Cecal mass

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mcac15
Facebook Username: mcac15

Cecal mass

Postby mcac15 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:35 pm

I had a colonoscopy that found a submucosal mass in my cecum. CT scan confirmed a mass but no way to tell if it’s benign or malignant. GI doc who did colonoscopy suggested a cecectomy. Colon rectal surgeon feels a right hemicolectomy what needs to be donesince there’s no way to know if it’s malignant. This seems aggressive. Plus I’m terrified what my life would be like with so much of my colon missing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Stewsbetty

Re: Cecal mass

Postby Stewsbetty » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:38 am

Hi,
I had a right hemicolectomy for a cecal mass in June 2016. I haven’t found much effect on my system having lost a chunk of colon. I think rich foods are more difficult to digest and I get a bit of cramping and sometimes diarrhea with them. Other than that I haven’t found losing the ascending colon has effected me much.
I had never heard of a cecectomy before but just googled. Looks like they are used mostly for benign polyps or appendicial cancer. I think it would be wise to be mentally prepared for the right hemi just in case they go in and find it necessary to obtain good margins in case of cancer.

Hope to hear of good results for you.

Beth
42yo At diagnosis. Female in BC, Canada
Dx: CC ascending
Right Hemi colectomy 06/16 clear margins
Adenocarcinoma 6cm High Grade
pT3 pN2a Stage 3
10 out of 16 lymph involved
MSI-h, Kras mut, Braf wild
Finished chemo Feb. 2017
PET scan showing active area April 2017
July 2017 CT showing LN mass and spread to other LN
Stage 4
Aug 2017 failed Fofiri
Sept 2017 keytruda scans every 3 months showing shrinkage and stability
November 2018 CT shows only 1 small tumour left
September 2019 clear CT finally NED!!!

Deb m

Postby Deb m » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:32 am

my husbands mass was in his cecum. He had it removed along with pretty much of his acceding colon and just a couple inches of his small intestine and his appendix. That was over 7 years ago and he's been fine after finishing 12 rounds of folfox.

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:27 pm

I had a right hemicolectomy in March. Honestly, it wasn't a big deal during surgery recovery until I started chemo, which has exacerbated a pre-existing tendency towards diarrhea/loose stools created by Metformin, a diabetes drug I take. I can eat normally, maybe with a bit more attention to avoiding meals with a lot of oil or having two big salad meals in one day.

It sounds like you could probably have laparoscopic surgery, which is an easier recovery.

I don't think you need to be terrified. :wink:
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable
6/28/19 Pause Key, predisone for joint pain
7/31/19 Restart Key
9/19 CT stable
Pain: all fails but Celebrex
12/23/19 CT stable
5/20 MRI stable/NED
6/20 Stop Key
All MRIs NED

emkaye

Postby emkaye » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:30 pm

My mom has a cancerous mass in her cecum. She will have a right helicolectomy performed next Tuesday to remove the mass along with healthy surrounding tissue.
I've never heard of cecectomy either but perhaps if yours is benign and confined to the cecum that is standard procedure.
The helicolectomy can now be performed laproscopically. The surgeon told us that barring any complications she will be in the hospital for about 3 or 4 days.
He also told her that she can eat anything she wants following surgery!
Try not to stress out about it too much. I'll be praying for you!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”