Melanoma as secondary cancer for CRC?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Krash

Melanoma as secondary cancer for CRC?

Postby Krash » Tue May 22, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi Everyone....I have been on these boards on and off for the last 2.5 years but I never registered. I didn't think I'd have anything important to add. I have appreciated everyone's posts over the last couple of years and I've learned a lot. In summary, my wife had a semi-prolapse intestine 2.5 years ago which aggravated her appendix. When they did the surgery, they found a 5cm malignant CRC tumor. They did a resection of about 1/3 of the colon and removed 22 nodes which were all negative (Stage 1). She was hospitalized for about a week the first time due to problems with anemia. My wife is now vegan, exercises everyday, and has seen a lot of different doctors. For some reason she started having large kidney stones which was another short hospital stay.

She started having nerve issues so they have ordered an MRI of her neck and spine. Her primary care said she thinks it could be MS. I'm not convinced since lesions of the spine from secondary cancer seem as probable as MS with a history of already having CRC.

Last night we were getting into the pool and I noticed a very large discolored mole on her back that I had never noticed before. I'm sure the dermatologist would have noticed it during her last appointment 4 months ago if it was this big. She made an appointment this morning to go back in a couple weeks to have it checked out. I happened to be talking to a friend this morning and she said that her father had CRC and now has melanoma which they believe was propagated by the CRC. I can't find any info online of this happening. Has anyone known or have experience of CRC causing melanoma? While rare, has anyone seen CRC metastases to the spine? Could all these things be linked?

I know I should just wait for the test results but I just keep thinking about it...

Vegas

Re: Melanoma as secondary cancer for CRC?

Postby Vegas » Tue May 22, 2018 11:14 pm

My dad was diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma two weeks before his stage IV colon cancer diagnosis. I mentioned the skin cancer along with some other family history to my gastroenterologist at the time and she indicated that there may be a link related to Lynch Syndrome. However, my dad was never tested for Lynch.

Here is a link to an article that discuss potential links between skin and colon cancer.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-skin-cancer/skin-cancer-colon-cancer-syndrome-may-be-linked-idUSKUA37215220080213
Dad has Stage IV CC w/mets to liver, lungs & peritoneal
Type 2 Diabetic, Gilbert's
1/12 DX & Resection (liver mets)
1/13 Allergic reaction to Erbitux
8/13 Vectibix & low dose Irinotecan
12/13 Pleurx Catheter
At Peace March 2014

Krash

Postby Krash » Wed May 23, 2018 7:33 am

Thanks for the response Vegas. Doing research yesterday I found a lot of info about Muir-Torre syndrome. Depending on the test results for my wife over the next couple weeks, I think she should request some genetic testing.

Thanks again!

LPL

Postby LPL » Fri May 25, 2018 11:50 am

Hi Krash and Vegas,
My friend got a spot checked resently and it was basal cell carcinoma and her husband had a spot removed on his back. They/the doctor think his is melanoma. I’m trying to help finding a good place for them to get info/support, a good place like Colon Club!
Do you know of such a Place?
Wishing that your wife’s spot is benign Krash.
Kind regards /LPL
DH @ 65 DX 4/11/16 CC recto-sigmoid junction
Adenocarcenoma 35x15x9mm G3(biopsi) G1(surgical)
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D
CEA & CA19-9: 5/18 2.5 78 8/17 1.4 48 2/14/17 1.8 29
4 Folfox 6/15-7/30 (b4 liver surgery) 8 after
CT: 8/8 no change 3/27/17 NED->Jan-19 mets to lung NED again Oct-19 :)
:!: Steroid induced hyperglycemia dx after 3chemo
Surgeries 2016: 3/18 Emergency colostomy
5/23 Primary+gallbl+stoma reversal+port 9/1 Liver mets
RFA 2019: Feb & Oct lung mets

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”