HELP! Blood in stool - colon cancer or something else?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Binkl182

HELP! Blood in stool - colon cancer or something else?

Postby Binkl182 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:15 pm

Hey,

When I went to use the toilet today I noticed some blood in my stool. It came out as a liquid in the bowl, but a little bit on the stool itself if I recall correctly. As I wiped the blood got less and less until I couldnt see it anymore (I went back ten minutes later to wipe some more, and found no more blood). The only other symptom I have is a dull ache in what appears to be inside my anus.

Im really concerned about the ramifications this could have. I know Totalbiscuit, a well known youtuber, just died from colon cancer and experienced his first symptoms with anal bleeding. My dad told me to wait for a second occurrence to go to the doctor, but I feel concerned and would still be worried about it even if it goes away.

I should also add that I know rectal itching and diarrhea can be symptoms too. About a week ago I had a bad case of rectal itching that had me going back to wipe every two minutes or so for abut 15 minutes until I decided to put up with it. Never had that before, was weird at the time. Also, yesterday at the gym I felt the need to use the toiler sorta out of nowhere (I knew I had to use the toilet a some point soon, but it got really intense quickly.) I managed to make it home, but it was about an hour later and I couldnt hold it anymore. While it wasnt full diarrhea, it was definitely mushy.

I know internal hemerhoids can be painless, but colon cancer and other stuff can be too. Please help if you can, I really have no idea what to do. Thanks.

Age: 18 Sex: Male Weight: 290 lbs Height: 6'5" Race: White Duration of complaint: Today Location: USA

Lee

Re: HELP! Blood in stool - colon cancer or something else?

Postby Lee » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:54 pm

Binkl182 wrote:Hey,

I should also add that I know rectal itching and diarrhea can be symptoms too. About a week ago I had a bad case of rectal itching that had me going back to wipe every two minutes or so for abut 15 minutes until I decided to put up with it. Never had that before, was weird at the time. Also, yesterday at the gym I felt the need to use the toiler sorta out of nowhere (I knew I had to use the toilet a some point soon, but it got really intense quickly.) I managed to make it home, but it was about an hour later and I couldnt hold it anymore. While it wasnt full diarrhea, it was definitely mushy.

I know internal hemerhoids can be painless, but colon cancer and other stuff can be too. Please help if you can, I really have no idea what to do. Thanks.

Age: 18 Sex: Male Weight: 290 lbs Height: 6'5" Race: White Duration of complaint: Today Location: USA

Hi and welcome,

Rectal itching is usually associated with hemorrhoids, NOT colon cancer. By the shear fact you passed blood, a colonoscopy should be done, butt more than likely it's just hemorrhoids.

Yes sometimes diarrhea can be associated with colon cancer, butt it can also be associated with many other medical issues like IBS, colitis, etc. Non cancer type problems.

Please get it checked out (colonoscopy), butt try not to worry, I think it's just hemorrhoids. A colonoscopy will give you a true diagnoses, anything else is just a speculation.

Keep us posted.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

SteveNZ

Postby SteveNZ » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:42 pm

Thank you Lee for sharing that wisdom.

Bibkl, please do go and get things checked out. Cancer is just one of many issues with symptoms like that (doesn't sound it at all but I am no Dr to advise with any wisdom) and you will feel much happier knowing what is up. A good doctor will be able to help. All the best.
I like to almost joke that the preparation for a colonoscopy (rear end all go..... with a handy bathroom required) is the worse part of it all. Although rather humbling (believe me you lose that quickly) many bowel issues can be identified from this procedure and more importantly no sign of cancer will put your mind at ease.
Aged 56 - I feel really young...
Colo-Rectal Cancer T2 N1 M0
March 2018 - Diagnosis
April-May 2018 Radiation+Chemo then a TIA (Minor Stroke). - Stopped Chemo.
August 27th-November 2018 - Surgery and long, long recovery
*Decided to live to 100 as I will get a telegram from Her Majesty the Queen when 100yrs old. I so, so want one.
Am a Salvation Army chap so I complete 'knee drill' (prayer) to the Commander in Chief often. For myself personally this helps me through.

Binkl182

Postby Binkl182 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Lee wrote:
Binkl182 wrote:Hey,

Hi and welcome,

Rectal itching is usually associated with hemorrhoids, NOT colon cancer. By the shear fact you passed blood, a colonoscopy should be done, butt more than likely it's just hemorrhoids.

Yes sometimes diarrhea can be associated with colon cancer, butt it can also be associated with many other medical issues like IBS, colitis, etc. Non cancer type problems.

Please get it checked out (colonoscopy), butt try not to worry, I think it's just hemorrhoids. A colonoscopy will give you a true diagnoses, anything else is just a speculation.

Keep us posted.

Lee

I went to see the doctor two nights ago, the night I created this post. She is a regular pediatric doctor. I described my symptoms, and she told me it was an anal tear (fissure). She told me to take laxatives, and get more fiber in my diet. She didnt do tests or anything, though. So Im not sure. There was less blood in my stool today (it was solely on the stool itself, and not as a liquid floating in the bowl.) I also felt a little come out while at the gym today, and when I wiped there was some blood. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for initially replying, and thanks for reading this again!

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:57 pm

Binkl182 wrote:... I described my symptoms, and she told me it was an anal tear (fissure). She told me to take laxatives, and get more fiber in my diet...

If you have an anal fissure, then it could heal in a couple of weeks or so, provided your stools are kept soft and no constipation develops. Hard stools will re-injure the wound and the healing process will have to start all over again from the beginning.

You might also have an anal fistula. If so, this would require surgery to patch up the defect. A fistula is different from a fissure.

I think you should probably have an exam by a gastroenterologist to confirm the initial diagnosis and see what else might he going on.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”