Lost my Polyp

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
justconfused

Lost my Polyp

Postby justconfused » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:09 am

First off I hope I am not offending anyone here but really don't know whom else I should speak about this other than the DR. I am a 36 year old male that had a colonoscopy 3 years ago due to mucus, the results were clear. Fast forward another 3 years (this year at age 36) I had another colonoscopy due to rectal bleeding after treatment of hemorrhoids for 4 months not clearing. The Dr. went all the way to the terminal ileum and took a biopsy, the report came back with it stated it was just lymphoid tissue. When the doctor was withdrawing the scope she came across a small 5mm sessile polyp in my sigmoid which was removed completely, the issue is that it was lost on retrieval and a biopsy could not be done. I do not have any family history of colon cancer.

She noted that it was benign but appeared to be adenomatous but wasn't retrieved, she mentioned that she would like to do another one 3 years. The part I am struggling with is if I should ask to do at least a SIGMOIDSCOPY in 1 year then also have the repeat colonoscopy in 3years just to be on the safe side or am I way out of line on this? I was actually awake during the procedure and saw everything the polyp didn't look like anything bad but of course you need a microscope to see that and it was the same color of my colon wall so i don't think it had any dysplasia in it but what do I know! Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what I should do on this? Thanks so much.

O Stoma Mia

Re: Lost my Polyp

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:09 pm

Do you know if the location of this polyp was marked with a tattoo? If so, then a followup sigmoidoscopy could be done to see if that polyp has started to grow again.

Do you know what kind of polyp it was? Pedunculated? Sessile?

justconfused

Re: Lost my Polyp

Postby justconfused » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:31 am

O Stoma Mia wrote:Do you know if the location of this polyp was marked with a tattoo? If so, then a followup sigmoidoscopy could be done to see if that polyp has started to grow again.

Do you know what kind of polyp it was? Pedunculated? Sessile?

Nope it was not marked with a tattoo, and it was a sessile polyp and it was not really flat it was more of a half sphere shape 5mm. I know looking at "Guidelines" It looks like if they dont retrieve a polyp they mark it ademetous and recommend a 3 year followup. Since we really dont know what the polyp is it kinda of freaks me out a little, and I was just wanting to be proactive as possible but then again I dont want to be having unnecessary scopes.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”