CEA and the chicken pox virus?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lpas

CEA and the chicken pox virus?

Postby lpas » Sat May 26, 2018 8:56 pm

This is probably going to seem like an odd question, but does anyone know if exposure to the chicken pox virus could cause an increase in CEA? My CEA spiked a bit with this most recent blood draw (from 1.6 to 2.2). You can see from the numbers in my sig that somewhere between 1.3 and 1.6 is pretty much my norm these days. Of course, I've been wracking my brain try to come up with a benign explanation and it occurred to me that my daughter has the chicken pox. I've had it before myself--so presumably I'm immune--but it got me wondering if exposure to the virus could increase inflammation? I know higher inflammation generally means a higher CEA.

I'm probably grasping at straws but thought I'd at least throw the question out there. Thx!
11/14 Dx sigmoid CC @ 45yo
12/14 Colectomy + hysterectomy
Stage IIIB, T3N1bM0, 2/20 nodes, MSS, G2, KRAS(A146T), TP53, SMAD4, ERBB2, CEA 1.0
2/15-7/15 XELOX & celecoxib
2/19 clean scope
11/19 clean CT
Ongoing cimetidine & other targeted supplements
Mom to a 6 & 8yo

CRguy

Re: CEA and the chicken pox virus?

Postby CRguy » Sat May 26, 2018 11:48 pm

As noted ... ANY inflammation in the body can kick the CEA up, especially lung/thoracic issues.
Yes, we both have been here long enough to have heard THAT before .... :shock:

BUTT .... just a thought :
if you've had chickenpox, you have immunity, your immune system would react to a new exposure and create
.... wait for it !!!! ... an inflammatory response to a known virus, right ?

AND since the virus also causes shingles in folks later on after they've had chickenpox,
the virus is actually also latent in your system ( and about a gazillion other adults who had chickenpox as kids ! )

I would say : until PROVEN otherwise, the CEA uptick is more likely due to the other various and sundry causes of CEA upticks
and likely NOT a CRC issue.
JMO

you know the drill ... recheck, monitor trends, do other testing as and when required
BUTT .... don't let it consume you

Cheers and Harmony
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Re: CEA and the chicken pox virus?

Postby susie0915 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:46 am

My CEA is generally less than .5. However last summer it was 1.0. My oncologist told me not to worry and the next draw was back to less than .5. Your increase is very small and is still well within the normal range. I agree I wouldn't worry about it and the biggest indicator would be the trend. If it continues to rise, then it may be something to warrant further testing. Try not to worry.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod