Introduction/News

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
shineoflight
Facebook Username: shineoflight

Introduction/News

Postby shineoflight » Sat May 05, 2018 4:43 pm

Hello all. I have a 43 year old mom of 4 to one autistic child in the mix newly married for a few years. Last year I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon and liver cancer out of the blue diagnosed through an ER visit with stomach pain. I had a colon and liver resection followed by 8 months of chemo. My first came back clean but just had my 2nd scan and it seems Doctor was concerned about a shadow he saw on the liver. I then read the ct report which says, there are two new low attenuation foci on the liver worrisome to develop into mestatic cancer. I have my pet scan on Monday. I wish I could say I am being positive but the truth is this has threw me into a whirlwind of anxiety and depression. I am so scared that this is the beginning of the end. I am such a fighter but I am also realistic I suppose of what this could mean for my future. My cea level is within normal at 3.1, and all my liver function tests have come back normal along with all of my other blood tests. The ct report did indicate these foci were small so I suppose it would be good news that it is caught early. It is just so disheartening to have a possible recurrence only after six months of remission and I am just worried about what this means as I have so many people counting on me. If anyone has any words of advice or encouragement that would be greatly appreciated. When I heard it was a shadow I was positive it may of just been fat or oh, just scar tissue but now two small spots? For me, I guess im pretty convinced the cancer has come back. Anyone gone through anything similiar?

Strong

Re: Introduction/News

Postby Strong » Sun May 06, 2018 1:43 pm

Hey there. For starters, I'm sending hope, prayers and good energy your way for whatever comes. My something similar is a diagnosis at 44 with a wife and two kids. I was otherwise as healthy as I'd ever been. The shock still hasn't worn off.

I can't speak to the stage 4 aspect, other than to say I've got friends who've been through/ are going through this, but I do share your emotion. It's so natural and human to be scared of anything that might threaten our time with the ones we love.

My experience with every aspect of cancer - and life for that matter - tells me one day at a time is what works for me. I used to imagine myself at 95 years old, and now I think about the upcoming decade (and I restart the clock each day). Cancer taught me that I'm not, nor was I ever, invincible, and that I needed to adopt an attitude of gratitude to make my life work. It's working better that way. I wish I could've gained this new perspective another way but I'm glad to have gained it.

I'm grateful today to be part of this community of incredibly strong people, and I'll keep the good thoughts coming your way.

John
47 year old male, DX at 44
10/15 DX rectal tumor T3N1M0
11/16 6 weeks chemo-radiation
2/16 LAR and ileostomy
3/16 intestinal blockage and abscess
5/16 8 folfox treatments, (3 w/ ox, 5 w/o)
9/16 ostomy reversal
CEA <1.0 and clear scans since

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sun May 06, 2018 2:11 pm

Welcome to the group and hope you get good results from your PET scan!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:28 am

Don't despair. There are several possible avenues of advance, perhaps 2-3 steps to NED. Hepatic arterial infusion, possibly a re-operation, ordinary chemo options, experimental, metronomic or immunochemo options and newer biologicals. Even two years out (6 yrs ago) we were shrinking and dissolving liver masses by mild means.

Some information that would help comparisons with others experience and knowledge would include more basics like MSI/MSS and KRAS/BRAF status, initial and later bloodmarkers on CEA and CA199.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

stu

Postby stu » Mon May 07, 2018 3:56 am

Hi ,
I have some encouragement for you . So dismantling when you hit a bump on the road when all was looking so good . But you subject yourself to the horrible scanning process to enable quick intervention whilst it is still manageable. My mum had a quick recurrence and it felt like a body blow , she subjected herself to the process once more. More chemo and liver surgery . That was back in 2010 . The microdisease took a couple of years to reveal itself and to surgically manage it . We were thankful that it popped up in operable locations and that chemo gave her shrinkage . Today her liver remains clear seven years later . I totally agree with the above post . It can be a 2 to 3 step process to ned . It is far from over but it is the start of another procedure and that is disappointing but if you can endure that there is much to be hopeful about .
My mum continues to live a great life .
Hope this gives you a lift .
Take special care of yourself , you have a lot to push forward for .
Much love
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”