Chemo question-stage 4 colon

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Trying

Chemo question-stage 4 colon

Postby Trying » Thu May 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Hello..i had my port inserted yesterday but chemo starts in couple weeks. I have only seen oncologist once but am having other tests done while i wait for my next appt. (pett scan and genetic scan)
When it comes to chemo does a certain type only work a few months or so then you need a new type or once one spots working there's not much hope? I have 10 tumors on liver on each side now too so they are saying inoperable. Im ginding google more scary than hopeful. I am in canada so not sure if treatment here os mich different. Sorry for all the questions. Im iyst a scared mom with a baby.
38 yr old single mom of almost 2 year old at the time
April 2018 colon cancer stage IV 10 liver mets and peri met. Folfox and 12 rounds oxyplatin
Fec 2018 Down to 2 mets in liver. 8 dissapeared
July 2019 switched to xeloda pills as I prefer to 3 day infusion. Also on avistan
Oct 2019 emergency colostomy due to perforated bowel. ( unreal pain)
Feb 2020 show 2mm tumor increase.
Plan to go back on oxy
Oxy failed- irinotecan as of of Sept 2020

Detox

Re: Chemo question-stage 4 colon

Postby Detox » Thu May 17, 2018 9:56 pm

They'll probably start you on Folfox or Folfox plus Avastin. Most patients respond well to chemo, in other words tumor shrinkage. So hopefully your tumors will shrink enough to the point where you can become a candidate for liver resection and attain NED status if the chemo does its job. If Folfox stops working several months later and they can't surgically remove tumors at that point, then yes, you would switch to a difference chemo "cocktail".

As a fellow stage IV patient, I can give you advice to try to work hard to take care of yourself, such as maxing out on Vitamin D (at least 10,000 IU) if you can handle it, eating lots of anti-cancer foods such as cruciferous vegetables, etc. Many cynical doctors will tell you it's worthless but I think it helped me, I just can't prove it scientifically.

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Fri May 18, 2018 12:24 am

Trying wrote:. I am having other tests done while i wait for my next appt. (pett scan and genetic scan)...

If they are doing genetic/genomic testing on your tumor biopsy, then when these results are completed they will have a better idea which types of chemo are likely to work on your primary tumor and the liver tumors..

Until then, the most likely approach would be to start you off on FOLFOX + Avastin and see how it goes.

I have heard that in some Canadian provinces it sometimes takes a long time to get genetic testing results. You can ask your oncologist when they expect to have the results of your genetic/genomic tests.

DarknessEmbraced wrote:Monday I find out the results of my genetic testing. I have to be there early. It's a telehealth appointment..... I waited 15 months for my first telehealth appointment with the genetic counselor. ..

stu

Postby stu » Fri May 18, 2018 12:55 am

Hi ,
My mum is treated in the UK and have a slightly different relationship with chemo . Here the Drs give chemo for anywhere between 6/12 cycles and if shrinkage occurs to allow surgery they stop and do that but if shrinkage occurs but not enough for surgery they sometimes stop and see how the tumours behave . This pushes the time out between treatment . If this is achievable it stretches the chemo options over a longer period of time . So my mum had six months on , then six months off . As she had six months between treatment she was able to use the same chemo as no mutations had occurred . It was equally as effective . Had her tumours grown rapidly they would have kept her on permanent chemo .
Just thought it might be of interest to you to see how other areas use chemo .
My mum’s response to chemo was amazing . Knocked the tumours clear off the scan ! Hold on tight .
All the very best with your treatment ,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Stewsbetty

Postby Stewsbetty » Fri May 18, 2018 6:19 am

Trying wrote:Hello..i had my port inserted yesterday but chemo starts in couple weeks. I have only seen oncologist once but am having other tests done while i wait for my next appt. (pett scan and genetic scan)
When it comes to chemo does a certain type only work a few months or so then you need a new type or once one spots working there's not much hope? I have 10 tumors on liver on each side now too so they are saying inoperable. Im ginding google more scary than hopeful. I am in canada so not sure if treatment here os mich different. Sorry for all the questions. Im iyst a scared mom with a baby.

Hello,
I am a fellow Canadian living in BC. Here the drs are pretty set in following certain protocols. I was dx’d stage3 so I had Folfox. When I had a recurrence/metastasis I was tried on folfiri, we didn’t use avastin(bevacizumab) because I had a fistula they were worried about bleeding in. When that failed I personally pushed for use of immunotherapy since I had tested as MSI high. It is not covered by medical but I am getting it free through the manufacturers compassionate care program and B.C. cancer is covering the administration of it.
I didn’t have liver Mets so I can’t speak to the treatment of those but I am guessing that there is a good program in place for treating since that is a very common metastasis site.
Please feel free to message me directly if you like.

Beth
42yo At diagnosis. Female in BC, Canada
Dx: CC ascending
Right Hemi colectomy 06/16 clear margins
Adenocarcinoma 6cm High Grade
pT3 pN2a Stage 3
10 out of 16 lymph involved
MSI-h, Kras mut, Braf wild
Finished chemo Feb. 2017
PET scan showing active area April 2017
July 2017 CT showing LN mass and spread to other LN
Stage 4
Aug 2017 failed Fofiri
Sept 2017 keytruda scans every 3 months showing shrinkage and stability
November 2018 CT shows only 1 small tumour left
September 2019 clear CT finally NED!!!

Trying

Postby Trying » Fri May 18, 2018 11:45 am

Thank you all for your responses. Truly appreciate it.
38 yr old single mom of almost 2 year old at the time
April 2018 colon cancer stage IV 10 liver mets and peri met. Folfox and 12 rounds oxyplatin
Fec 2018 Down to 2 mets in liver. 8 dissapeared
July 2019 switched to xeloda pills as I prefer to 3 day infusion. Also on avistan
Oct 2019 emergency colostomy due to perforated bowel. ( unreal pain)
Feb 2020 show 2mm tumor increase.
Plan to go back on oxy
Oxy failed- irinotecan as of of Sept 2020

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”