Diverticulitis surgery recovery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
luap

Diverticulitis surgery recovery

Postby luap » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:35 am

Hello All,
I had colon/rectal resection about 5 weeks ago. Removed about 8 inches laparoscopically with full connection. I still get some cramping occasionally and my bowel movements are daily but minimal output. I'm still very careful with what I eat. I just don't feel myself. A lot of lower back pain but I guessing this is from sitting around all day. Doctor said I could walk but that's it. Has anyone else had similar issues. Can I ever be "normal" again after this surgery?

Robino1
Facebook Username: Robin.lawthers

Re: Diverticulitis surgery recovery

Postby Robino1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:35 pm

Were you told to eat a BRAT diet?

https://www.healthline.com/health/brat-diet

You want to give your intestines a chance to heal and wake up fully. My surgeon had told me to eat the non healthy foods until the swelling from surgery goes away. After that, flip flop the diet.

5 weeks isn't that terribly long ago. I think at this point, you should be walking frequently to build your strength back up. You will not be totally normal. You get a new normal. ;)

I gave myself 6 weeks before starting to do some stretching exercises. Start slow and don't overtax yourself.
At 54 2014 1st colonoscopy colon cancer detect
Colon resect margins clear. No chemo Stage II
Distend abd, pain in intestines.
CT scan seeding & Ascites
Lap diag - cancer on the omentum
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
8/29/17 CT melting of tumor.
Latest CT scan shows 2 new tumors and return of ascites.
CEA: (2017)9/30 -109; 10/12 -99.1; 11/4 -90.7; 11/30 -70.7; 12/14 -83.4; (2018)1/4 -73.3; 2/1-84.2; 89.2; 89.8; 88.5; 81.8: 93.5; 107; 119
BRAF V600e

MissMolly

Re: Diverticulitis surgery recovery

Postby MissMolly » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:48 pm

Luap:
I agree with Robin that 5 weeks post-op is still early days in the overall recovery framework.

The intestines are sensitive to surgical handling and manipulation. The intestines are like a delicate flower - they do not like to be touched and handled. Inflammation of the interior lumen of the intestines is common. The post-operative intestinal tract can be fickle with dramatically slowed motility, delayed peristalsis, and slowed passage of food-stuffs down and through the intestinal tract.

Slowed intestinal motility is likely the reason that you feel that your bowel movements are minimal. It can also lead to feelings of abdominal distension, bloating, constipation, and generally feeling full with low appetite.

The intestinal tract, at a basic level, is a tube composed of smooth muscle. Like any muscle, the intestines need regular “exercise” to be healthy. The body in motion supports enhanced intestinal motility. Walking is one of the best modalities to support intestinal activity to propel digested good material along the length of the intestinal tract. Look to walking as an effective means to facilitate your recovery. Start with several short distance walks a day, at a pace that is comfortable.

Eating small mini-meals is oft a better strategy than eating breakfast-lunch-dinner with moderate portion sizes. You do not want to overwhelm the intestinal tract with food intake. Small portion sizes are more conducive to intestinal healing. Keep food choices to soft, easy to digest foods with minimal insoluble fiber. Melon balls, scrambled eggs, creamed soups, saltine crackers, cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, etc.

Be cognizant of your fluid intake. Be generous with intaking clear fluids (water, tea, lemonade, fruit juice, coconut water). There are a variety of flavored electrolyte packets/tablets that you add to water, which enhance palatabiltiy. Nunn’s Tablets are my personal favorite. Emergence-C is another widely available supplement.

Many people find taking Mira-Lax helpful during intestinal surgery recovery. As an osmotic laxative, Mira-Lax acts to draw water into the lower colon - making fecal material easier to pass through inflamed and narrowed intestinal spaces. Mira-Lax is not a stimulant laxative and can be used safely without risk of laxative dependency. 100% pure grape juice (dark or white grape juice) has natural flavonoids that promote intestinal motility. Read the label carefully to make sure that the product is 100% juice (not a juice blend, not from concentrate, with no added water). You want 100% grape juice. Drink 8-12 ounces of grape juice a day.

As you advance in recovery, explore integrating basic yoga postures into your daily routine. Yoga postures are an excellent means to stretch scar tissue and adhesions. Yoga also serves as a type of intestinal massage, kneading the intestinal tract, acting to facilitate intestinal motility. You need not be a human pretzel to benefit from yoga.
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”