PVE response

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
RulaLenska

PVE response

Postby RulaLenska » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:59 pm

I’ve had a robust response to the Portal Vein Embolisation with no complications. All of my pre-op tests look great and I am scheduled for an extended resection on 6/12. I’m excited/nervous about this surgery. It’s a much bigger deal than my colon resection. I’m in pretty good shape except for this lil cancer thingy...not diabetic, no heart disease, not over weight, don’t smoke or drink. Any experience y’all can share would be appreciated. Wish me luck though I think I’ve had more than my share already!
Dx 8/16 IV stage with mets to lungs liver adrenals
KRAS wt MSS CEA over 400
2 x folfori caused refractory diarrhea but dropped CEA to 200
Switched to folfox stopped after 10 due to neuropathy
Avastin leucorvorin 5fu dropped after 11 due to hfs
Chemo break to travel.
Nov. 2017 emergency sleeve colectomy of primary tumor.
Vectibix irinotecan
PET scan shows no lung or adrenal tumors
5/2 Portal Vein Embolisation in preparation for liver resection.
6/12 extended right resection removing 60%.

stu

Re: PVE response

Postby stu » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:51 am

All the very best with your liver surgery . It is odd to feel so excited about surgery . That’s how my family felt too . You sound strong . My mum was 69 when she had her big liver op and it’s remained clear for the last seven years . She remains in good shape all things considering .
She has had her share of procedures too but things have settled considerably. I wish the same for you .
All the very best ,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

RulaLenska

Postby RulaLenska » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:32 am

Thank you Stu. I’m a bit younger than your mom at 60 but we share a similar story. I’m happy to hear of her successes. Has she noticed any differences in function with having so much liver removed? No doubt it’s all been replaced by now with regrowth but I wonder what it felt like initially. I’ll be losing all of the right side and a wedge of segment 4 and anything else that appears. With the response I’ve had already I feel full all the time so it may be a relief to gain a little room at first! What an amazing organ the liver is. Too bad we can’t transfer some of its traits to other organs.
Continued good health to your mom.
Cyn
KRAS wt MSS CEA over 400
Chemo break to travel.
Vectibix irinotecan

Geoman

Postby Geoman » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:09 am

My experience- Liver resection was easy compared to my rectal surgery. Hospital really keeps you out of pain with meds. Try to walk as much as possible in hospital. When you get home, it’s a little different with pain. Mostly pain at incision location that could be tough at times. Keep a pillow handy that you can compress against stomach for support when getting up from chair/bed. Stay ahead of pain with pain killers. Try to stay active at home. Walk 5 minutes every hour or so. Worst thing u can do is lay around even though you are going to want to.

You will do great. How your liver responds to the pve is a good indicator of how your liver will respond to the surgery.
Dx @ 44, rectal cancer-stage 4 with Mets to liver 8/16
CEA 19
Kras g12d; Braf
Ypt3,ypN1a,ypM1
5 rounds 5fu with avastin (4) 9/16-11/16
PVE/Liver Resection 12/16
28 days rad/xeloda 2/17-3/17
APR-4/17
Clear Margins
7 rounds 5Fu with avastin- 5/17-8/17
CEA-1.2
NED-12/17, 1/18,
Multiple spots in lungs-5/18

RulaLenska

Postby RulaLenska » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:56 am

Thank you Geoman for all the info. I’m fortunate to have one of my sisters coming from out of state to care for me and keep me moving. She is the perfect combination of compassion and big-sister-bossy!
Did you have any issues with your diaphragm? As far as coughing or sitting up or standing erect? I know from my colectomy that a pillow helps with coughing. This incision will be mostly horizontal and much longer.
I’m glad to see that you’ve done well with treatment. What are you planning with the latest lung spots? I don’t know much about lung treatments as mine resolved before they became an area of focus. Best of luck with everything.
Cyn
KRAS wt MSS CEA over 400
Chemo break to travel.
Vectibix irinotecan

stu

Postby stu » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi ,
I think you will be better placed in terms of recovery than my mum as she was down to 27% left to function with . I think the liver conserved it’s functions and her main problem was three stones worth of fluid . The liver just did not produce enough protein to push the fluids through . With help she got it under control . Definitely a bit yellow too . She was heavily medicated for two weeks but she is a strong wee thing and pushed back quickly . The smaller liver resection was much easier which would lead me to think you will be better placed . She kayaked six weeks later in open seas .
One night she had to have a quick scan due to pain . She had in fact over eaten . My husband is a medic and they showed him the scan . He said it looked as though her liver had floated into her midline a little and was a really odd shape . Every time she got scanned we would joke that some junior radiologist is probably getting a shock right now .
After a few months she was fighting fit . Her liver function is fabulous. How incredible is that !!! She keeps well .
All the very , very best for your surgery .
Stu
Last edited by stu on Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Geoman

Postby Geoman » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:32 pm

No issues at all now. I started stretching about 6 weeks out and then worked up to light core strengthening. It was tough but doable. I still do core strengthening 2 to 3 times per week. I am not going to sugar coat this- you are going to have times that you are going to be sore but you can get thru it. Stay ahead with the meds. No need for you to hurt.

Lung spots showed no activity with PET so we are on a watch and see. Unfortunately I did have a met show up on liver right at resection line. Ugh!! It is in a good spot to remove though.

I am also waitIng to hear on a T-cell trial. If approved, i will likely take that route.

I wish you the best.
Dx @ 44, rectal cancer-stage 4 with Mets to liver 8/16
CEA 19
Kras g12d; Braf
Ypt3,ypN1a,ypM1
5 rounds 5fu with avastin (4) 9/16-11/16
PVE/Liver Resection 12/16
28 days rad/xeloda 2/17-3/17
APR-4/17
Clear Margins
7 rounds 5Fu with avastin- 5/17-8/17
CEA-1.2