Husband diagnosed with rectosigmoid cancer...overwhelmed!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Daniellabella

Husband diagnosed with rectosigmoid cancer...overwhelmed!

Postby Daniellabella » Thu May 24, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I am sorry we all have to meet here under these conditions, but I’m happy for the support and information we can share.

My husband was diagnosed with rectosigmoid cancer yesterday, after a sigmoidoscopy. He had been having bleeding, cramps, fullness and other symptoms, so the doctor booked him in ASAP.

We will get the pathology results in Tuesday, and he is scheduled for a CT scan, MRI and full colonoscopy by June 7.

A few questions.....

1. Why would we be asked to meet with surgeon I’d colonoscopy, MRI and CT aren’t done?

2. Is the cancer rectal or colon? My understanding is colon cancers have surgery, and rectal cancers have radiation/chemo and surgery after.
If this is so, why did the doctor that did the sigmoidoscopy make it sound like it’s colon (stating surgery first, then chemo)?

3. My husband has a 6 cm non-circumferential más at about 10-11 cm from the anal verge. What’s this mean? Is it particularly bad?

4. The photos taken during the sigmoidoscopy show lots of brown and white patches. Is that the cancer? If so, I am FREAKED OUT because it looked like tons of bulbous, bubbly skin with white polka dots and long, twisted, brown bands that looked like worms. Does that sound like stage 4?

Geoman

Re: Husband diagnosed with rectosigmoid cancer...overwhelmed!

Postby Geoman » Thu May 24, 2018 10:19 pm

Daniellabella wrote:Hi everyone,

I am sorry we all have to meet here under these conditions, but I’m happy for the support and information we can share.

My husband was diagnosed with rectosigmoid cancer yesterday, after a sigmoidoscopy. He had been having bleeding, cramps, fullness and other symptoms, so the doctor booked him in ASAP.

We will get the pathology results in Tuesday, and he is scheduled for a CT scan, MRI and full colonoscopy by June 7.

A few questions.....

1. Why would we be asked to meet with surgeon I’d colonoscopy, MRI and CT aren’t done?

This is not bad. Gives you opportunity to feel him/her out. There will be more consults.

2. Is the cancer rectal or colon? My understanding is colon cancers have surgery, and rectal cancers have radiation/chemo and surgery after.

Rectosigmoid means cancer originated in rectum or sigmoid colon which is just above rectum.

If this is so, why did the doctor that did the sigmoidoscopy make it sound like it’s colon (stating surgery first, then chemo)?

Many factors can impact treatment. I would suggest you visit fightcrc.org. They provide good info on staging and treatments. Look for “guide in the fight” document. If it is cancer you will need an oncologist that will work with team to determine a treatment plan.

3. My husband has a 6 cm non-circumferential más at about 10-11 cm from the anal verge. What’s this mean? Is it particularly bad?

It’s defining the size and location of the tumor. It sounds as if the tumor is near the rectum and sigmoid colon. The location/extent of disease will be a factor in the treatment plan.

4. The photos taken during the sigmoidoscopy show lots of brown and white patches. Is that the cancer? If so, I am FREAKED OUT because it looked like tons of bulbous, bubbly skin with white polka dots and long, twisted, brown bands that looked like worms. Does that sound like stage 4?

Stage is determine by cancer impact. What is extent of disease spread. Stage will be determined once further tests are run.

I know this is overwhelming. Try not to get ahead of yourself. My advice: if cancer, find a reputable cancer center for treatments: take notes at your doctor visits: research the disease so you know what questions to ask: don’t be afraid to get second opinions-you are your best advocate for your health.
Dx @ 44, rectal cancer-stage 4 with Mets to liver 8/16
CEA 19
Kras g12d; Braf
Ypt3,ypN1a,ypM1
5 rounds 5fu with avastin (4) 9/16-11/16
PVE/Liver Resection 12/16
28 days rad/xeloda 2/17-3/17
APR-4/17
Clear Margins
7 rounds 5Fu with avastin- 5/17-8/17
CEA-1.2
NED-12/17, 1/18,
Multiple spots in lungs-5/18

Soccermom2boys

Postby Soccermom2boys » Thu May 24, 2018 10:47 pm

Hi Daniellabella—welcome to the best club nobody ever wants to have to join! I see that you have posted on the tail end of a few threads as well as starting your own—always good to start your own thread like this when you want a lot of traffic to see your questions, etc.

I am by no means an expert, but I could sense the panic and worry in your posts and wanted to help out as best as I can.
Daniellabella wrote:

1. Chances are that the doctor who did the sigmoidoscopy knew from the appearance of it that it was in all likelihood cancer. When their job is to look for these things day in and day out, they have a pretty good sense (certainly not perfect, but a high percentage of accuracy) when they believe they are dealing with a cancerous mass. As for the surgeon, make sure he/she is board certified for colorectal surgery—makes a big difference as that is their specialty working in that particular area.

2. Well based on it being at the recto-sigmoid junction, could go either way and perhaps even be considered both as I have heard a few on here be in that same boat. Don’t get too far ahead of it yet, wait for the colonoscopy which is the number one test you want performed first and foremost for helping with diagnosis/staging.

3. Again, I am not an expert, but my understanding of non-circumferential is just how it is “spread” out on that section of the rectum/Colon wall. I don’t believe it makes a difference and that it is just a descriptor of how the mass is laid out, but that is just my belief—perhaps someone with more knowledge will be able to confirm or deny this?

4. If it makes you feel better, no one’s interior pics look great—keep in mind what you are looking at. :shock: As for being a stage IV, that has nothing to do with appearances, one is considered stage IV if their cancer has spread to an area/organ outside of the colon (metastatic). One is considered a stage III (like me :( ) if there are lymph nodes that test positive for cancer. Stage I and II depend on the depth of the tumor. So wait until your husband gets the colonoscopy and pathology reports and then the CT scan and MRI to fully know what all you are dealing with.

I truly empathize with you both—I was going through that nightmare of diagnosis three years ago this August and I know it sucks and feels like you’ll never get back to some semblance of peace, but it just takes time. You want to rush on the one hand because you want to get the cancer out, trust me, we all felt that same way at the start, but you also get one shot at a first chance to target it accurately so also take the time to get a proper diagnosis and find a team (oncologist, surgeon and possibly radiologist) that you truly feel good about as you are literally entrusting them with your husband’s life. Many people do second or third opinions until they get that right fit. Chances are that tumor has been in there for a bit so if it needs to wait another few weeks before you get a treatment plan in place, it will be worth the wait.

Every time you find a new piece of information out, come back and update us and ask questions. There is always someone here who is willing and able to answer your questions—we’ll let you know we’re not experts, but we can share our experiences to help you gauge your husband’s. Do the best you can to hold it all together until you get those tests done and find out more definitively what your husband is dealing with.
8/3/15 Went in with a hemorrhoid, came out with a tumor
8/12/15 Biopsy from colonoscopy confirms RC (45 yrs old--zero family history!)
9/21 - 10/29/15 chemorad 28 tx (with Xeloda)
12/17/15 APR with perm colostomy
Pathology report stages me as IIIA (T2N1M0)--1/15 LN detects cancer
2/3/16 chemo port inserted
2/8-6/2/16 8 rounds of Folfox

Daniellabella

Postby Daniellabella » Thu May 24, 2018 11:12 pm

Geoman wrote:

A few questions.....

This is not bad. Gives you opportunity to feel him/her out. There will be more consults.

Rectosigmoid means cancer originated in rectum or sigmoid colon which is just above rectum.

Many factors can impact treatment. I would suggest you visit fightcrc.org. They provide good info on staging and treatments. Look for “guide in the fight” document. If it is cancer you will need an oncologist that will work with team to determine a treatment plan.

It’s defining the size and location of the tumor. It sounds as if the tumor is near the rectum and sigmoid colon. The location/extent of disease will be a factor in the treatment plan.

Stage is determine by cancer impact. What is extent of disease spread. Stage will be determined once further tests are run.

I know this is overwhelming. Try not to get ahead of yourself. My advice: if cancer, find a reputable cancer center for treatments: take notes at your doctor visits: research the disease so you know what questions to ask: don’t be afraid to get second opinions-you are your best advocate for your health.

Thank you!

This is great advice!!!

Daniellabella

Postby Daniellabella » Thu May 24, 2018 11:19 pm

Soccermom2boys wrote:Hi Daniellabella—welcome to the best club nobody ever wants to have to join! I see that you have posted on the tail end of a few threads as well as starting your own—always good to start your own thread like this when you want a lot of traffic to see your questions, etc.

I am by no means an expert, but I could sense the panic and worry in your posts and wanted to help out as best as I can.
Daniellabella wrote:

1. Chances are that the doctor who did the sigmoidoscopy knew from the appearance of it that it was in all likelihood cancer. When their job is to look for these things day in and day out, they have a pretty good sense (certainly not perfect, but a high percentage of accuracy) when they believe they are dealing with a cancerous mass. As for the surgeon, make sure he/she is board certified for colorectal surgery—makes a big difference as that is their specialty working in that particular area.

2. Well based on it being at the recto-sigmoid junction, could go either way and perhaps even be considered both as I have heard a few on here be in that same boat. Don’t get too far ahead of it yet, wait for the colonoscopy which is the number one test you want performed first and foremost for helping with diagnosis/staging.

3. Again, I am not an expert, but my understanding of non-circumferential is just how it is “spread” out on that section of the rectum/Colon wall. I don’t believe it makes a difference and that it is just a descriptor of how the mass is laid out, but that is just my belief—perhaps someone with more knowledge will be able to confirm or deny this?

4. If it makes you feel better, no one’s interior pics look great—keep in mind what you are looking at. :shock: As for being a stage IV, that has nothing to do with appearances, one is considered stage IV if their cancer has spread to an area/organ outside of the colon (metastatic). One is considered a stage III (like me :( ) if there are lymph nodes that test positive for cancer. Stage I and II depend on the depth of the tumor. So wait until your husband gets the colonoscopy and pathology reports and then the CT scan and MRI to fully know what all you are dealing with.

I truly empathize with you both—I was going through that nightmare of diagnosis three years ago this August and I know it sucks and feels like you’ll never get back to some semblance of peace, but it just takes time. You want to rush on the one hand because you want to get the cancer out, trust me, we all felt that same way at the start, but you also get one shot at a first chance to target it accurately so also take the time to get a proper diagnosis and find a team (oncologist, surgeon and possibly radiologist) that you truly feel good about as you are literally entrusting them with your husband’s life. Many people do second or third opinions until they get that right fit. Chances are that tumor has been in there for a bit so if it needs to wait another few weeks before you get a treatment plan in place, it will be worth the wait.

Every time you find a new piece of information out, come back and update us and ask questions. There is always someone here who is willing and able to answer your questions—we’ll let you know we’re not experts, but we can share our experiences to help you gauge your husband’s. Do the best you can to hold it all together until you get those tests done and find out more definitively what your husband is dealing with.

Thank you for this reply!

You have me in tears. You are right, so am panicked but Im trying not to show that to my husband, so it all comes out in the internet. I really appreciate you taking the to write such a long response.

The point you made about taking the time to assemble a good team is spot on. The tumor has likely been growing for years, so what’s 2-3 more weeks?

I’m feeling very happy and comfortable with the surgeon. He’s very well-thought of and successful in terms of many happy patients.

I’m more worried that my husbands rectal mass is only 10-12 cm from the anal verge. Once you also consider wanting clean margins, is there enough left to “hook him back up?”

See, there I go again! I need to be more patient and wait for more info....it’s just so hard.

Thank you for sharing your advice and experience. What wonderful news that your 3 years in and still here!!! I pray the same good fortune for my husband.

Bless you!

SteveNZ

Postby SteveNZ » Thu May 24, 2018 11:59 pm

I am sorry we all have to meet here under these conditions, but I’m happy for the support and information we can share.....

Hi Daniellbella,
As folk have shared please do not worry.
I have cancer like that but very low in the rectum. So yes am currently undergoing radiation therapy (chemo started but had to be stopped) and it is not nice but chances of beating this are very good. My understanding is that the decision for radiation+chemo before hand is due to the physical location. ie The lower rectum is hard to get at (for an operation and all that it entails) but is also in a location that can be radiated to shrink the tumour with least damage to vital organs.
I have an excellent team of surgeon, radiation oncologist, chemo oncologist and all departments at the hospital are interacted with as required.

You won't know what is really up until the other tests.
Folk here care so do keep in touch.
Steve
PS- Do laugh and enjoy the preparation for the colonoscopy. I mean that in good fun as for folk who have been there, and caregivers, it is not easy to do with a straight face. :D I forgot you have probably had this '..fun time..' already.
Aged 56 - I feel really young...
Colo-Rectal Cancer T2 N1 M0
March 2018 - Diagnosis
April-May 2018 Radiation+Chemo then a TIA (Minor Stroke). - Stopped Chemo.
August 27th-November 2018 - Surgery and long, long recovery
*Decided to live to 100 as I will get a telegram from Her Majesty the Queen when 100yrs old. I so, so want one.
Am a Salvation Army chap so I complete 'knee drill' (prayer) to the Commander in Chief often. For myself personally this helps me through.

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Fri May 25, 2018 1:38 am

Daniellabella wrote:Does anyone know if staging can be done with just biopsies and pictures from a sigmoidoscopy?

Does a CT or MRI also need to be done?

I ask bc my husband was diagnosed yesterday and the surgeon appointment will be Tuesday, yet there’s been no CT/MRI.

Normally, staging prior to surgery cannot be done without using some sort of imaging. Staging prior to surgery is called Clinical Staging.

For pre-surgery "Clinical Staging", imaging is needed for all three parts of the TNM staging system:

- T - Usually, MRI, ultrasound, or PET/CT are needed to determine the depth of invasion of the tumor into the colon or rectum wall.
- N - Usually, CT or other scans are needed to detect abnormal local lymph nodes. Sigmoidoscope.cameras cannot see or detect lymph nodes because the lymph nodes are outside the colon wall. Scopes can only see things on the inside of the colon wall.
- M - Usually, X-ray, CT, MRI, PET/CT, or ultrasound are used separately or in combination to detect abnormalities in remote organs like the liver, lungs, etc.
Sigmoidoscopes cannot be used to do this because they cannot detect anything beyond the inside of the rectum or left colon wall.

Clinical Staging is not complete until all three components,T, N, and M are assessed. A complete assesment cannot be done just using a sigmoidoscope. Biopsies in remote organs cannot be done either without first doing some sort of imaging or visual scan to detect where the suspicious spots or lesions are located.

Please read the articles below on staging and imaging.
Cancer Staging
https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/staging.html

Imaging (Radiology) Tests for Cancer
https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/imaging-radiology-tests-for-cancer.html

Chest X-ray

A chest x-ray may be taken to determine if the cancer has spread to your lungs and to provide information about the general health of your lungs, which is important when making treatment plans.

CT scans

A CT scan creates a cross sectional, 3D image of the body. The scan gives detailed pictures of the tumour(s) and surrounding tissues and organs, enabling the doctors treating you to gain an accurate picture of the tumour, and its location.

PET-CT scan

A CT scan can be combined with a PET scan which is a medical imaging technique which produces a three-dimensional, colour image of your body. When taken together, the results can be combined to show where there are any cell changes in the body, and whether the cancer has spread.

MRI scan

A MRI scan uses magnetic and radio waves (not X-rays) to show the tumour(s) in great detail. During the scan you will have to lie in the scanner for up to an hour, and, whilst it is very noisy, it is painless. Let the doctors know in advance if you are claustrophobic.

Reference: https://www.bowelcanceraustralia.org/media-and-resources

SurvivorsSpouse

Postby SurvivorsSpouse » Fri May 25, 2018 8:26 am

Daniellabella wrote:
Soccermom2boys wrote:Hi Daniellabella—welcome to the best club nobody ever wants to have to join! I see that you have posted on the tail end of a few threads as well as starting your own—always good to start your own thread like this when you want a lot of traffic to see your questions, etc.

Daniellabella wrote:

Thank you for this reply!

You have me in tears. You are right, so am panicked but Im trying not to show that to my husband, so it all comes out in the internet. I really appreciate you taking the to write such a long response.

The point you made about taking the time to assemble a good team is spot on. The tumor has likely been growing for years, so what’s 2-3 more weeks?

I’m feeling very happy and comfortable with the surgeon. He’s very well-thought of and successful in terms of many happy patients.

I’m more worried that my husbands rectal mass is only 10-12 cm from the anal verge. Once you also consider wanting clean margins, is there enough left to “hook him back up?”

See, there I go again! I need to be more patient and wait for more info....it’s just so hard.

Thank you for sharing your advice and experience. What wonderful news that your 3 years in and still here!!! I pray the same good fortune for my husband.

Bless you!

My wife had a mass 12cm from the verge and woke up from surgery WITHOUT an Ostomy. We went to a high volume colorectal surgery center to increase her chances.

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Mon May 28, 2018 2:43 pm

I'm sorry you and your husband are going through this!*hugs* My cancer was in the rectosigmoid junction but was high enough to be considered colon cancer. I had a colonoscopy, blood work, and ct scan and went to see the surgeon when I was diagnosed. I also had an MRI to better visualize the tumor. The ct scan was to see if it had spread. I didn't find out final staging until after pathology was back following surgery. I didn't have chemo as the oncologist didn't recommend it. I was stage 2a. I have been in remission since surgery. I hope your husband's appointment for results goes well!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”