olive oil as laxative

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Bob_Weiss

olive oil as laxative

Postby Bob_Weiss » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:20 pm

I was having sudden urgent diarrhea for 5+ years after an ileostomy reversal, and as a result I feared going more than 4-5 blocks away from my house. If I had to travel, I would eat minimally the day before, and would only drink some tea. Finally I discovered that this problem occurred after eating fried food, which I fried using olive oil. In the last 3 months I have eliminated olive oil and have not any severe diarrhea episodes. I still get some stomach pain when eating foods containing fat, such as eggs, but no longer have to worry about severe diarrhea. If only the gastroenterologists I visited had mentioned olive oil as a danger, I would have been saved much aggravation.
Stage 3 R/C -1 node+ ( 7/09)
5 wks radiation, 2 wks chemo: 5FU (8-9/09)
Rectal surgery: tumor removal (11/09)
10 rounds Xeloda: 3000mg/daily 1 wk on/1 wk off (1/10-6/10)
Supplements: Aspirin, Calcium, Vit. D3
03/27/17: 7+ yrs. since surgery--still NED

SteveNZ

Re: olive oil as laxative

Postby SteveNZ » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Bob_Weiss wrote:I was having sudden urgent diarrhea for 5+ years after an ileostomy reversal, and as a result I feared going more than 4-5 blocks away from my house.....which I fried using olive oil. In the last 3 months I have eliminated olive oil and have not any severe diarrhea episodes.

Hi,
I have always known about olive oil as a help for constipation but I am amazed such a small amount, changed a bit via the frying process, and effectively taken with food could have such an effect.
A quote I quickly found;

QUOTE: The fats in olive oil can help make the insides of the bowel smoother, making stools easier to pass. ... One tablespoon of olive oil, taken on an empty stomach in the morning, may relieve constipation for many healthy adults. Taking more than this amount can lead to diarrhea and cramps and is not recommended.Oct 12, 2016 https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/313416.php

Thank you for sharing as it is a lesson I need to store away for the future.
I am sorry you discovered it the hard way. It sounds like 'trial and error' is the process to follow during rehab. O Brother......
Aged 56 - I feel really young...
Colo-Rectal Cancer T2 N1 M0
March 2018 - Diagnosis
April-May 2018 Radiation+Chemo then a TIA (Minor Stroke). - Stopped Chemo.
August 27th-November 2018 - Surgery and long, long recovery
*Decided to live to 100 as I will get a telegram from Her Majesty the Queen when 100yrs old. I so, so want one.
Am a Salvation Army chap so I complete 'knee drill' (prayer) to the Commander in Chief often. For myself personally this helps me through.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”