Can someone please shed some light

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mypyh4oo

Can someone please shed some light

Postby Mypyh4oo » Mon May 28, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi guys.

This is my first post on here and hoping that I could get some opinions on the below as it’s making my anxiety worse by the day.

About 2 months ago I started to see bright red streaks of blood when passing stool. I remember at the time I was consuming quite a lot of food daily and my diet wasn’t so great due to the fact that I was moving house. Anyway fast forward to now... I seem to be getting those red streaks on and off with my stools being light brown in colour and normal shape no diarrhoea or cramping etc.

What I do experience is glass like feeling when passing stools which can then last and become itchy for several hours after I’ve been to the toilet.

Went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago and was diagnosed with hemorroids ... upped my intake of fibre etc but The bright red streaks would only return from time to time. I went again for a second appointment with a different doctor who couldn’t find anything and referred me to the hospital for further diagnosis. Now I’ve had a referral letter from the hospital but no call as of yet presuming that they must think my symptoms aren’t that serious ...

I’m really scared that it’s somerhing far worse than it actually is. My anus would be itchy and burning after passing stool and also the glass like pain when passing stool isn’t helping.

Can anybody please shed some light on this ?? I can’t speed up the process as I’ve been referred to
The hospital already and I need to wait to be contacted by them.

Thank you everyone

Mypyh4oo

Re: Can someone please shed some light

Postby Mypyh4oo » Mon May 28, 2018 5:12 pm

I forgot to mention that the blood streak appears once am at the end of the bowel movement aka the last piece ..

I’ve had fissures in the past and I’ve had to use ointment creams so the symptoms are similar ... I passed a rather large and hard stool at the beggining of March I remember this if this is of any help

Thanks again for your reply’s

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon May 28, 2018 5:28 pm

Mypyh4oo wrote:Hi guys.

What I do experience is glass like feeling when passing stools which can then last and become itchy for several hours after I’ve been to the toilet.

I’m really scared that it’s somerhing far worse than it actually is. My anus would be itchy and burning after passing stool and also the glass like pain when passing stool isn’t helping.

Can anybody please shed some light on this ?? I can’t speed up the process as I’ve been referred to

Thank you everyone

It sure does sound like you have hemorrhoids, BUTT by the shear fact you are passing blood, you should request a colonoscopy.

How old are you, where are you?

Do get it checked out, don't let the medical team tell you don't need a scope because you might be too young. There are many people here diagnosed under the age of 50,

During the mean time, try not to worry, sounds like hemorrhoids.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Mypyh4oo

Postby Mypyh4oo » Mon May 28, 2018 5:41 pm

Lee wrote:
Mypyh4oo wrote:Hi guys.

Thank you everyone

It sure does sound like you have hemorrhoids, BUTT by the shear fact you are passing blood, you should request a colonoscopy.

How old are you, where are you?

Do get it checked out, don't let the medical team tell you don't need a scope because you might be too young. There are many people here diagnosed under the age of 50,

During the mean time, try not to worry, sounds like hemorrhoids.

Lee

Thanks for your reply. I’m in the U.K. and just about to turn 26. No family history as far as am aware. My mum is a nurse and recommended a colonoscopy ASAP but she did say it sounded like a fissure.

I’ve been referred to the hospital just awaiting for them to contact me for next steps.

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon May 28, 2018 7:06 pm

Mypyh4oo wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I’m in the U.K. and just about to turn 26. No family history as far as am aware. My mum is a nurse and recommended a colonoscopy ASAP but she did say it sounded like a fissure.

I’ve been referred to the hospital just awaiting for them to contact me for next steps.

Yes I agree, the glass pain is probably a fissure, the itchy is hemorrhoids.

Be prepared for Dr.(s), to say "oh it just hemorrhoids, or this or that". Find a doctor who will do the scope (even it comes out of your pocket $$). By the shear fact you have rectal bleeding, a scope should be done. That is a true diagnoses, anything else is a speculation. And your life is worth more than a speculation.

For what it is worth, I had no pain, just bleeding hemorrhoids, which my Dr confirmed. He figured those hemorrhoids were my reason for getting my baseline scope early in life. I truly believe that referral saved my life.

Many years prior my mother ended up in ER, rectal bleeding and stomach pain. A colonoscopy was done, no cancer, not even one polyps, just a bad case of diverticulitis. Colon cancer is a silent killer.

Good luck, and keep us posted,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Mypyh4oo

Postby Mypyh4oo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:34 am

Hi guys,
It’s me again.
So I’m still waiting on my hospital appointment after being referred a while back.
Since I first visited my GP who advised me to increase my fibre intake which I did do I did see that the red streaks stopped for 2/3 weeks,however it’s just flared up again. Another thing to mention is that since I’ve upped my fibre and water intake I’m now regular every morning at the same time sometimes twice in a day.

I normally get really itchy bottom after bowel movement and have to take a shower. Today I had a problem again with a harder stool which caused first bleeding in weeks.

I’m going to the doctors again today whilst waiting on the hospital to contact me.

I’m feeling scared , anxious and my partner will no longer discuss it with me to make me feel at ease. Can somebody please give me their thoughts on the recent events I’ve described above?

Thank you

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:40 am

Have you considered taking a mild stool softener?
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable
6/28/19 Pause Key, predisone for joint pain
7/31/19 Restart Key
9/19 CT stable
Pain: all fails but Celebrex
12/23/19 CT stable
5/20 MRI stable/NED
6/20 Stop Key
All MRIs NED

Mypyh4oo

Postby Mypyh4oo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Fast forward to today and I’ve not seen any blood on my stools for over 2 months now. The sharp glass like feeling is gone when passing stools. Still regular in the morning , no constipation. However still experience burning sensation and itching after I’ve passed stool and sometimes even washing properly doesent get rid of it.

Having sigmoidoscopy next Wednesday and scared. Hoping it’s only hemmoroids.

Any ideas so far?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”