ANY OF YOU CHANGE YOUR DIETS?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:41 am

Hey all...just to add to that, Hannah's just making sure that everyone knows that what may have been a miracle for one person could have the exact opposite affect on someone else. (In other words, we're covering our own butts here...or should I say colons?!)

I think in the end, as far as nutrition goes...it's just like anything else...everything in moderation.

missjv

Postby missjv » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:23 pm

hi,
well i have lightend up some and yes i did go have a steak when i found out my excellent prognosis for curative surgery and i drank a coke!! i know that there is so much stuff out there on the internet telling people drink this miracle juice or eat this miracle fruit but im sure that is all a bunch of bull crap, who knows how any of us got this nasty disease but we can all try to eat better not only for cancer but health in general i have noticed since i did change my eating ways my cholesterol is lower by a couple of points and my blood pressure is lower. i bought books from the american cancer society on healthy eating i guess that would be the best place to get info on cancer and healthy diets i also purchased their book on colerrectal cancer and it is a great book for anyone going through this who doesn't have the book it is well worth buying lots of info on new treatments and it also states for those of us with stage 4 that it is not an automatic death sentence that the new drugs and curative surgeries are prolonging lives for years and stage 4 can be treated in some cases as a chronic disease and controled by drugs. i guess most of all common sense is the best thing to use when you go to eat something i did have a lean cut of steak instead of a big one with crispy fat on the edges and it was still good.

missjv

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:22 pm

Hey missjv, you are exactly right - drink a Coke and eat a steak every once in a while!

I am very serious about "good eating" and almost always get my water, fruits, veggies and fiber every day. I also take my vitamins and try to exercise at least four times a week (I love jumping on my mini-trampoline). Heck, it may not keep me from getting colon cancer but I sure do feel GREAT when I eat right and get my exercise.

But wow let me tell you - I sure do love my diet Coke and I have to eat some candy several times a week or I am just completely miserable to be around!

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

jana

Postby jana » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:53 am

Organic and natural foods don't have pesticide exposure. My nutritionist told me, when you have stage 4 cancer (or any cancer) your body is fighting hard to beat the cancer. It doesn't have any reserve to fight the pesticides we eat. Sugars and flours that are processed (anything white) are chemically alterered. I just don't want my poor little body to fight any needless fights. Read the ingrediants on foods - it is mind blowing!

I switched to honey (no more sugar), whole wheat everything, and as much organic produce I can find. I also take tons of vitamins. I don't eat red meat or poultry, but love fish. The funny thing is: I really don't miss the meat. I have only "cheated" 2 times in the last 1.5 years.

I am sharing this because I feel really good; even though I am on cpt11, erbitux, avastin, and xeloda. I don't know if my diet will cure me, but it makes me tolerate the chemo much better.

This weekend the Wall Street Journal had an article on people who are 80% vegetarian get ALL the benefits as people who are complete vegetarian. Vegan diets have a bit more benefit - but come on!

I hope this helps. Wish you all easy treatment and complete remission. jana
Live every moment to it's fullest.

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:26 am

No, I haven't changed my diet. I've read some unconventional theories about sugar, vitamin C, aged garlic extract, etc., etc. There doesn't seem to be serious evidence, and I just don't believe any of it. I'll follow any suggestions of my oncologist, but he hasn't said anything to me about nutrition.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

missjv

Postby missjv » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:20 am

HI JANA,
I READ YOUR POST AND SEE YOU TAKE LOTS OF VITAMINS. BE CAREFUL YOU DON'T OVER DO IT. MANY ONCO'S AND NUTRITIONISTS HAVE TOLD ME ALL YOU NEED IS A DAILY MULTI VITAMIN IF ANY AT ALL IF YOUR DIET IS GOOD YOU DON'T NEED TO INCLUDE VITAMINS. I WORKED FOR A DOCTOR WHO HAD BREAST CANCER AND PROBABLY WOULD HAVE SURVIVED BUT SHE TOOK TONS OF VITAMINS ALONG WITH CHEMO AND SHE BASICALLY KILLED HERSELF ALL THE ANTIOXIDENTS AND VITAMINS SHE TOOK CONTRIADIDCTED THE CHEMOTHERAPY AND IT BASICALLY DID NOT WORK AND HER CANCER ADVANCED RAPIDLY. MAYBE SHE WOULD HAVE STILL DIED BUT ALL HER DOCS AGREED SHE BASICALLY FED THE CANCER WITH ALL THAT EXTRA STUFF SHE DID NOT NEED AND OVERDOSED ON VITAMINS AND BODY JUST WENT CRAZY. ANYWAYS BECAREFUL OF HOW MUCH VITAMINS YOU TAKE.

MISSJV

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:35 pm

Hannah, thanks for the very eloquent reminder to avoid making "absolute" statements about things that are far from absolute.

I agree with Cancerdad. Common sense should rule your diet. All things in moderation. There are lots of anectdotal stories of people who became vegetarians or vegans and beat their cancer against improbable odds. Unfortunately, there are lots of people who made radical diet changes and still died. Their stories don't get as much press.

I was always a healthy eater - lots of fruits and veggies, daily exercise, non-smoker. I was the poster girl for good health and I still got cancer. After reading "The China Study" I made an effort to reduce the overall animal protien in my diet. Emphasis on "lowering" rather than cutting it out all together. Coincidently, my metastasis slowed during the last two months. I'm quite thin and undergoing chemo so my focus is more on healthy caloric intake than on things that I should be cutting out of my diet.

I spoke with an accupucturist who insisted I must avoid ALL alcohol, caffiene, dairy products, red meat, shell fish, diet beverages, sugar... the list goes on. No thanks, I'll choose to enjoy my life. I savor my non-side effect days when I can wake up to a nice cup of coffee and relax at the end of the day with a glass of wine or a beer.

Happiness and balance are important!

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:11 pm

I was starting to freak out about my vitamins. I was taking a multivitamin, some B6 and a B complex for neuropathy, but not big doses. I was also taking evening primrose oil with a little vit E in it for hot flashes. Again low dose. And I was using an antioxidant rich fruit drink. It was all fruit, with no addititional supplimentation, so I think it was OK. I think the trouble starts when you get into unnatural amounts of supplimentation. I only drank two to three ounces a day of this stuff. Less than the manufacturer's recommendation. I'm in complete remission now, so it couldn't have been playing too much havoc with the chemo. After all, any healthy diet has a fair amount of antioxidant content. We need them, just as we need calories, sugar and fats. Moderation is the key to it all. Antioxidants are, in fact, quite good for us. It just happens that cancer cell are "us" too. That's why chemo makes "us" feel bad. It's all "us". We just have to balance what's good for the "us" we want to keep around with what's bad for the "us" we want to go away.

Loraine llancri@yahoo.com

Reply to Carol

Postby Loraine llancri@yahoo.com » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:34 pm

Hi Carol. My best friend, 30 years old also has stage IV cc with mets to liver, both lungs, and newly her lymph nodes around the aorta nd kidney. She has undergone soooooooooooooo many surgeries and chemo. Her doctors tell her she can no longer endure anymore surgeries and to seek clinical trials. I would love to hear from you, especially since your doctor works at Dana Farber and is seeking a trial for you. Any help would be so gratefully appreciated. My friend doesn't have much time. However, all of our spirits are positive and those who love her are on a rampage to help her. Maybe we can help you too. Her story is under the subject matter Clinical Trials of this website. Much luck and positive energy to you.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”