Situation Update- would appreciate your input!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
FindTheBestHelp

Situation Update- would appreciate your input!

Postby FindTheBestHelp » Wed May 23, 2018 4:35 pm

After about 2.5 years from surgery to chemo to NED CEA started rising for 6 quarters and ct scan and pet scan confirmed a mass 1cmx3cm in same general area as original colon cancer for which a total colectomy was performed. There appears to be no scans showing metasasis and the mass in the right abdominal region doesn't seem to be on any organ but is around fatty tissue or something. Surgeon thinks he can get it out, oncologist said because there was recurrence the chemo may not be fully affective against this particular cancer so removal followed by NED and no metasasis is best option. Oncologist also said am candidate for immunity therapy but didn't think any maintenance chemo regimen would work since folfox was used the first time and a recurrence happened.

Questions:

1. Could the mass from recurrence in same general location as original colon cancer mean some of the cancer was not fully removed 4 years ago? It was done laproscopically for minimal invasiveness and this time the surgeon said its best to go thru the belly. Wondering if the surgeon was inintentionally implying it may have been better 4 years ago to go thru the nelly to better get to and remove the cancer and margins.

2. Since the new mass is around some fatty tissue or something like that could it have been keeping the cancer isolated in the abdominal region instead of spreading elsewhere?

3. Is the oncologist right that 5fu and oxy are best known treatment currently and if 6 months of it (easing off oxy in last months) results in recurrence the it means it was not effective and no maintenance chemo is a real option?

4. If onc says an one of 10-15% eligible as candidate for immuno therapy, would it not be better to try after surgery rather than play waiting and monitoring game to see if cancer comes back or spreads?

5. Last surgery 4 years ago, came close to blood transfusion due to low platelet count. Doc decides to give extra day of monitoring since transfusion may impact cancer patients immune system fight off cancer. Worried this time with more invasive surgery, will come close to needing blood transfusion. Can I do anything before surgery to help my platelet count and overall body be strong enough to withstand surgery and avoid transfusion?

6. Anything I can do post surgery to reduce risk of recurrence/metasasis? Turmeric, baby aspirin, mushrooms, keto diet for reduced carns and sugar, to slow down cancer rather than feed it?

What else would you do or ask your surgeon and oncologist??

Thank you all kindly in advance. I hope that you please take the time to read thru my questions and provide helpful feedback. Needless to say, I am scared.

CEA went from 1.x to now 6.1. So next time I know there is a strong correlation between CEA increase and cancer activity in personal case.

stu

Re: Situation Update- would appreciate your input!

Postby stu » Thu May 24, 2018 1:41 am

Hi ,
Really sorry you are having to go through more surgery but glad you can and put it behind you .
I don’t know if it would be microdisease or a new tumour but open surgery to get a good look around seems a good plan to me .
I don’t actually agree with the chemo analysis as my mum has a good response to chemo and used it twice , knocking large tumours off the scan . However we have always been told it works better on fast growing visible tumours than it does on slow growing microdisease . Hence it’s used in certain settings . She never has it post operatively for that reason but our treatment protocol is different . She has also stuck with the same chemo combination when it was used.
All the very best with your surgery.
Take care,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .