Bone pain

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Sara!!!!

Bone pain

Postby Sara!!!! » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:45 pm

Hey everyone . So my started having bone pain in her sacroiliac joint a week or two ago. It started as stiffness. She cudnt get up from lying down or stand after sitting. Thn it started hurting. Radiated in the right leg . Front of thigh. She had some spots show up in last scan in t12 and right iliac bone. So everyone thought they've increased and causing pain. Her scan on Monday show the foci are same with way decreased SUV and activity. Her largest pwriotneal Met is on right side and doc thought maybe that causingit. It also shows abit decrease in size and reduced activity. Her pain keeps increasing. It's relentless now. Constant back and leg. Any idea what it could be?
Daughter to mom 67, colon cancer
Diagnosed Dec 16, bowel obstruction.
Hemicolectimy done,Dec 16.
4 lesions in liver on scan before chemo jan 17.
Folfox +Avastin 12 cycles,disease progression on pet Aug 17.
Attempted liver resection, failed. Mets peritoneam. Diffuse.
Mets to lungs, liver. Peri on scan Nov 17.
3 cycles of folfiri+ cetuximab. Cea down from 888 to 383.
Small bowel obstruction jan 18

RobDontGiveUp

Re: Bone pain

Postby RobDontGiveUp » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:38 pm

I wish I had an answer for you. I've been on chemo nonstop for almost three years and started having bone pain in my hip and down the outside parts of both legs from the hip down. No one's really had an answer for me. Ive seen stories that chemo weakens the bones, so I guess that could be it and it's just me getting to go through my senior citizen years n my 30's. Have her keep pushing her doctors for answers and hopefully someone else here might have an idea or suggestion. Best of luck
35 M dx Stage IVA colon cancer 7/15 w/
mets to retroperitoneal lymph nodes, suspected neck and para aortic as well
CAA 19-9 <3
12 rounds of FOLFOX W Vectibix 7/15
partial remission with shrinkage of tumor and ln's. Switch to XelodaAvastin 12/15
complete remission NED 6/16 Still on XelodaAvastin
Cancer returns in ln's Start Folfiri Vectibix 10/16
Shrinkage in ln's Folfiri vectibix 2/17
Tumor returns to cecum but ln's remain stable, right hemi 7/17
Folfiri Vectibix 8/17
lung mets 2 nods 2.5cm Stivarga 6/18

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:29 am

What kinda pain do you get? Is it severe? How do you manage it? Her pain has become pretty severe . They gave her morphine which caused obstruction. Now on fentanyl. Which causes nausea :/ it just came suddenly . And has increased so much

Sophy

Postby Sophy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:00 am

Hi Sara, your mothers pain might be due to radiation damage from rectal cancer treatment. I developed this about 5 years after radiation, my sacral ilia (join between pelvis and spine) started to fracture with normal life, no falls or accidents, and not repair itself. It was very painful and only lying down gave any relief.
I had hyperbaric oxygen treatment at the public hospital fot 8 weeks in 2016 and the fractures healed, I have very little pain now as the bone repaired itself. This was the only treatment for radiation necrosis that I could find.
For me the damage was visible on CT and MRI but bone density scan showed nothing abnormal.
I hope that this might help and that your mother finds some felief from her pain
Sophy
dx T3N1M0 Feb 2011 when children age 11, 7 and 2
Xeloda/rad March 11, LAR June 11 temp ileo
Xelox 6 rounds, NED
Lung mets Oct 13
Laser surgery Germany Jan 14. 3 mets left lung.
Laser surgery UK Jun and Aug 14 one met each lung, NED
Aug 14 Started Xeloda and Celebrex (ADAPT)
June 20 CT shows nodule, bronchoscopy confirms is scar tissue, still NED
Dec 20 stopping Xeloda continue celebrex, cimetedine
Aug 21,March 23 scans show still NED
March 2023 CURED - discharged from Oncology, no more scans or follow up

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:25 am

Sophy wrote:Hi Sara, your mothers pain might be due to radiation damage from rectal cancer treatment. I developed this about 5 years after radiation, my sacral ilia (join between pelvis and spine) started to fracture with normal life, no falls or accidents, and not repair itself. It was very painful and only lying down gave any relief.
I had hyperbaric oxygen treatment at the public hospital fot 8 weeks in 2016 and the fractures healed, I have very little pain now as the bone repaired itself. This was the only treatment for radiation necrosis that I could find.
For me the damage was visible on CT and MRI but bone density scan showed nothing abnormal.
I hope that this might help and that your mother finds some felief from her pain
Sophy

Hey sophy my mom didn't get radiation cuz it was colon cancer. Or that wudve made sense. Her leg hurts alot now! The pain is unbearable. :(

SteveNZ

Postby SteveNZ » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:45 pm

Sophy wrote:Hi Sara, your mothers pain might be due to radiation damage from rectal cancer treatment....
That is interesting Sophy. Years ago I needed bone transplant and this was taken from my hip. Following my radiation I have the almost identical bone pain where radiated. I assume expected internal bone damage is now slowly healing. The medical folk have been told.

Sara - I hope they sort things out for you soon. :D
Aged 56 - I feel really young...
Colo-Rectal Cancer T2 N1 M0
March 2018 - Diagnosis
April-May 2018 Radiation+Chemo then a TIA (Minor Stroke). - Stopped Chemo.
August 27th-November 2018 - Surgery and long, long recovery
*Decided to live to 100 as I will get a telegram from Her Majesty the Queen when 100yrs old. I so, so want one.
Am a Salvation Army chap so I complete 'knee drill' (prayer) to the Commander in Chief often. For myself personally this helps me through.

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:11 am

Ok some update. On looking upon scans closely they think it's fracture of l4 . N that's causing the pain by pressing on spinal cord. Anyone has any idea about it?

LPL

Postby LPL » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:20 am

Sara!!!! wrote:Ok some update. On looking upon scans closely they think it's fracture of l4 . N that's causing the pain by pressing on spinal cord. Anyone has any idea about it?

I’ve had compression fractures in my lumbar spine and it caused a lot of pain, inkluding that my legs felt ’odd’.
Here is an artikel describing problems that can come from the area L4-L5.
https://www.spine-health.com/conditions ... al-segment
DH @ 65 DX 4/11/16 CC recto-sigmoid junction
Adenocarcenoma 35x15x9mm G3(biopsi) G1(surgical)
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D
CEA & CA19-9: 5/18 2.5 78 8/17 1.4 48 2/14/17 1.8 29
4 Folfox 6/15-7/30 (b4 liver surgery) 8 after
CT: 8/8 no change 3/27/17 NED->Jan-19 mets to lung NED again Oct-19 :)
:!: Steroid induced hyperglycemia dx after 3chemo
Surgeries 2016: 3/18 Emergency colostomy
5/23 Primary+gallbl+stoma reversal+port 9/1 Liver mets
RFA 2019: Feb & Oct lung mets

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:50 am

LPL wrote:
Sara!!!! wrote:Ok some update. On looking upon scans closely they think it's fracture of l4 . N that's causing the pain by pressing on spinal cord. Anyone has any idea about it?

I’ve had compression fractures in my lumbar spine and it caused a lot of pain, inkluding that my legs felt ’odd’.

Hey what did they do about your fractures? Did your pain radiate to your leg too?

LPL

Postby LPL » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:48 am

Sara!!!! wrote:
LPL wrote:

Hey what did they do about your fractures? Did your pain radiate to your leg too?

I believe that it takes around 3 months for the body to heal compression fractures. Nothing was done to speed up that. For the pain I had some pain pills. This was in 2007 and the Bad pain in my back is what I remember most but, as I said, there was an ‘odd’ feeling in my legs too - like they became weak and also they did hurt but not so much. I presume that it depend on how bad the fracture is?
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:44 pm

Compression fractures can be treated with injections of a glue/cement like substance into the affected deficit of the vertebrae. The technique is called “vertebral kyroplasty” and is performed by an interventional radiologist.

Lumbar vertebrae can suffer fracture and loss of anterior height due to metastatic disease. I had a close friend who had lumbar fractures due to this sequelea.
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

LPL

Postby LPL » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:38 pm

MissMolly wrote:Compression fractures can be treated with injections of a glue/cement like substance into the affected deficit of the vertebrae. The technique is called “vertebral kyroplasty” and is performed by an interventional radiologist.

Lumbar vertebrae can suffer fracture and loss of anterior height due to metastatic disease. I had a close friend who had lumbar fractures due to this sequelea.
Karen

Yes, you are correct Miss Molly and I might have tried that if my compression fractures had been worse. My compression factures included many L vertabraes (I have lost 6cm) but was not so very bad and due to (only) Osteoporosis I decided not to because there are potencial side effects with that procedure too. Having cancer with very bad pain will of course put things in another perspective.
Last edited by LPL on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:15 pm

MissMolly wrote:Compression fractures can be treated with injections of a glue/cement like substance into the affected deficit of the vertebrae. The technique is called “vertebral kyroplasty” and is performed by an interventional radiologist.

Karen

We had a pet MRI last Monday due to the pain she was having and it did not mention anything regarding the l4 vertebra. If she had the fracture after that why was she having pain before? And if she already had fracture wudnt the pet have shown something?

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:17 pm

Karen

Also is it possible to go into intestinal obstruction due to morphine? They started giving her morphine for pain and her stoma output completey stopped .

LPL

Postby LPL » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:22 pm

Sara!!!! wrote:
We had a pet MRI last Monday due to the pain she was having and it did not mention anything regarding the l4 vertebra. If she had the fracture after that why was she having pain before? And if she already had fracture wudnt the pet have shown something?

As I understand this paper a fracture can be seen on MRI. ”Computed tomography is one of the most suitable imaging techniques for the evaluation of bone structure and fragments and to establish the degree of cortical bone destruction; MR imaging (MRI) is the most helpful radiological investigation in order to provide the basis for the distinction between metastatic and acute osteoporotic compression fractures. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2 ... 40/related
Have you asked your doctor?
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”