,,
I AM ,and wont rest till i see my oncologist in a week because they never took it today so I asked to have it done while the blood is still n the lab,,,,
While everyone makes total sense here with the reasoning
It's still a worry when it's urself,, and as u saying reading increasing and not fluctuating
My CEA is now 4.4 pre DX /3 after surgery/ chemo 4/3/4 so not concerned
8-17 to me is concerning,, but it looked if they only Chech it every other chemo
SWF, 47
Mom to 3 sons 6/8/12
Dec4th 2017 colonoscopy for minor intermittent rectal bleeding during Summer
CEA 4.4
DX T3 L3C M0 2.5/3 cm above AV.
JAN 3RD started 1650mg Zelda 2xday, with 28 radiation
Did tagamet 800mg daily and 75mg IV VIT C WEEKLY UNTIL SURGERY and
Tumor reduce by 80% 1 LN still remaining
TATME May10th, temp illeostomy
10/07/2018 CEA 3
MMR INTACT
Began FOLFOX July 10th