Genetic Testing

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!

Genetic Testing

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:44 pm

Hi everyone....
I was wondering if anyone has had genetic testing (women) to see if you have the gene for breast cancer and ovarian cancer. I am a little uninformed about this and my onocologist mentioned it to me last year. I am coming up on another visit to my oncologist (FIVE YEARS COLON CANCER FREE!!!!) and I think he'll probably mention it again. My grandmother had breast cancer and I, of course, had colon cancer. He thought it might be something I should look into. Another concern I have is insurance covering it. If anyone has any more info (or sources of info) or advice, I'd happily take it.
Thanks,
Maggie

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:39 pm

Maggie,

Congratulations on your SURVIVORSHIP! You rock! I am so happy to hear that you are five year disease free! As for genetic testing, I have had comprehensive genetic testing. I would definitely enocourage you to talk to your physician about the testing. If you would like to research some preliminary information you may visit www.myriad.com, the mayo clinic in Rochester, MN, or the City of Hope in California! I am so happy to hear that you are being proactive in the management of your health. Please know that you are in my prayers! If you have specific questions, please do not hesitate to email me!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”