Low Platelets

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
boxhill

Low Platelets

Postby boxhill » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:59 pm

Despite feeling great, I wasn't able to be infused for Round 4 today. My platelets had sunk from 104 last time to 63. My WBC has gone down to 2.4 (I started out at 2.9), but it's the platelets that have taken a nose dive from a starting point of 179.

I told them I wanted to power on through if at all possible, but the oncologist said no way. If the platelets went down further after this treatment I could be in serious trouble. So my infusion is being put off for a week, and they are considering reducing the oxaliplatin dose going forward.

I'm frustrated, and worried that I won't derive maximum benefit with a lower dose. But it appears that there is basically nothing I can do to bolster the platelet production.
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV (or "3 1/2" per Dana Farber consult, LOL)
3/17/18 blockage, emergency surgery, r hemicolectomy
11 of 25 nodes
5 of 5 mesentery nodes, matted
0.5 cm sub-capsular liver met removed
pT3 pN2b pM1
Neg CEA, neg BRAF, mut KRAS, germline mut ATM
dMMR, MSI-H, Neg for Lynch
5/4/18 FOLFOX

DebZ
Facebook Username: Bulc

Re: Low Platelets

Postby DebZ » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:16 pm

My new norm for platelets is low 50s and I still get chemo. My oxali is around 60 to 70 % strength, and we have to stretch it out to every three weeks. We've been tossing around different things to try to get the platelets up because it's a real concern. Disqualifies me from some trials.
48 @ diagnosis Sept 2014
MSS; Kras mutant G12D
Oct 2014: right hemicolectomy
Dec 2014-May 2015: Folfox
June 2015: clean scans
Sept 2015: scans reveal ovarian mass and liver met; Folfiri
Jan 2016: liver wedge resection and hysterectomy
April 2016: multiple lung mets; Folfiri+Avastin
June 2017: lung mets growing; switch to Folfox+Avastin
Jan-April 2018: dropped oxali; CEA rising
May 2018: back on Folfox+Avastin, add pulse steroid treatment to get platelet count up (continuously in 50s)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”