Losing the will to live

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dauofcamom

Re: Losing the will to live

Postby dauofcamom » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Hello everyone. Wanted to provide an update.

My mom is still with us. The chemo damn near killed her. Seriously. She was hospitalized twice in the month following her one and only Xelox treatment. Her onc took chemo off the table, which didn’t matter because she wasn’t going to do any more, regardless. She lost 20 pounds and was so weak she couldn’t get up from a chair. She was in a fog and only wanted to sleep. It was absolutely horrible seeing my mom so sick and losing her will to even survive.

So now we are left with enjoying everyday and praying the cancer doesn’t come back.

I am back on the east coast and talk to Mom every day. She sounds like her old self. Fully recovered and enjoying her life. Who knows how long it will last but her decision to enjoy the time she has rather than fight with chemo is the best decision we think she could have made. Quality over quantity.

She turned out to be Lynch negative but I had my colonoscopy yesterday. Two polyps removed but doc said they were not concerning.

I am thankful for all the support I got here. It’s been a journey and one I know in my heart we will likely travel again, but until that time we are making the best of everything.

Blessings to all.
Long Distance Caregiver to 75 year old Mom
3/2018 - colonoscopy, DX malignant cecum mass
4/2018 - right hemi
Stage IIIC - T4bN1aM0
MSI High
5/2018 - Xelox Regime
10/2018 - peri Mets discovered
10/2018 - Start Keytruda every 3 weeks
12/2018 - scan all clear

Caat55

Re: Losing the will to live

Postby Caat55 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:07 pm

If you read the recent threads there is one from a daughter of a 70 something mom who just had her ileo reversed. Maybe sharing that will help her to see this isn't the end. My brother was diagnosed with stage four cancer colon cancer, he wouldn't seek a second opinion as he said he didn't need anybody else to tell her he was dying. Well he didn't die he lived for three more years, but it wasn't pretty, it wasn't comfortable and I wouldn't wish to see anybody else experience that again. I've been at this for almost a year, it's rough but I'm not giving cancer any more opportunities to take anything away from me and my family. Hugs and best wishes.
Do at 55 y.o. Female
Dx 9/26/17 RC Stage 3
Completed 33 rad. tx, xeolda 12/8/17
MRI and PET 1/18 sign. regression
Surgery 1/31/18 Ileostomy, clean margins, no lymph node involved
Port 3/1/2018
Oxaliplatin and Xeloda start 3/22/18
Last Oxaliplatin 7/5/18, 5 rounds
CT NED 9/2018
PET NED 12/18
Clear Colonoscopy 2/19, 5/20

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”